What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

If you're actually looking for a serious answer, I was shocked that Trembley let Hendrickson face Millar with the bases loaded in the 5th. He was already at about 100 pitches, he'd been getting hit hard the last two innings, and Millar hits lefties well. Sarfate was ready in the bullpen, so I thought Trembley was playing with fire by sticking with Hendrickson.

Of course, he might've been anticipating that if he brought in Sarfate, the Jays would just have the lefty Lyle Overbay pinch-hit for Millar. So it's a justifiable move. And Hendrickson ended up getting the out anyway.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're actually looking for a serious answer, I was shocked that Trembley let Hendrickson face Millar with the bases loaded in the 5th. He was already at about 100 pitches, he'd been getting hit hard the last two innings, and Millar hits lefties well. Sarfate was ready in the bullpen, so I thought Trembley was playing with fire by sticking with Hendrickson.

Of course, he might've been anticipating that if he brought in Sarfate, the Jays would just have the lefty Lyle Overbay pinch-hit for Millar. So it's a justifiable move. And Hendrickson ended up getting the out anyway.

I am actually looking for serious answers. I appreciate your post. What I would like to see is people giving examples of moves that DT makes that can't be reasonably defended. This would be strong evidence of his incompetence.

Yep, at this stage 9 of the last 13 guys had reached base against Hendrickson with several hard hits. He was completely done and he was left in to pitch with the bases loaded. We got away with one there.

I am actually looking for serious answers. I appreciate your post. What I would like to see is people giving examples of moves that DT makes that can't be reasonably defended. This would be strong evidence of his incompetence.

The opportunities to second guess obviously don't avail themselves each & every night. The damning proof often lies in the stuff we don't see, measured at some point in wins and losses. Much easier, seems to me, to infer competence based on decisions that are not rote. And DT is as rote as they come. Just as logical: what does DT do well? Instill a player's trust? A sense of responsibility? What it is to groom properly?

I know you understand this and I agree so this is kinda rhetorical. But he has no choice but to try and squeeze as many innings out of these starters as possible. I'm sure he's just hoping for a little luck to get through another inning. At some point they have to pitch through those tough innings, it's what starting pitcher are suppose to do. Bullpen will be absolutely spent in short time at this pace.

The opportunities to second guess obviously don't avail themselves each & every night. The damning proof often lies in the stuff we don't see, measured at some point in wins and losses. Much easier, seems to me, to infer competence based on decisions that are not rote. And DT is as rote as they come. Just as logical: what does DT do well? Instill a player's trust? A sense of responsibility? What it is to groom properly?

I have no idea of what you are trying to say here. So DT is incompetent even though we have no indication of it game by game? If we lose that's proof enough?:confused:

I have no idea of what you are trying to say here. So DT is incompetent even though we have no indication of it game by game? If we lose that's proof enough?:confused:

This is professional sports, man! Wins & Losses. DT has a .425 winning percentage. Mitigating factors, I suppose. You'll say hes had no pitching and of course you'd be right. But how right? All we know is he throws dudes out there and they get shelled. He mixes in position players by the book and they do little (see: Wiggington vs Halladay). Because specific roles are defined, etc etc. Great managers find a way. Gut. Intuition. Out of the box. AM picked DT because he is a good steward (for things measured beyond Wins & Losses) until the calvary arrives. (see: Manny Acta.) Of course AM will kick the tires once he feels his team is ready to compete. In the mean time, is it too much to ask to have a manager, irrespective of talent on the field, to not lay an egg each and every year vs rookie pitchers? Is it too much to ask to have a manager, irrespective of talent on the field, to make sure his team doesn't fold in Aug and Sept with shocking creativity?

This is professional sports, man! Wins & Losses. DT has a .425 winning percentage. Mitigating factors, I suppose. You'll say hes had no pitching and of course you'd be right. But how right? All we know is he throws dudes out there and they get shelled. He mixes in position players by the book and they do little (see: Wiggington vs Halladay). Because specific roles are defined, etc etc. Great managers find a way. Gut. Intuition. Out of the box. AM picked DT because he is a good steward (for things measured beyond Wins & Losses) until the calvary arrives. (see: Manny Acta.) Of course AM will kick the tires once he feels his team is ready to compete. In the mean time, is it too much to ask to have a manager, irrespective of talent on the field, to not lay an egg each and every year vs rookie pitchers? Is it too much to ask to have a manager, irrespective of talent on the field, to make sure his team doesn't fold in Aug and Sept with shocking creativity?

This argument does not necessaraly represent the views of all who think we should be judging Trembley this season like anyone else.

OK, then...let's have the Red $ox trade managers with the Orioles for a month. If DT wins in Boston and Francona loses in Baltimore, those who believe the players are more responsible for wins and losses than the managers are wins!

(And I'll give you three guesses which way I'm betting!)

The game hasn't started yet and I have a bone to pick with DT. I think he should be playing Pie. Of course there may be other things in the works(scouts to AAAto watch Reimold, etc.)behind this.

OK, then...let's have the Red $ox trade managers with the Orioles for a month. If DT wins in Boston and Francona loses in Baltimore, those who believe the players are more responsible for wins and losses than the managers are wins!

(And I'll give you three guesses which way I'm betting!)

Dude, please. Coaches and managers have always been overrated. But you wont find many who doesn't think Francona has done an amazing job. He once lost, as did Torre. When it's time, it's time, and DT (whom I like a lot) aint there. Just happens I don't think he'll ever be there. Too "nice." Ala Johnny Oates/Hargrove/etc.

Archived