What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

Why on earth are you pitching to the guy who's arguably the hottest hitter in all of baseball in Aaron Hill with 2 out in the bottom of the 11th with a base open at first when a single wins the game for the Jays?

Absolutely horrid. Never let the other team's best hitter beat you in that situation.

Yet another loss where poor baserunning decisions, poor defensive decisions and bad managing decisions turned a winnable game into a loss. Where are all of these "good fundamentals" that Trembley is supposed to bring to this club?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why on earth are you pitching to the guy who's arguably the hottest hitter in all of baseball in Aaron Hill with 2 out in the bottom of the 11th with a base open at first when a single wins the game for the Jays?

Absolutely horrid. Never let the other team's best hitter beat you in that situation.

Alex Rios, all-star on deck? I really don't think it was that horrible of a decision. Hill is definitely hot, but Rios is no slouch.

Alex Rios, all-star on deck? I really don't think it was that horrible of a decision. Hill is definitely hot, but Rios is no slouch.

Yeah, it's really a no win situation there for Trembley.

If he walks Hill to get to Rios, people would be pissed off for that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Well todays game went pretty much by the numbers for DT, until we got to the closer. You could call poor fundamentals on Jones, Markakis, in the 1st inning. You could probably complain about a man on 2B, no outs and Roberts Jones and Markakis failing to get them in. Guess he could bench them to think about things. However the big question appears to be using Sherrill as a closer when he is only effective against LH batters. The choices are closer by committee, Ray, Baez or JJ. I don't have any more confidence in Ray than Sherrill. I like JJ in his current role. If things continue they way they have been, I would give serious consideration to Baez. A good call by DT, by the way, was sending Huff on Wiggintons GB to SS, avoiding the DP and alowing the then go ahead run to score.

I agree 100%. I was originally one of Trembley's biggest supporters and was even one of the few who said Trembley has been more important than McPhail in a previous thread (on the logic that there were a great many GMs that could have gotten the same amount of value out of Bedard and Tejada that AM got, and that there were few managers who were able to motivate this team like Trembley). Lately, his management style has been nothing short of unacceptable. He has been overaggressive on the bases as evident the countless hit and runs and the 60% success rate on stolen bases (albeit in only 20 attempts).

The way he manages the bullpen has been mind-blowing. It is amazing that this game got to the tenth inning. Presented with a choice between allowing Baez to pitch to the ice cold Lyle Overbay or bring in Walker to pitch to the certain pinch hitter, Kevin Millar (who has been on fire thus far), Trembley inexplicably opts for Walker v. Millar.

Also, why sit Pie today? Although I disagree with sitting him yesterday against a RHP, I understand that we were facing an extremely tough RHP. There is no reason to sit Pie today unless we have resigned ourselves to the fact that Pie will be a fourth outfielder, in which case Reimold needs to be brought up.

I'm not even going to talk about innings 9-11 today...

While this may seem reactionary, today's game was truly representative of how bad Trembley has been this year.

Yet another loss where poor baserunning decisions, poor defensive decisions and bad managing decisions turned a winnable game into a loss. Where are all of these "good fundamentals" that Trembley is supposed to bring to this club?

You should list these things specifically in the what DT did wrong thread.

I agree 100%. I was originally one of Trembley's biggest supporters and was even one of the few who said Trembley has been more important than McPhail in a previous thread (on the logic that there were a great many GMs that could have gotten the same amount of value out of Bedard and Tejada that AM got, and that there were few managers who were able to motivate this team like Trembley). Lately, his management style has been nothing short of unacceptable. He has been overaggressive on the bases as evident the countless hit and runs and the 60% success rate on stolen bases (albeit in only 20 attempts).

The way he manages the bullpen has been mind-blowing. It is amazing that this game got to the tenth inning. Presented with a choice between allowing Baez to pitch to the ice cold Lyle Overbay or bring in Walker to pitch to the certain pinch hitter, Kevin Millar (who has been on fire thus far), Trembley inexplicably opts for Walker v. Millar.

Also, why sit Pie today? Although I disagree with sitting him yesterday against a RHP, I understand that we were facing an extremely tough RHP. There is no reason to sit Pie today unless we have resigned ourselves to the fact that Pie will be a fourth outfielder, in which case Reimold needs to be brought up.

I'm not even going to talk about innings 9-11 today...

While this may seem reactionary, today's game was truly representative of how bad Trembley has been this year.

So I guess the hit and run that kept us out of the double play and allowed us to take the lead in the 10th was bad too right?

Archived