What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

About using Walker tonight: I know some folks think it's all just about numbers, but it's not. It's about being an organization that does things the right way when it comes to the people-part. IMO, it was the right thing to do. It was DT showing Walker respect. It was a situation where the game was pretty much lost, and it was tailor made to Walker's strength. DT let him have the chance, let him have the ball again out of respect. That Walker screwed it up just helps seal the envelope on his pink slip.

The whole team sees that, sees that Walker is shown the respect of yet another chance, and was not just thrown under the bus. I think that's worth 3 runs that didn't really matter. Walker is gonna be gone Real Soon Now, and there will be no negative residue from it. Things like loyalty and respect are 2-way streets. DT showed that he knows that, the players saw him do it, and that's a good thing in the end. Next time he needs somebody to run through a wall for him, there will be lots of volunteers.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know some folks think it's all just about numbers, but it's not. It's about being an organization that does things the right way when it comes to the people-part. IMO, it was the right thing to do. It was DT showing Walker respect. It was a situation where the game was pretty much lost, and it was tailor made to Walker's strength. DT let him have the chance, let him have the ball again out of respect. That Walker screwed it up just helps seal the envelope on his pink slip. The whole team sees that, sees that Walker is shown the respect of yet another chance, and was not just thrown under the bus. I think that's worth 3 runs that didn't really matter. Walker is gonna be gone Real Soon Now, and there will be no negative residue from it.

This is a great point in general. We have to remember we aren't in the clubhouse. We don't interact with these guys night in and night out. That is such a large piece of the puzzle in nearly every managerial situation. It's fun to micro-manage and say what we would or wouldn't do differently but I think we should always keep in mind that we will never see things from DT's perspective and he will always have more input than us.

About using Walker tonight: I know some folks think it's all just about numbers, but it's not. It's about being an organization that does things the right way when it comes to the people-part. IMO, it was the right thing to do. It was DT showing Walker respect. It was a situation where the game was pretty much lost, and it was tailor made to Walker's strength. DT let him have the chance, let him have the ball again out of respect. That Walker screwed it up just helps seal the envelope on his pink slip.

The whole team sees that, sees that Walker is shown the respect of yet another chance, and was not just thrown under the bus. I think that's worth 3 runs that didn't really matter. Walker is gonna be gone Real Soon Now, and there will be no negative residue from it. Things like loyalty and respect are 2-way streets. DT showed that he knows that, the players saw him do it, and that's a good thing in the end. Next time he needs somebody to run through a wall for him, there will be lots of volunteers.

I think you're absolutley right here, but I think that the human side of the ganme will be lost on many here.

I didn't mind Trembley putting Walker in. The game was pretty much lost as our bats were just lost at the plate today. Walker has been terrible the last year and a quarter, but I can see and understand why Trembley put him in. I think this pretty much sealed his fate.

Good point If there's one thing Trembley has done, from Trachsel, to Eaton, to Walker, is give chances to pitchers to right the ship and save their jobs. That has to buy him some respect in the clubhouse and the league.

When you make as many mistakes on the basepaths as were made tonight, it's hard to not be insanely mad.

All I can say is that it's hard to rid yourselves of a losing culture when mistakes like tonight are the rule, not the exception. Another great pitching performance wasted.

I'll make my list:

1. Hit and Run with Mora/Huff continuously. Huff can't go first to third, even if it succeeds, because Ichiro in RF scares them too much.

2. Warm up Baez in 7th for no reason.

3. Let Bergesen pitch to the top of order in 7th.

4. Not run Pie for Huff

5. Intentionally walking the entire universe.

6. Not using Sherrill in the two highest leverage situations in the entire game.

While coaching was to blame to a degree, lack of execution by the players still played a large in this L. Whatever the case, I have rarely seen a team shoot itself in the foot as much as they did tonight. The offense really needs to come back and actually be there in the clutch.

Hard to criticize Trembley for a lot here tonight. Sent Iceberg out for 7 innings, went to his setup guy for two innings hoping that the offense would pick up in the 10th for Sherrill.

The unlucky triple really did them in. Walking Ichiro made sense, although I don't know that walking Branyan to get to Beltre makes sense.

Baserunning mistakes may have cost the O's the game primarily, but lack of timely hitting has also hurt them.

You could find some small things Trembley did wrong, but really this one is on the hitters.

While coaching was to blame to a degree, lack of execution by the players still played a large in this L. Whatever the case, I have rarely seen a team shoot itself in the foot as much as they did tonight. The offense really needs to come back and actually be there in the clutch.

It's coaching that calls for the hit and run. That play is asinine on a slow big ball team.

The Huff/Mora sequence was pathetic.

Normally I'm not a fan of sacrifice bunts, but that is where you do it. The offense was doing nothing at all. PR Pie or Andino, and lay down a bunt.

Then you've got a speedy runner on 2B with one out and Scott, Wieters and Reimold due up. Odds are somebody could at least try to cash that run in.

It's just another strike against Trembley as he's trying to show that he can manage a competitive team. I just don't see it...

I'll make my list:

1. Hit and Run with Mora/Huff continuously. Huff can't go first to third, even if it succeeds, because Ichiro in RF scares them too much.

2. Warm up Baez in 7th for no reason.

3. Let Bergesen pitch to the top of order in 7th.

4. Not run Pie for Huff

5. Intentionally walking the entire universe.

6. Not using Sherrill in the two highest leverage situations in the entire game.

Not giving NM and BR a rest.

Archived