What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

I still would have pitched to him.

Fine, after pitch number one, Ichiro takes second, since Johnson would have thrown the sinker. That is to the glove side of Wieters, therefore making it a harder throw to second. Then what?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still take my chances with Wieters or Reimold than hitting and running with Huff and Mora...

Right, that is what pretty much everyone on here is drooling over, Wieters up with runners on 1st and 2nd with one out in the top of the 9th.

People need to remember it's not a true hit and run. He starts Huff to avoid the double play and if Mora gets a single Huff may be on third and if he hits a double Huff might score. If Mora strikes out DT knows Huff is a goner too. It's not DT trying to do something too fancy. It's a simple risk/reward play that every team encounters quite often. It's a tough call IMO as Mora hits a lot of DP balls but also strikes out a good bit. Certainy not as bad as some here make it out to be.

As mentioned the bigger question in my mind was do you sac bunt Mora. If you do they will walk Scott and it's 1st and 2nd with a struggling Wieters coming to the plate. ANother tough call. I think I would've sac bunt there but I can see wht GT didn't.

Fine, after pitch number one, Ichiro takes second, since Johnson would have thrown the sinker. That is to the glove side of Wieters, therefore making it a harder throw to second. Then what?

Then nothing, since he doesn't matter except as a potential force-out.

If Branyan lifts the ball as you suggest, he's lifting it to right or center most likely. And I like my chances of a Markakis or Jones double-play.

So...

Scenario A) Allow Mora to hit and run with Huff on first, one out.

Scenario B) Have Mora bunt, walk Scott, men on 1B and 2B, Wieters up with 2 outs.

I'll take B any day of the week. Considering we know what happens in A. Huff can't steal bases and Mora can't hit the ball.

Fair enough (actually there would have been only one out in B) but Wieters can't seem to hit right now either.

I didn't like the hit and run but I can't bash DT for not bunting Mora.

People need to remember it's not a true hit and run. He starts Huff to avoid the double play. If Mora hits gets a single Huff may be on third and if he hits a double Huff might score. If Mora strikes out DT knows Huff is a goner too. It's not DT trying to do something too fancy. It's a simple risk/reward play that every team encounters quite often. It's a tough call IMO as Mora hits a lot of DP balls but also strikes out a good bit. Certainy not as bad as some here make it out to be.

As mentioned the bigger question in my mind was do you sac bunt Mora. If you do they will walk Scott and it's 1st and 2nd with a struggling Wieters coming to the plate. ANother tough call. I think I would've sac bunt there but I can see wht GT didn't.

He started Huff on the 3-1 pitch too, which should have been ball 4, but Mora swung to make it 3-2.

No way Huff makes it to third on a single, whether it is LF, CF, which are both in front of him to a certain extent, or RF -- due to Ichiro. It would have to have been a fumbled double in order for him to score -- like Markakis did against Detroit.

Then nothing, since he doesn't matter except as a potential force-out.

If Branyan lifts the ball as you suggest, he's lifting it to right or center most likely. And I like my chances of a Markakis or Jones double-play.

I would not trust that choice, not with them playing in. How many short flies did Branyan hit in the series, not including the one against Walker last night?

I don't think you concede 2nd base that easily to Ichiro. But if he takes it, then you walk Branyan and take your chances w/Beltre. But to just intentionally load the bases with 1 out, runner on 3rd, then move the infield in is basically conceding the loss.

He started Huff on the 3-1 pitch too, which should have been ball 4, but Mora swung to make it 3-2.

No way Huff makes it to third on a single, whether it is LF, CF, which are both in front of him to a certain extent, or RF -- due to Ichiro. It would have to have been a fumbled double in order for him to score -- like Markakis did against Detroit.

3-1 was a true hit and run. The 3-2 wasn't. Teams start runners 3-2 with all different kinds of runners all the time to avoid the strikeout. I'm willing to bet a lot of money staying out of the double play was the biggest reason for starting Huff 3-2.

With Huff on the move he can most certainly make it to 3rd on a single depending on how hard it is hit and where it is it. I don't care if it is Ichiro in RF if Mora pokes a ground ball in the 3-4 hole or hits a soft liner over the 2nd baseman's head he is on 3rd base. Now I agree it is more unlikely he scores on a double but again possible depending on where the ball is hit exactly.

I don't think you concede 2nd base that easily to Ichiro. But if he takes it' date=' [i']then[/i] you walk Branyan and take your chances w/Beltre. But to just intentionally load the bases with 1 out, runner on 3rd, then move the infield in is basically conceding the loss.

Then that is up to you. 29, if not all 30, of 30 managers would have done the same thing.

Ichiro would go in that situation. Maybe not first pitch, but at least second. And you know what Johnson would be throwing.

3-1 was a true hit and run. The 3-2 wasn't. Teams start runners 3-2 with all different kinds of runners all the time to avoid the strikeout. I'm willing to bet a lot of money staying out of the double play was the biggest reason for starting Huff 3-2.

With Huff on the move he can most certainly make it to 3rd on a single depending on how hard it is hit and where it is it. I don't care if it is Ichiro in RF if Mora pokes a ground ball in the 3-4 hole or hits a soft liner over the 2nd baseman's head he is on 3rd base. Now I agree it is more unlikely he scores on a double but again possible depending on where the ball is hit exactly.

Right, which Mora didn't need to swing at. It would have been 1st and 2nd. 3-2 doesn't avoid the strikeout. It tries to avoid the DP. Which, I don't have a problem starting him on 3-2, however, he was started on 4 straight pitches. He is already slow, that just made him slower.

Then that is your opinion of Huff's speed. He has none, so I don't think he could make it, not against that outfield. The weakest arm is in LF, which would also be the shortest distance for throw.

Where do I start?

1. First and foremost, how awful has this team been without Luke Scott? Without Luke Scott, I think this team might be 8-9 games under 500 instead of 6.

2. I've been saying it all year, Trembley knows jack squat about hit and runs. I see him call them ALL the time, and every time I can recall, they've either failed completely AND/OR they ended up in 2 outs.

3. Juan Samuel. Make up you bloody mind. You're a windmill and they end up being terrible calls, and then when you're supposed to be watching the runner at 3rd, and BAM a pickoff at 3rd base. Inexcusable. Trembley, I hold you somewhat responsible since you love aggressive baseball, but aggressive baseball doesn't need to be irresponsible, idiotic baseball. Samuel. Can him. Or at least cut down the windmill effect. FWIW, I watched the game, and on Luke Scott's double I would have sent Huff, but MASN didn't show the full field to see where Huff was. Either way, if I don't send Huff, I certainly don't let him get picked off at 3rd.

4. Can we stop the Mora batting fifth? How terrible has he been lately? So he got a double yesterday, so what? He's been gutless and clutchless for quite some time now. This is a huge reason why "clutch" hitters don't last long. Mora hasn't been that for some time.

5. Can we give Markakis and Roberts some time off. Please? Sure, they're off tomorrow, but that doesn't excuse how much Trembley has run these guys into the ground. Mora gets off the DL, and despite extremely poor performance, it's reward, reward, reward. Markakis may have a hit streak, but no power. Roberts is showing no patience, and no skill as of late. It's terrible.

I need to stop now. Tonight's game set me off in so many ways. I'm just so happy (and irked at the same time, because there isn't a win for him) that Big Berg threw such an impressive game. He was the lone shining star outside of Luke Scott (who's been carrying this team). BTW, how awful has this offense been without Luuuuuuuke?

Oh, another:

You warm up Baez, then put Johnson in? I love Johnson, but why is Trembley doing this BS? I don't understand it whatsoever. Baez isn't a situational pitcher. Neither is Johnson. Way to warm up a guy, then sit him down for no reason.

Archived