What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

Seriously?

If I walked up to the plate earlier in the game and got hit in the head with a pitch, my OBP would be .800 points higher than Wieters'; would you then want me up in that situation?

And, do you know who IS out-hitting Zaun and only slightly behind in OPS? Wigginton.

If you're down by 5 in the 8th, and you've got the bases loaded with 2 outs, what you need to do is keep the inning going. That means getting on base. You don't need a long fly ball, you need somebody to get on base. Of the guys he had available, Zaun is best at getting on base. Wieters has been lousy at getting on base. Wiggy's OBP is 50 points lower than Zaun's. That's true in general and for RHP. If Zaun gets on base, then you've got Reimold up. Then, if he keeps it going you've got Andino up. Andino's the guy you PH for.

I'm not saying I know why DT did it. I don't know why he did it. I'm just trying to reason out why he did it.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So say he subs Wieters, how quick is the thread about "setting him up to fail" and "why bring him in in such a tight situation on his day off" blah blah blah.

Again, When you have no one batting over 250, and the rookie isn't batting over the mendoza line - well, what has Wieters done to warrant being put in that position right now?

What has Zaun done?

So say he subs Wieters, how quick is the thread about "setting him up to fail" and "why bring him in in such a tight situation on his day off" blah blah blah.

Again, When you have no one batting over 250, and the rookie isn't batting over the mendoza line - well, what has Wieters done to warrant being put in that position right now?

How about... lets see what the kid can do... earn your money... god save us all... i dont think anyone would say... sheesh... hes gonna PH that wieters kid... what a mistake. zauny is really smacking the ball around.

What has Zaun done?

What has ANY of them done. That is the bloody point! Trembley's options included the following:

1) Scuffling rookie in his first two weeks which seems to have trouble buying a hit.

2) Scuffling vet who started the game

3) Scuffling vet that has a propensity for swinging at the first pitch when we need baserunners.

I think we're closer to victory at 9-8 with two outs and the bases-empty than with 9-5 with two outs and the bases loaded.

So, let me get this straight: What you would've *bet* on is a Grand Slam that wouldn't even have tied the game. And you'd rather do that than use a guy who is much more likely to get on base and keep the inning going. Do I have that right?

How about... lets see what the kid can do... earn your money... god save us all... i dont think anyone would say... sheesh... hes gonna PH that wieters kid... what a mistake. zauny is really smacking the ball around.

Not saying I agree with it, but let's wonder for a second what the reaction would be if Wieters gets brought in and does not succeed. I guarantee that there would be just as many posts damning Trembley for that.

All I am saying here is that is not as easy a decision as people are making it out to be.

So, let me get this straight: What you would've *bet* on is a Grand Slam that wouldn't even have tied the game. And you'd rather do that than use a guy who is much more likely to get on base and keep the inning going. Do I have that right?

Of course that's not what I said, but I'm not at all surprised that YOU would make it sound that way.

Of course that's not what I said, but I'm not at all surprised that YOU would make it sound that way.

What part did I get wrong? I wasn't being a smart ass. It looked to me that that's exactly what you said in the quoted part.

Not saying I agree with it, but let's wonder for a second what the reaction would be if Wieters gets brought in and does not succeed. I guarantee that there would be just as many posts damning Trembley for that.

All I am saying here is that is not as easy a decision as people are making it out to be.

I don't believe that. Not for a second. I don't care if he hits into a triple play, it's the right move. I think you underestimate the intelligence of this board.

I don't believe that. Not for a second. I don't care if he hits into a triple play, it's the right move. I think you underestimate the intelligence of this board.

I don't think that's possible.:laughlol:

Even as knee-jerk and overreacting as people can be here, I honestly don't think Trembley would be criticized for PHing Wieters in that spot, regardless of the outcome.

Okay, maybe by a few of the most incorrigibly clueless...

It was still the correct move. Wieters would have been one decent swing away from making it a one-run game.

Archived