What did DT do wrong tonight?

El Gordo

It was still the correct move. Wieters would have been one decent swing away from making it a one-run game.

I think maybe you're reading from an early rough-copy of the script. Before they made the movie, they changed the script.

When Roy Hobbs hit the famous dinger, it actually won the ballgame. Plus, they let him hit several dingers in his ML career first.

Even Hollywood couldn't get behind the idea that Wonderboy's very first dinger was a PH salami ;-)

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even as knee-jerk and overreacting as people can be here, I honestly don't think Trembley would be criticized for PHing Wieters in that spot, regardless of the outcome.

Okay, maybe by a few of the most incorrigibly clueless...

It was still the correct move. Wieters would have been one decent swing away from making it a one-run game.

You can't say that though, because for all intents and purposes you can say the same thing about Zaun. Zaun was a grounder with eyes away from keeping the inning alive, with Andino coming up behind him.

You can't say that though, because for all intents and purposes you can say the same thing about Zaun. Zaun was a grounder with eyes away from keeping the inning alive, with Andino coming up behind him.

Reimold was on deck in Pie's slot, then Andino...

Well, anybody can hit the grounder with eyes. Wieters too.

Zaun does not have the power potential of Wieters, or even of Wigginton.

Bergesen is pitching a gem....arguably the best pitched game by an Oriole pitcher this year....and Trembley yanks him? What the flock? He had only thrown 97 pitches and was in cruise control. A complete bull**** call by Trembley!!

Bergesen is pitching a gem....arguably the best pitched game by an Oriole pitcher this year....and Trembley yanks him? What the flock? He had only thrown 97 pitches and was in cruise control. A complete bull**** call by Trembley!!

I agree. Leave him in. He earned it.

Nah, it was the right call. 2 lefties coming up. Bergesen had started to get hit a bit harder and get the ball up in the 7th and 8th.

Bringing him back in would have been ok, but he should've been pulled as soon as someone reached base.

Feel free to continue overreacting though.

I just want to know his reasoning. I really feel that were it 4-0, he would have left him in.

Part of me thinks this is just nitpicking because we are enamored with CGs but then another part of me remembers the MDM....on the whole it's probably negligible. 8 innings is as good as a CG most of the time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Certainly hard to sit O'Hearn with the way he's been hitting against righties. But Kjerstad doesn't have major split issues so he may be able to take some of those lefty PAs.
    • This team is good enough to win with Holliday, Norby, or Urias at 2B. I think the thought of staying with Holliday is that he has the highest ceiling by far of the 3. And if you can get him going so that by the end of the season he is ready for "take off", he gives you that one additional weapon that Norby nor Urias are. IMO, there are several issues with turning to Norby to replace Holliday now.  1) He has no long term place on this team. So you are in effect starting his Major League clock unnecessarily, when he most likely has more value to another org if he stays at AAA and can start his MLB clock on their choosing. 2) What if he struggles? Then what? Do you turn back to Holliday? If he struggles, it may damage his trade value. 3) What if Holliday regains his stroke at AAA? What do you do then even if Norby has managed to do a decent job or even a good job? Do you keep Holliday for the rest of the year? 4) And to me this is the biggest - What is the best use of his value? To be a bench player here long term? Or to be part of a trade that brings the Major League team something that it needs (in the pitching department)?
    • Agree with you that Mayo is special, and that if I were going to be on one of our players being an impact, middle of the order bat, it's him (though if Cowser and Westburg continue to hit anything like this we'll have a few of them! And I'm a big believer in Kjerstad's bat too). I don't think it's really that complicated, though, no? Santander will leave next season and Kjerstad takes that place. Trade Mountcastle and that's Mayo's spot. Basallo is still a ways off and things will probably work themselves out with injury or what not by then. Norby, Stowers, and Ortiz were always going to be the three that it was going to really be a struggle to find a spot for, and the Ortiz trade solved the Ortiz issue, and now I think you're in a situation where, barring injury, Stowers probably ought to be trade bait and Norby could become a really valuable 12th hitter off the bench next season. 
    • I'm pretty much in agreement with SG on this one. I don't know if he should be sent down, but as SG said, “That's where I trust Elias.” I disagree a little bit on the “hurting his confidence” issue. I think hitting a baseball successfully is a lot like hitting a golf ball successfully… a lot of what impacts your success is what you have going on between your ears. While there's a danger in hurting his confidence by sending him out there every day while he's in a sustained slump, there's also a danger in sending him down to Norfolk. But, once again, I have to trust Elias and management on making that call. 
    • I was dead wrong on this -- i thought for sure it would be McKenna. Kjerstad is obviously deserving of it and happy for the kid. If Hyde is gonna try and get him in the line up regularly its gonna come at the expense of someone else. Who is that? Maybe Mountcastle's knee is worse than they are telling us. Either way, what happens when Hays gets healthy? I'm sure they are operating on the "things always work themselves out" theory. Long term, this org really needs to develop or trade for a power hitting RH bat that plays the OF/1B. Looking forward to see how this works out.
    • Yeah, I agree. It makes sense for them to do now while Hays is injured and they can figure it out, especially since Mountcastle is dealing with his knee injury. When Hays comes back though, I don’t know what they’ll do if there’s no other injuries. Somebody has to be the odd one out and I don’t see them DFA’ing Urias or Mateo. Possibly that could be their excuse to send down Holliday for a reset/service time if they think his chance at ROY is shot, but the bench composition works a lot better with the additional infielder. Anyway I hope Kjerstad rakes in the opportunities he gets now and makes it interesting. 
    • I didn't realize Heston had gotten to 10 home runs already this season.  That's wild stuff. I think this spells a little more bench time for Mounty, deserved or not.  VS RHP we'll see a little more O'hearn at 1B w/ Heston at DH.  If they want Mount in there then they'll sit Tony Taters every once in a while and either Heston or O'hearn can play RF.  Imagine Santander's switch hitting bat on the bench late - quite a weapon! All the talk about who gets starts where, but what this really does is makes the bench a true weapon that managers will have to think about when making pitching changes.  You sure you want to bring in that LHP in the 7th to face O'hearn?  OK, here's Mountcastle to take his place at 1B seamlessly and mash.   You sure you to want to bring in a RHP to face McCann?  OK we can bring in Heston and still have O'hearn for later, or vice-versa.  Its wild, its versatile, and it packs a real punch late in games.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now