Crowley:: Pie's not going to play regularly

Frobby

This is only a good move if Reimold is starting...Its a terrible move if Lou is the starter.

It is also a terrible move overall if Pie is placed on waivers.

So it's Pie defended against the heaviest odds to play everyday until he proves or disproves his ability--but it would be an awful idea to put him on waivers when the alternative is him sitting on the bench being MUCH more useless than Montanez?

I don't want to lose him and his potential either, and i'm surprised that the O's appear to be headed in this direction so soon. But I think the odds are slim to none of Pie becoming much of anything for us being Reimold's back up.

I mean, I think the most logical thing, since we're not going to win this year anyway, would be to put him on the bench. But I wouldn't call placing him on waivers a "terrible" move, because my hopes of Pie amounting to anything while being a bench player are slim to none.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy has never had consistent at bats. And I don't think one month of baseball playing only 2/3 of the time is consistent at bats. Yes he has looked lost at the plate, but in a season in which we have nothing to lose, he should be getting every opportunity to succeed or fail.

The only way he should not be playing regularly is if Reimold gets called up.

I wonder what they saw that was so discouraging that they're ready to bench Pie after only a month. You have to think there was something, and they're not just being impatient. Well, if he's not going to play regularly, I think that means it should be Reimold up into the spot and Montanez down. Unless they're just going to dump Pie completely. Hopefully Pie can work on things with Crowley without getting regular time.

I don't think you have to look any further then the O's going 3-13 to see why the move from Pie to Riemold is likely to be made soon. The O's do not have the pitching to promote that would make them better without rushing guys. But they can improve the offense.

The only thing that would make sitting Pie OK is his unwillingness to be coached. Anything else is not acceptable. For a last place team we have room for him to be playing 4-5 days week all year. Naturally if we have a player at AAA eating it up, then we probably want to get them some reps at some point this season.

If they bring up Reimold I'm fine with this.

I still think its a bit too early to give up on him, but Reimold has made it very tough to be patient with Pie.

If they bench him to give Montanez more time, then I'll be pretty upset.

Does AM really need to go to Norfolk? Aren't Reimold's numbers enough to promote him to the majors?

The promotion of Reimold probably means more then Pie to the bench and Montanez to Norfolk. It probably means that the O's are ready to swallow Freel's $4M contract. That probably requires for MacPhail to be able to tell Peter he has been to Norfolk and seen Riemold and it is in the best interest of the O's to promote the hot hitter and release the veteran Freel.

When AM says this year isn't about winning, it's to temper fans' expectations. It is ALWAYS about winning. If a guy isn't giving you a chance to win, you replace him when you have better options available, financial considerations taken into account.

The promotion of Reimold probably means more then Pie to the bench and Montanez to Norfolk. It probably means that the O's are ready to swallow Freel's $4M contract. That probably requires for MacPhail to be able to tell Peter he has been to Norfolk and seen Riemold and it is in the best interest of the O's to promote the hot hitter and release the veteran Freel.

This is a really good point.

+1

If they bring up Reimold I'm fine with this.

I still think its a bit too early to give up on him, but Reimold has made it very tough to be patient with Pie.

If they bench him to give Montanez more time, then I'll be pretty upset.

I agree, but as long as they don't waive Pie yet, I can live with the other combination of moves, whatever they are.

I agree here too. AM probably wants it to be his call totally because he may have to do something irrevocable (which he said that he didn't want to do this early when he was on XM last week). This might mean releasing Freel or demoting Lou (which isn't that bad since we have control of him for a while).

Frankly though, I don't see why PA would care if Freel is cut. We took him only to get rid of Ramon. If Freel is signed by someone, we'll save a prorated portion of the vet's minimum anyway.

This is only a good move if Reimold is starting...Its a terrible move if Lou is the starter.

It is also a terrible move overall if Pie is placed on waivers.

This.

Dumping Pie this early in the season (and perhaps placing him on waivers) is the most ass backwards thing the Baltimore Orioles Baseball Club have ever considered. I hope they don't do this--it's a terrible mistake.

This.

Dumping Pie this early in the season (and perhaps placing him on waivers) is the most ass backwards thing the Baltimore Orioles Baseball Club have ever considered. I hope they don't do this--it's a terrible mistake.

How is it the worst thing they have considered? Now that is a ludicrous statement.

He is being pushed to the backup role. It appears he will serve the pinch-running role that Freel was supposed to serve. It also gives Crowley time to work with him without waiving him.

@crazysilver:

The Orioles are handling Pie as the Cubs did: shuttling him from one role to another and not providing the necessary ABs and chances in the field for him to develop. One month of a player who's been unfairly maligned is not sufficient time to show much of anything. More, as a reserve player, he'll have fewer opportunities to develop himself in the field and at the plate through consistent playing time.

@crazysilver:

The Orioles are handling Pie as the Cubs did: shuttling him from one role to another and not providing the necessary ABs and chances in the field for him to develop. One month of a player who's been unfairly maligned is not sufficient time to show much of anything. More, as a reserve player, he'll have fewer opportunities to develop himself in the field and at the plate through consistent playing time.

I basically agree with you, but I also think that stashing Pie on the bench - and getting him plenty of work behind the scenes with Trembley, Shelby, etc. - is better than releasing him.

Archived