Crowley:: Pie's not going to play regularly

Frobby

Handing Pie the LF job out of ST was a mistake from the start as he should have had to earn it. Reimold outplayed him in ST and is destroying Norfolk.

Glad to see the Orioles seem to be finally correcting this mistake. It should have been a competition to begin with as the job should have been Reimold's all along.

Make no mistake about it though, Pie needs playing time to fix his errors, so keeping him as a 4th OFer would also be a mistake. The Orioles should DFA him and give him the LF job in Norfolk to see if he can handle it there. He can get his confidence back and then challenge Reimold in ST next year in a competition as it should have been this year. Nobody is going to want to put him on their 25 man roster the way he is playing now.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Pie is DFA, a smarter organization will claim him and he will be given the time to develop and produce. This handling of Pie is a poor decision (or a series of them--who knows?) and another instance of the rush to win now that has handcuffed the O's for the last 11 years. Make no mistake: I'm not against Reimold--I'd love to see him do well; however, when Pie has been given short shrift to create an opportunity for Reimold, that's a serious blunder.

I don't know about you, but I love that our FO is taking a first hand look at our players rather than sitting in the office. There's nothing wrong with the president of your organization doing a little scouting of his own. It means the organization is healthy from the bottom all the way to the top. It's silly that people are getting upset about MacPhail wanting to have a look at Reimold. That's his job. To run the baseball organization. :rolleyestf:
If Mac and pals want to make the trip, more power to him. They didn't need to look at Montanez or Bergesen before they were brought up to Baltimore. What, from a front office perspective, makes this situation different? MacPhail's attraction to the Pie experiment?

If Pie is DFA, a smarter organization will claim him and he will be given the time to develop and produce.

I hear this all the time, but what team is going to give him regular playing time in the OF(which is what he needs)?

You could say the Marlins, but right now they are leading the NL East. The only other team I could think of is the Padres. And right now Hairston is on a roll and I'm pretty sure they would want to play Headley over Pie.

If Pie is DFA, a smarter organization will claim him and he will be given the time to develop and produce. This handling of Pie is a poor decision (or a series of them--who knows?) and another instance of the rush to win now that has handcuffed the O's for the last 11 years. Make no mistake: I'm not against Reimold--I'd love to see him do well; however, when Pie has been given short shrift to create an opportunity for Reimold, that's a serious blunder.

Huh? I don't think we're trying to win now and surely putting Pie in there to 'develop' is not an indication of win now. He's really never proven himself. I think the purpose of putting him out there every day was so he COULD develop himself and potentially be a part of the team when it was ready to win 'then'.

First, I don't believe he will be DFA'ed anytime soon. He will be relegated to the 4th OF role. But I also believe that is how other organizations would utilize him, especially if he is in the NL.

If Mac and pals want to make the trip, more power to him. They didn't need to look at Montanez or Bergesen before they were brought up to Baltimore. What, from a front office perspective, makes this situation different? MacPhail's attraction to the Pie experiment?

My guess is they are looking at more than Reimold. It wouldn't surprise me to see MacPhail wanting to see if Wieters' struggles are a product of Harbor Park and the fact he's not getting anything to hit. My guess is if Wieters is putting good swings on balls and playing good defense, he'll get the call along with Reimold on the next homestand.

Wieters and Reimold would be a boost to the bottom of the lineup for sure.

Huh? I don't think we're trying to win now and surely putting Pie in there to 'develop' is not an indication of win now. He's really never proven himself. I think the purpose of putting him out there every day was so he COULD develop himself and potentially be a part of the team when it was ready to win 'then'.

Before MacPhail was given (most of) the required latitude to effectively operate the Baltimore Orioles, the following quote guided the entire organization:

"We are coming back strong next year. I know you have heard that tune before, but this time it will literally come true."

We know who said it, and all who preceded MacPhail did what they could to realize it. If that doesn't embody a rush to win now at the expense of developing true talent, I'm not sure what to say.

I wonder what they saw that was so discouraging that they're ready to bench Pie after only a month. You have to think there was something, and they're not just being impatient. Well, if he's not going to play regularly, I think that means it should be Reimold up into the spot and Montanez down. Unless they're just going to dump Pie completely. Hopefully Pie can work on things with Crowley without getting regular time.

This is something that has had me thinking.

I remember Dave Trembley saying something in a pre game interview about it being a patience tester in dealing with Pie.

I also can't forget the run in in the outfield between Adam JOnes and Pie- where Jones basically ran in front of Pie to catch a ball against the fence- then proceed to the dugout without so much as a nod.

I get the feeling that there is a chemistry issue, on top of his inability to hit the ball and play consistent defense.

As far as MacPhail having to go see him... why not? Maybe it's a pressure test... See how he performs with the big man on site to watch. He's gonna have pressure once called up- so what's a quick little sample size.

Regardless, I am still surprised at this change of heart- although I guess with the sudden swoon- MacPhail may simply feel a change is needed to avoid losing even more of the fan base.

Before MacPhail was given (most of) the required latitude to operate the Baltimore Orioles, the following quote guided the entire organization:

"We are coming back strong next year. I know you have heard that tune before, but this time it will literally come true."

We know who said it, and all who preceded MacPhail did what they could to realize it. If that doesn't embody a rush to win now at the expense of developing true talent, I'm not sure what to say.

And what has MacPhail done to embody "we will come back strong next year."

Trading Bedard and Tejada moves away from that. MacPhail even said this year isn't about winning.

I don't see why you are bringing in quotes from several years ago, especially when they were made during the older era.

I think it's interesting that --for all the Cubs apparent misgivings about Pie and reluctance to stick with him-- they did put him on their post-season roster in both 2007 & 2008. He doesn't have to start to help a team. All this DFA speculation is cuckoo talk in my opinion.

Trembley's comments indicate a re-opening of the left field competition since the early favorite (Pie) has been unable to put a stranglehold on the job. If Reimold was hitting .268 with a trio of dingers in AAA, I doubt this would even be an issue. Certainly not if Pie were hitting Calvin Pickering's weight.

When the Orioles contend/make the playoffs in the hopefully near future, it wouldn't shock me at all if both Nolan & Felix were contributors.

And what has MacPhail done to embody "we will come back strong next year."

Trading Bedard and Tejada moves away from that. MacPhail even said this year isn't about winning.

I don't see why you are bringing in quotes from several years ago, especially when they were made during the older era.

Because it's "old era" thinking that is (partially) behind the treatment of Pie. Another player is doing well in the minor leagues, and in a momentary flash of brilliance, someone (or a group of someones) has decided to bench a player with fabulous potential for a hot hand. That's not to say Mr. Reimold doesn't have similar or greater potential, but why shelve one such player for another when there's no actual urgency to do so? This drive for more immediate and palatable results led, in part, to the mistakes of the old regimes.

I hear this all the time, but what team is going to give him regular playing time in the OF(which is what he needs)?

You could say the Marlins, but right now they are leading the NL East. The only other team I could think of is the Padres. And right now Hairston is on a roll and I'm pretty sure they would want to play Headley over Pie.

So you don't think anyone will claim Pie, a former top prospect, but you did think that someone would claim Moore, a never-was?

Well, let's just say I think you're about as right about Pie as you were about Moore.

So you don't think anyone will claim Pie, a former top prospect, but you did think that someone would claim Moore, a never-was?

Well, let's just say I think you're about as right about Pie as you were about Moore.

I don't see where you draw the idea that JTrea doesn't think he will be claimed. All he said is that no one will use him as a starter. I believe he would be claimed but would be served as a 4th OF.

Archived