A dream deferred...

Looks like Lance to Zona/Memphis. And Maryland fans are left waiting once again for an elite blue-chipper to come--at least he wasnt a hometown boy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/05/03/2009-05-03_arizona_lance.html

In other news, John Wall charged with breaking/entering...on top of being monumentously stupid, have to figure UNC and Duke may both pull out now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bigger outlet tho...prob better sources...and Zagoria has been ruling us out for a while.

I knew it was a pipedream (and frankly think our offense being too restrictive is code for "i dont want to play defense my only year in college"), but still.

It just totally cements how we've completely blown the equity of the Dixon years. Arizona is on par with us, but Memphis is certainly not...plus with Olsen and Calipari gone...to watch us just get discarded along with lowly St. John's for essentially rookie coaches...tough one to swallow.

Bigger outlet tho...prob better sources...and Zagoria has been ruling us out for a while.

I knew it was a pipedream (and frankly think our offense being too restrictive is code for "i dont want to play defense my only year in college"), but still.

It just totally cements how we've completely blown the equity of the Dixon years. Arizona is on par with us, but Memphis is certainly not...plus with Olsen and Calipari gone...to watch us just get discarded along with lowly St. John's for essentially rookie coaches...tough one to swallow.

I don't understand this.

1. Stephenson was never - ever - going to come here.

2. In the past month we've got commitments from two rising - quality - prospects. I'd rather have Terrence Ross for several years than Stephenson for one. (Though that's just me. I understand that sentiment isn't shared. And the reasons why.)

3. If anything, this offseason has shown us that we can get in, and get consideration, and actually land commitments from guys no one had us on the radar for, and who aren't regional. (Technically.)

I think it gets down to him being able to do what he wants at Memphis or Arizona. I am not sure I want a prima dona for one year. I remember being excited over Stevie Francis but at the end I was glad to see him leave. Stephenson seems to have a similar me first mind set. Gary is having a decent recruiting year for 2010 and if Painter comes then they will be okay for 2009.

Looks like Lance to Zona/Memphis. And Maryland fans are left waiting once again for an elite blue-chipper to come--at least he wasnt a hometown boy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/05/03/2009-05-03_arizona_lance.html

In other news, John Wall charged with breaking/entering...on top of being monumentously stupid, have to figure UNC and Duke may both pull out now.

Probably means he'll end up at UCONN with Calhoun or Kentucky with Calipari. ;)

Lance Stephenson seems like a very indecisive young man to me. That apparently cost him his first choice of colleges, when Xavier Henry came in and snatched up his Kansas offer. And now it appears he was never really that interested in the other two of his "Top 3." I can understand the recent interest in Memphis, since the coaching change there opened up scholarships that might not have been available to him before. But Arizona? Where did that come from?

Lance Stephenson seems like a very indecisive young man to me. That apparently cost him his first choice of colleges' date=' when Xavier Henry came in and snatched up his Kansas offer. And now it appears he was never really that interested in the other two of his "Top 3." I can understand the recent interest in Memphis, since the coaching change there opened up scholarships that might not have been available to him before. But Arizona? Where did that come from?[/quote']

What 18 year old has their mind made up for anything. When I was being recruited for colleges coming out of HS I must of changed my mind at least 20 times. Lets just remember this is a 18 year old kid who is living under a microscope.

What 18 year old has their mind made up for anything. When I was being recruited for colleges coming out of HS I must of changed my mind at least 20 times. Lets just remember this is a 18 year old kid who is living under a microscope.

That's true with many kids. But as I would imagine Lance has now learned, he who hesitates is lost.

I don't understand this.

1. Stephenson was never - ever - going to come here.

2. In the past month we've got commitments from two rising - quality - prospects. I'd rather have Terrence Ross for several years than Stephenson for one. (Though that's just me. I understand that sentiment isn't shared. And the reasons why.)

3. If anything, this offseason has shown us that we can get in, and get consideration, and actually land commitments from guys no one had us on the radar for, and who aren't regional. (Technically.)

So we are in the exact same spot we were in prior to Dixon...we can make play on decent-good players, no elite players.

That's fine, but not where a National Champion should be. How can you not be disappointed? From a recruiting standpoint, we could practically erase the national championship years and we'd be in the same spot.

We desperately got in on a reach "premier talent"...and end up looking like bad leftovers.

So we are in the exact same spot we were in prior to Dixon...we can make play on decent-good players, no elite players.

That's fine, but not where a National Champion should be. How can you not be disappointed? From a recruiting standpoint, we could practically erase the national championship years and we'd be in the same spot.

We desperately got in on a reach "premier talent"...and end up looking like bad leftovers.

So you didn't read that we signed Ross? He's not a "decent-good" player. He's gonna be an elite player for the 2010 class.

And we're also still in on Painter too, apparently. He sounds like someone who could step in right away if he qualifies for next year.

I understand complaining about the level of talent we had last year and the recruiting classes from '08-'09 and '07-'08. But Gary has put together a solid class already for this year and might add to it and looks to be putting together an even better class for '10-'11. The questions everybody had about his recruiting are pretty close to having been answered, IMO. You just gotta wait for these kids to suit up.

It's frustrating that Arizona and Memphis beat us out because they have two new rookie coaches but the fact remains that none of us have any idea what Lance is thinking.

I know it's not saying much, and as fans we should expect more, but the fact we got Ross and were in the hunt for a top 10 recruit has me in a better mood about the team than a few months ago.

I mean I think some fans (and I'm guilty to an extent) have this poorly founded notion that "winning a national title automatically = signing every good player in the history of the sport."

Florida won back to back titles, they didn't make the NCAAs last year. Going back to the 1990s, what happened to teams like UNLV? Arkansas? UCLA (until the Howland era)?

I really hate defending Gary b/c enough people on this board do it, but there's gotta be a limit to people's expectations.

He got arrested walking out of a vacant building - from which nothing was taken. No one is going to pull back because of that.

You're ignoring Ross. Which makes no sense.

It's frustrating that Arizona and Memphis beat us out because they have two new rookie coaches but the fact remains that none of us have any idea what Lance is thinking.

I know it's not saying much, and as fans we should expect more, but the fact we got Ross and were in the hunt for a top 10 recruit has me in a better mood about the team than a few months ago.

Wait, does that mean we may have a civil conversation about Maryland basketball this season? :laughlol: ;)

Archived