A dream deferred...

Paint me skeptical...I'm sure many schools reached out to him, doesnt mean they are in hard on him. Just means they talked to him. Per all the recruiting outlets, it was Maryland and a slew of West Coast teams.

And, yes, to answer your other question...I would be much happy if it was listed that he was looking at UNC, Duke, etc. and the East/South power conferences.

But he's not. Because he's not an elite level recruit.

Frankly, this is blatant homerism for people to be putting Ross in the same league as Stephenson and the rest. Barring an exceptional jump (possible), Ross is a very good recruit who is being vastly overrated on here...

I'm not putting him in the same class as Stephenson, although I think it needs to be considered that Lance seems to have personality/character issues.

From The Sun: Montrose Christian shooting guard Terrence Ross pledged to the Terps this afternoon. The four-star prospect was reportedly recruited by Arizona State, California, Oregon State, Washington, Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova and several others.

It's more likely that he wasn't greatly interested in those schools then they all just talked to him and decided they didn't want a highly regarded recruit.

I doubt it matters how much evidence I show you that other schools wanted him, because you are already set in your position here, nor do I think this matters all that much.

So after this, I'm done arguing about something that doesn't even matter, he's a highly ranked recruit regardless of what schools we in on him. I'll base things on where a player is ranked, not what his final 4 or 5 schools were.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paint me skeptical...I'm sure many schools reached out to him, doesnt mean they are in hard on him. Just means they talked to him. Per all the recruiting outlets, it was Maryland and a slew of West Coast teams.

And, yes, to answer your other question...I would be much happy if it was listed that he was looking at UNC, Duke, etc. and the East/South power conferences.

But he's not. Because he's not an elite level recruit.

Frankly, this is blatant homerism for people to be putting Ross in the same league as Stephenson and the rest. Barring an exceptional jump (possible), Ross is a very good recruit who is being vastly overrated on here...

Thanks for putting all of us in our place. I have no idea what we'd do without you.

The only comparisons to Stephenson are my stated preference to Ross (for multiple years, w/o the sideshow crap) and DanielO's comment that - when all is said and done - they could end up doing similar things at the college level.

I don't think they're comparable, but it's not exactly like this board is chock full of folks stating that they're interchangeable.

But - yeah - you've set us straight. Much appreciated. :rolleyestf:

I'm not putting him in the same class as Stephenson, although I think it needs to be considered that Lance seems to have personality/character issues.

From The Sun: Montrose Christian shooting guard Terrence Ross pledged to the Terps this afternoon. The four-star prospect was reportedly recruited by Arizona State, California, Oregon State, Washington, Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova and several others.

It's more likely that he wasn't greatly interested in those schools then they all just talked to him and decided they didn't want a highly regarded recruit.

I doubt it matters how much evidence I show you that other schools wanted him, because you are already set in your position here, nor do I think this matters all that much.

So after this, I'm done arguing about something that doesn't even matter, he's a highly ranked recruit regardless of what schools we in on him. I'll base things on where a player is ranked, not what his final 4 or 5 schools were.

I did base it on where he was ranked...from the start I cited he was a 4 star on rivals and #10 SF on ESPN...that's not elite (elite being potential program changer from the outset). I also voiced my concern of the west coast issue, which you decided to be your main counter argument--ignoring the others.

So if that doesnt hold water for you....throw out. He's still just a 4star and not nearly the all-star recruit most people arguing with me on this thread are making him out to be.

Ross is simply not the blue-chip recruit you would hope would headline a Maryland class post-Dixon years. This entire thing started with me lamenting that the equity of those years has been wasted--and they have.

Not really sure Terrence Ross is really breaking the mold here.

The only comparisons to Stephenson are my stated preference to Ross (for multiple years, w/o the sideshow crap) and DanielO's comment that - when all is said and done - they could end up doing similar things at the college level.

I don't think they're comparable, but it's not exactly like this board is chock full of folks stating that they're interchangeable.

But - yeah - you've set us straight. Much appreciated. :rolleyestf:

Wow--aren't you and Mackus being babies here.

Not really sure what about that post was "putting anyone in their place."

Frankly, if you honestly are going to sit there and say you'd rather have Ross over Stephenson...or claim as Danielos did that they are very likely to have similar careers...your opinion on recruiting seems to be based on very little more than "he's on my team, i'm gonna pump him up."

Pretty sure well over 90% of analysts with take Stephenson over Ross in a heartbeat...and I doubt many would call him (Ross) an elite, program changer as well.

If that ruffles your feathers, so be it. Take off the terps-colored glasses.

By the way, a number of folks, including leading reporters on both Kansas and Memphis categorize Ross as elite.

http://theshiver.com/2009/02/2292/

Terrence Ross is more than likely a new name to people who follow recruiting for the University of Kansas, but he is definitely a name worth remembering.

Ross is a silky smooth 6′6″ Shooting Guard from Montrose Christian School in Maryland. He is considered by most recruiting services to be an elite level prospect and possibly a perfect match for Coach Self and the Kansas Jayhawks in the search for a wing to fill their 2010 recruiting needs.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3749013

An elite, high major prospect.

http://memphisroar.com/2009/02/meet-terrence-ross-class-of-2010/

That said, thanks to TheShiver, Memphis fans now have a chance to get to know one of the guards that the Memphis staff is currently pursuing out of the junior class. Terrence Ross is considered to be an elite level athlete with an extremely consistent jump shot out to 21 feet.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrance-Ross-5675/

Physically, there is no denying that Ross fits the bill of an elite wing prospect.

This isn't dispositive. But you're discounting Ross - who really only lept onto the national scene with his move East. The rankings are likely to catch up to him soon.

Frankly, if you honestly are going to sit there and say you'd rather have Ross over Stephenson...or claim as Danielos did that they are very likely to have similar careers...your opinion on recruiting seems to be based on very little more than "he's on my team, i'm gonna pump him up."

Pretty sure well over 90% of analysts with take Stephenson over Ross in a heartbeat...and I doubt many would call him (Ross) an elite, program changer as well.

Are you 12?

I prefer multiple years of Ross over a single year of Stephenson for two specific reasons: one, Stephenson comes with a lot of baggage; two, I don't think we contend next year even with Stephenson. A very good prospect like Ross can help a rebuild.

Stephenson = a brief spotlight on the program.

It's just a different cost-benefit analysis. I'm talking about for Maryland. Not in a straight 1:1 comparison.

And it's hardly homerism. I've been pretty explicit in my criticism of this program this year.

If anyone's irrational and blinkered, it's you: you can't seem to give credit even where credit is due.

I did base it on where he was ranked...from the start I cited he was a 4 star on rivals and #10 SF on ESPN...that's not elite (elite being potential program changer from the outset). I also voiced my concern of the west coast issue, which you decided to be your main counter argument--ignoring the others.

So if that doesnt hold water for you....throw out. He's still just a 4star and not nearly the all-star recruit most people arguing with me on this thread are making him out to be.

Ross is simply not the blue-chip recruit you would hope would headline a Maryland class post-Dixon years. This entire thing started with me lamenting that the equity of those years has been wasted--and they have.

Not really sure Terrence Ross is really breaking the mold here.

I never said he was an elite recruit, although I think you're selling him short, I just think some of your reasoning on here is poor.

Are you 12?

I prefer multiple years of Ross over a single year of Stephenson for two specific reasons: one, Stephenson comes with a lot of baggage; two, I don't think we contend next year even with Stephenson. A very good prospect like Ross can help a rebuild.

Stephenson = a brief spotlight on the program.

It's just a different cost-benefit analysis. I'm talking about for Maryland. Not in a straight 1:1 comparison.

And it's hardly homerism. I've been pretty explicit in my criticism of this program this year.

If anyone's irrational and blinkered, it's you: you can't seem to give credit even where credit is due.

Yea...cuz your eye roll and sarcasm was quite mature. Pot/Kettle, Goose/Gander.

Now to your points...

I appreciate the quoted list, perhaps Ross will continue to explode and rise...at the moment I wouldnt--and dont really feel most others would--put him in the class of recruit of a Stephenson.

As for not giving credit...where exactly am I supposed to give credit?

Gary's biggest headliner after Dixon years was Mike Jones...after that several top 100 classes, but as we've all pointed out we missed out on those "stars"-- particularly the ones from home--that you would expect back to back final fours and a natty to bring you.

Nowhere in this thread did I say Gary was a bad recruiter, nor that we had bad classes...I simply said that he failed to capitalize on the equity a program earns from that type of run.

Desperately going after long-shot, off-court issues Stephenson and getting abruptly discarded for two last-minute, rookie coach led programs was disconcerting on several levels to me....and really struck me as the official "death" of the Dixon year equity.

Now everyone came at me with "Terrence Ross" "Terrence Ross"...to which I said, yeah, he's good, happy to have him...but Terrence Ross is simply just not the headliner of a top 20 program...which is where I think we can and should be.

I never said he was an elite recruit, although I think you're selling him short, I just think some of your reasoning on here is poor.

How many of these former National Champs would be happy with Terrence Ross headlining their recruiting class:

1) UNC

2) Kansas

3) Florida

4) UConn

5) Syracuse

6) Duke

7) Michigan State

8) Kentucky

9) Arizona

10) UCLA

How many of these former National Champs would be happy with Terrence Ross headlining their recruiting class:

1) UNC

2) Kansas

3) Florida

4) UConn

5) Syracuse

6) Duke

7) Michigan State

8) Kentucky

9) Arizona

10) UCLA

I don't know, nor do I care, and I'm not sure why you bring this up to me since I haven't been discussing this with you.

My points have been that it doesn't matter what schools were going after him, where those schools are located, and that in reality, top schools did want him.

I don't know, nor do I care, and I'm not sure why you bring this up to me since I haven't been discussing this with you.

My points have been that it doesn't matter what schools were going after him, where those schools are located, and that in reality, top schools did want him.

Ok...seems a bit tangential to what I've been trying to say here then, but i'll play along...

"it doesnt matter what schools were going after him": Really? Seems to me like a very useful tool. I would assume that the better programs would be going after the better players. I'd take the 4 star recruit with offers from UNC, Gtown and Kansas over the 4 star recruit with offers from Washington St., Oregon and Cal every time.

or "where those schools are located": Again, you yourself said the East coast was stronger...I'm not talking about players, but programs. I think it is safe to say that better programs have better players and recruit better talent....so logically, wouldnt that mean that most of the better players are going East Coast? Doesn't mean Ross is going to be a bust, it just strikes me as odd and raises a red flag that we were the only East coast program to offer.

"in reality, top schools did want him": Perhaps true. But too an extent. No top school was apparently willing to offer him a scholarship. You seem to be implying it is because he told them they didnt have a chance. I think it's more that they really didnt feel he was so good as to offer a scholarship this early.

Puh-lease. Never did I say that they are likely to have similar careers. I said that they could have similar careers. The fact of the matter here is that Ross is an elite level recruit. He was being recruited some of the top programs in the nation. That's a fact.

Also, you're not taking into account the fact that Ross is still a junior while Stephenson is a full year older. Ross is ranked in the 40s right now, I believe. It is very possible, especially playing at Montrose for Vetter, that Ross improves his ranking and even gets into the top 25. In an article I read somewhere (sorry I don't have a link), Vetter said that he think Ross could be a top 20 prospect by the time his high school career is all said and done.

I'll take 3 or 4 years of a quality kid in Ross about 100 times a week over character-issue Stephenson for one year. I don't think that the different between them is a large as some people think.

Also, people are forgetting to mention what this means to MD's local recruiting base. Not only did we score an elite prospect, but we grabbed an elite local prospect. People have really been hounding Gary for missing out on the local high school guys. Well, he did his job well this time. Hopefully this signing will send a message that MD is back when it comes to recruiting in the MD/D.C/ NoVa area. Also, I like the trend of Montrose kids coming to MD. Bowie, Vasquez, Ross (others I'm missing?) They're usually quality kids who were well coached in high school and played against elite level talent before college. It's a really good relationship to have.

Im just gonna come out and say it: I think Stephenson is overrated and a big product of hype. I've watched him play a little and he isn't all that. He's 6'7 with a pretty good handle which allows him to get shots off over smaller guards and finish at the rim against guys his size. He isn't particularly quick and has an inconsistent jumper. He'll be a good college player but he isn't a Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, Beasley, Durant, Mayo type of impact player at the college level. I'm willing to bet he isn't a lottery pick in next year's NBA draft and I wouldn't be suprised at all to see Ross become the better overall player as their career's progress. If I'm wrong on Stephenson I'll admit it but right now I ain't buying the hype at all.

Archived