Just in: Tampa Signs #1 Pick David Price !

66-70-83-??

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7124494

Left-hander David Price, the No. 1 pick in baseball's amateur draft, agreed Wednesday to a six-year, $8.5 million contract with the Devil Rays, according to a major-league source.

The value of the deal could max out at $11.25 million if he remains in the major leagues for the entire length of contract.

Am I reading too much into this, or is it being implied here that they are considering having him skip time in the minors?

Not necessarily. It just means that his salary is higher when he is in the majors. Draft pick deals are often structured that way. The sentence you quoted gives the max value of the contract, e.g. the amount he would make IF he were to stay in the majors the whole time.

Brackman's signing according to the Baltimore Sun:

deal could be worth as much as $13.8 million over the next seven years, a baseball source said.

I sure hope that McPhail is as creative as the Yanks - looks like a lot of incentives.

BA confirms Price's signing and it is the second largest in the draft's history (Justin Upton is #1). Wieters was considered as second best talent to Price -so O's should pony up, Tampa did.

Link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=212

Not necessarily. It just means that his salary is higher when he is in the majors. Draft pick deals are often structured that way. The sentence you quoted gives the max value of the contract, e.g. the amount he would make IF he were to stay in the majors the whole time.

Right, but if there plan was to start him in the minor leagues for 1/2 a year or a year would they have written the contract that way?

No matter how it reads I promise you the Rays are not even considering calling him up this year, and it would take something short of a miracle for him to be there in April, especially with Jackson doing what he is doing now. In fact he is unlikely to do much of any pitching the rest of this year. I can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me to know that the Rays had a deal worked out in principle a while ago but a combination of them wanting him to rest his arm and not get too much more work in and not wanting to anger the slotting gods have dragged the actual signing and announcing out.

Edit: BTW, you would be amazed at how many people in Tampa are pulling for Weiters not to sign. Reason enough to get it done... he could be in our division before we know it!

No matter how it reads I promise you the Rays are not even considering calling him up this year, and it would take something short of a miracle for him to be there in April, especially with Jackson doing what he is doing now. In fact he is unlikely to do much of any pitching the rest of this year. I can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me to know that the Rays had a deal worked out in principle a while ago but a combination of them wanting him to rest his arm and not get too much more work in and not wanting to anger the slotting gods have dragged the actual signing and announcing out.

Edit: BTW, you would be amazed at how many people in Tampa are pulling for Weiters not to sign. Reason enough to get it done... he could be in our division before we know it!

It'd be a perfect pick for them next year. They'd have all the leverage in the world and would be able to sign him for less than the O's are having to pony up for him this year.

Archived