Ambidextrious pitcher

Moose Milligan

Somebody brings him up about once or twice a year ever since his last year at Creighton.

I saw him pitch at Staten Island against Aberdeen last year. He's good. It's not like he's a junkballer from both sides, he has pretty decent stuff. I don't recall if he switched hands or not.

Oh and Greg Harris was the guy. It's in the article.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U2xkHOTvvw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U2xkHOTvvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Switch-pitcher vs. switch-hitter... what to do?

Nobody knew...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2oD8KzxS14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2oD8KzxS14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So, at least in theory, this guy can throw 400+ IP per season, 200+ per arm, right?

If he mainly stuck to one side for a whole game, and changed just enough to get in his between-start work, he could take 2 slots in the rotation...

Switch-pitcher vs. switch-hitter... what to do?

Nobody knew...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2oD8KzxS14&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2oD8KzxS14&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Growing up I always thought the hitter could switch sides up until he had two strikes.

Growing up I always thought the hitter could switch sides up until he had two strikes.

I'm not sure about that. What if the opposing team brings in a new pitcher when a hitter has 2 strikes, which is legal to do, mainly due to an injury to the pitcher. The opposing team could bring in a pitcher that throws from the other side.

The hitter should not be forced to stay on the side he was up to 2 strikes.

I'm not sure about that. What if the opposing team brings in a new pitcher when a hitter has 2 strikes, which is legal to do, mainly due to an injury to the pitcher. The opposing team could bring in a pitcher that throws from the other side.

The hitter should not be forced to stay on the side he was up to 2 strikes.

I agree. Maybe it was a wiffle ball rule I'm remembering.

Pat Venditte is doing very well for the single-A MFY affiliate Charleston Riverdogs. I wonder if he'll make AA by the end of the season?

Who knows, in a couple years we may actually be seeing this switch-pitcher in a Yankee uniform...

I'd be a lot more excited about this guy if he wasn't a Yankee.

I don't think we'll be seeing him throw 400 innings, not until he figures out a way to pitch without using the rest of his body. Actually, if you think about injuries Venditte is probably more likely to get hurt since he has two UCLs, two rotator cuffs, two sets of windups and stretch positions to deal with. Wonder what happens if he tears something in one arm? Does he just pitch with the other, and risk ending his career? From what I've heard his stuff probably isn't good enough to succeed at higher levels unless he's getting the platoon advantage all the time.

I'm ambidextrous, but I won't TMI you with that info! :wedge:

Since you started it... ;)

I'm basically right-handed and right-footed, but torn ACLs and torn something-in-my-shoulder-or-arm forced me to play with the other arm and leg quite a bit. I've played the outfield lefthanded for several games in softball, occasionally bat lefty, and have a pretty fair left-footed shot in soccer.

It's weird, it messes with your head to throw with the wrong arm. You can almost feel your brain rewiring itself to try to do something it doesn't normally do. Kind of hard to explain.

But to be fair, my throwing both lefty and righty is about a 12 on the scouts' 20-80 scale.

Since you started it... ;)

I'm basically right-handed and right-footed, but torn ACLs and torn something-in-my-shoulder-or-arm forced me to play with the other arm and leg quite a bit. I've played the outfield lefthanded for several games in softball, occasionally bat lefty, and have a pretty fair left-footed shot in soccer.

It's weird, it messes with your head to throw with the wrong arm. You can almost feel your brain rewiring itself to try to do something it doesn't normally do. Kind of hard to explain.

But to be fair, my throwing both lefty and righty is about a 12 on the scouts' 20-80 scale.

I can throw pretty comfortably with both arms and I can bat pretty comfortably from both sides of the plate. When I say "throw pretty comfortably" I mostly am referring to the fact that I can get the ball from point A to point B without feeling awkward. However, I have shredded both shoulders from injuries while skiing, and my right shoulder is way worse than my left, so throwing righty is pretty much as fun as having teeth pulled without anesthesia.

When batting I have similar bat speed from both sides of the plate, and while lefty I can turn on inside pitches a little better, but I have far more bat control batting righty, and I'm much more comfortable batting righty.

Just as a background, I was born left-handed and left-footed but my parents thought that being a lefty was like a sign of the devil, so they practically forced me to be right-handed. My left foot is still dominant but for whatever reason I'm comfortable doing things with my right foot. In terms of handedness, I write with my right hand, throw with my left, play tennis lefty, bat righty, play golf righty, use a fork/knife/spoon with either hand, and use chopsticks with my right hand.

So basically, I'm a mess.

Archived