Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test

Don_Aase_Fan

Sometimes I just don't understand things..... If I was a major league ball player and earning millions of dollars -- EVERY medicine or vitamin or whatever I'm taking, I'd be contacting MLB and their drug hot line to see if it is illegal or not.

It just ain't worth losing so much money over a simple overlook IMO.

im pretty sure each player has at least a pamphlet of the drugs that they have to stay away from

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
be more careful? they know what theyre doing, and of course they'll come out and go "i didnt know that substance was banned", of course they did. they just do it to save theyre ass, or attempt to anyway

I think it's pretty safe to say he's guilty of being stupid.

But what's the motivation here? We can determine that once we see what he actually took.

I think it's pretty safe to say he's guilty of being stupid.

But what's the motivation here? We can determine that once we see what he actually took.

We might not find that out. MLB doesn't release the specific drug. Manny's camp might, but that might hurt his "didn't know what I was taking" line of defense.

For those who haven't seen it yet, Manny Ramirez tested positive for steroids and will be suspended for 50 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

I can't help but think that this is just one more validation that many of the aging players who have been destroying baseball over the last few years (Manny, Bonds, Clemens being the most prominent) have been taking steroids. This is my opinion of course, but I think the evidence is there.

With that in mind, I can't help but think that this lends more credence to the idea that we shouldn't resign Huff for more than a year or two (if at all), and we should stay away from longer term deals with players in their low 30's. You simply can't use the last 10 years to project what players in their mid-30s will produce.

The more players that get caught, the riskier it will be to sign older players. Stick with the plan AM...stay young.

I don't really care that it's Manny or what this has to do with his stats and numbers, or even that this is a pretty long time since the rest of the major suspension...this is just dead awful for baseball. Terrible.

Manny did have a medical condition that warranted the drug. It's called aging.

Immensely stupid on his part. I really wish that teams would be able to completely void a contract if a player signs with them, and then tests positive for PEDs.

Sometimes I just don't understand things..... If I was a major league ball player and earning millions of dollars -- EVERY medicine or vitamin or whatever I'm taking, I'd be contacting MLB and their drug hot line to see if it is illegal or not.

It just ain't worth losing so much money over a simple overlook IMO.

Exactly. That is why I have no remorse for anyone in these situations. You know what you can't take. Don't take it.

If it was a prescription, I am fairly certain an alternative could have been prescribed that was not in violation. If there were any questions, he should have consulted with MLB. I could be wrong, but I doubt that happened.

I don't really care that it's Manny or what this has to do with his stats and numbers, or even that this is a pretty long time since the rest of the major suspension...this is just dead awful for baseball. Terrible.

I dunno, it's not like Manny is a beloved, revered figure or anything. His name has always been bounced around because he's Dominican and failed the Jose Canseco sniff test.

For those who haven't seen it yet, Manny Ramirez tested positive for steroids and will be suspended for 50 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

I can't help but think that this is just one more validation that many of the aging players who have been destroying baseball over the last few years (Manny, Bonds, Clemens being the most prominent) have been taking steroids. This is my opinion of course, but I think the evidence is there.

With that in mind, I can't help but think that this lends more credence to the idea that we shouldn't resign Huff for more than a year or two (if at all), and we should stay away from longer term deals with players in their low 30's. You simply can't use the last 10 years to project what players in their mid-30s will produce.

The more players that get caught, the riskier it will be to sign older players. Stick with the plan AM...stay young.

Yeah....best to stay away from used cars, too......;)

Archived