Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test

Don_Aase_Fan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to hear more about what was the "banned substance" for which Manny tested positive. I am sure more facts will come out.

I don't think this has any bearing on Huff. Some players played well up until about age 40 even before steroids. Some didn't. You have to look at players on a case-by-case basis. In any event Huff's next deal will be for ages 33-35, and many players have been good at that age, throughout baseball history.

Manny's natural abilities at baseball is amazing! He doesn't even really try much at baseball yet he's one of the best hitters. He doesn't care for fielding and you can tell when he's half-ass running out in the outfield. Even if he used steroids, fine that helped his numbers some I am sure, however, nobody can deny how talented of a hitter he is. He has one of the best eyes out there and his average tells it all year in and year out!

and also with all this drug testing since 2003-2004 you would think he woulda tested positive for something but hasn't up until now, so maybe he did take something prescribed by a doctor and did not check with MLB. I do not like Manny for the way he is but I can't deny his baseball talents. For the fact this is his first positive, I have to give him the benefit of doubt right now but we'll see as more truths come out with time. Would be strange for him to finally get caught for steroids if he's been using for a while... .are there ways to fool the testing system easily?

Someone please tell Andy to pick up the phone. Freel for FREE, just take him and his salary. They save 7.1 mil in salary (not paying Manny). Freel is a good fit for them. He can play all 3 o/f positions...2 of 3 o/f's bat lefty and Freel bats righty. Freel also can play 2b/3b (good for double switches). He also has some speed. Make the call.

They already have Juan Pierre, but nice attempted save to make this Orioles related.:D

Are you saying because of his statistics he's obviously a steroid user OR are you saying the way he looks obviously tells he's on steroids??

What about Albert Pujols, so he's on double steroids?

If you're saying that anyone who looks like Manny is obviously on steroids, then I guess half of baseball is on steroids. Manny isn't that REAL BIG, he looks like many of major league baseball players... So they're all on steroids? Or are you saying cause of his statistics?

Primarily his statistics and his age, but his "looks" certainly don't give me doubts.

I get where you're coming from, and I realize there's no proof, but historical outliers are historical outliers...and Manny is an historical outlier. Given his outlier statistics, age, financial incentives and the steroid era that surrounds us, I really have very little doubt.

Would my circumstantial evidence be enough to convict the man? Absolutely not. Are many doubters reasonable? Sure. Are people who try to shut down the argument based on lack of verifiable proof more likely to be correct than me? I'd say no.

Wow. I'm stunned. Just. . .wow.

I can completely see Manny being scatterbrained enough to not even think about MLB drug testing when the doctor gave him his prescription. Maybe he has psoriasis or something.

Or maybe he's just making it all up and was juicing for its own sake. But the first explanation makes me feel better until the truth comes out, if it ever does.

Manny's natural abilities at baseball is amazing! He doesn't even really try much at baseball yet he's one of the best hitters. He doesn't care for fielding and you can tell when he's half-ass running out in the outfield. Even if he used steroids, fine that helped his numbers some I am sure, however, nobody can deny how talented of a hitter he is. He has one of the best eyes out there and his average tells it all year in and year out!

and also with all this drug testing since 2003-2004 you would think he woulda tested positive for something but hasn't up until now, so maybe he did take something prescribed by a doctor and did not check with MLB. I do not like Manny for the way he is but I can't deny his baseball talents. For the fact this is his first positive, I have to give him the benefit of doubt right now but we'll see as more truths come out with time. Would be strange for him to finally get caught for steroids if he's been using for a while... .are there ways to fool the testing system easily?

Good post. People correctly (IMO) say the same things about Bonds. IMO, he was going to be a HOFer either way. Manny may have been too. I don't know.

I know I'm being part of the witch hunt crowd, but what makes you think you have any idea what Manny's natural ability really is?

I can't know for sure, but given that 80% of baseball was also using steroids, his advantage was somewhat negated. Plus, you still have to be an amazing hitter to put up the numbers he did; steroids can only do so much.

Ok, I understand where you're coming from. Obviously yes the easy answer here is yes Manny has been using steroids. I understand that. I just find it strange that he's never failed a positive test until now, I'm sure he's gone through many as have most MLB players nowadays. Doesn't EVERY player get tested at least once or twice a year now?

Soon everybody will look at baseball the same way as football. Where guys can pop positive and still make the pro bowl.

No, I'm sorry. It is bad for baseball, and not everybody will look at baseball and turn a blind eye on this topic. It's increasing sad that so many HoF calibre stars are all being tainted by these PED situations and that a sport that relishes its history and tradition continues to allow this whole situation to perpetuate.

And the "he was a great player anyway" defense doesn't fly with me because we're judging their performance in comparison to all that is current and that has come before. When the "stars" are all playing head and shoulders above the honest crowd, how can differentiate between them?

And the "steroids don't really have an effect" defense isn't convincing to me because of the sheer numbers of mature, rational adults who have risked their careers to use this stuff to get an advantage on the honest. (It's not sugar pills... it's a huge $$ industry).

And the "there's been cheating before" argument is irrelevent. It doesn't make this right... pure and simple.

And the worst part is... it makes the sport of baseball so much less enjoyable because this overshadows and diminishes what is done on the field every day. :mad:

BTW - I know I'm in the minority and there are OHers who vociferously disagree with my opinions on this, which is fine. I'm sure they'll articulate their position on things - hopefully, they won't be waiting for a reply from me as I probably won't be able to get back to this thread in awhile. Just my 1.5 cents anyway. :P

Archived