No Deal

Belkast

This is the fault of MLB. Like everything they are having it both ways. I for one have had it not only with the birds, but with MLB. I do not go through this BS with any other sports that I follow. They may lose due to poor choices, but at least there is a frickin even playing field when it comes to salary caps. MLB should ram this down the throats of the players and their agents. When they go on strike again either fire them (if legal, I don't know if it is) or play a bunch of amateurs until the players union crumbles. For F-sake, we basically are watching a bunch of amateurs play anyways. Get some balls and correct this mess. I can not watch the same two teams from the NL and AL year after frickin year because these players make more money than, God, Allah, and Buddha combined.

Rant over. Sorry guys.

The problem with the "system is broke" argument is that if we did have a hard slotting system in place, the O's never would have gotten the chance to take Wieters at 5. He would have been drafted number one or at most two.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gimme a break. Matt Wieters is a 21-year-old adult. He can choose his representation, and he can choose whether or not to take his advice. Let's not pretend that Boras is some kind of evil Darth Vader caricature immorally manipulating a naive little kid.
As a former college professor, it's been my experience that the term 21 year old adult is frequently an oxymoron.:D

I think the first post saying Wieters was going back into the draft made me mad. However the later post by belkast saying that they are two million apart makes me optimistic. I think that is where Lucky and some of the other posters are questioning things. Sounds like Boras is leaking that he wont budge and is trying to make his last push to make the teams cave in closer to his demands.

Didn't Weaver and Drew sign at the last minute annd then cave in. Boras seems like he is ice cold in negotiations but he is not stupid. He is definitely playing chicken with the O's. However if the offer is anywhere close to 6million+ then I just dont think Boras will have Wieters not sign.

When is Scott Boras bobblehead night?

I don't know but I've heard you'll have to negotiate your price for one at the door...

... expect a crowd of thousands at the gate, trying like hell to work out what the ticket price actually is, with only 2 seconds remaining before the first pitch.

The problem with the "system is broke" argument is that if we did have a hard slotting system in place, the O's never would have gotten the chance to take Wieters at 5. He would have been drafted number one or at most two.

And the problem with this is, why did we draft him at 5 if we weren't willing to pay the price?

Latest from Jim Callis at Baseball America:

The Orioles reportedly have offered No. 5 choice Matt Wieters a major league contract worth slightly less than the guaranteed $8.5 million deal that No. 1 pick David Price got from the Devil Rays today. Wieters, also advised by Scott Boras, apparently is looking for more than $10 million.

If they're offering $8M, you gotta think that Wieters takes that. I'll still blame the O's for not going higher if we can't get him done, but at least thats a respectable offer.

Archived