Rowell: .302/.368/.447 (as of May 7)

Frobby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rowel hit 2 more HR today.

He is now hitting .303 with a .848 OPS.

If he is still hitting like this at the AS break, do you move him up to Bowie?

I wouldn't. He's still very young and just now building up some momentum. I say you let him ride this for the full year. If he starts hitting 950, then we'll discuss it.

A comparison of the overrated, cocky Rowell and Mike Moustakas, who was the 2nd overall pick by the Royals a year after Billy. Oh, Billy is one day older than Moustakas:

Rowell:

.303/.361/.468/.848

Moustakas:

.278/.319/.454/.773

Both in High A

Clearly Billy has no chance of ever being very good. He doesn't possess the work ethic.;)

What is this guy's position? There seems to be more of a need at the corner infield positions. With Jones, Markakis, Reimold, Scott, Pie, Montanez, Avery, does this guy need to stay in the outfield? Do you experts see him moving back to 3rd or 1st next season?

What is this guy's position? There seems to be more of a need at the corner infield positions. With Jones, Markakis, Reimold, Scott, Pie, Montanez, Avery, does this guy need to stay in the outfield? Do you experts see him moving back to 3rd or 1st next season?

The plan is for him to move to 1st eventually. They didn't want to waste his arm this year. He won't be moving back to 3B unfortuanately he is not good enough there.

I'll start by saying I like Rowell and I'm rooting for him. Would be great if he could put up big numbers this year and regain his top prospect status. But thinking about it, I have more support for Jordan's theory of drafting players with tools. Rowell really needs to hit for a high average and hit for power to have any chance to make it in the big leagues. He won't be making it based on his speed or defense. He's really only a 2-tool player, which gives him less opportunity.

If you draft a player with more tools, even if they are not as well developed at that stage (someone like Avery), there are more ways they can make it to the big leagues.

Again, I hope he has a great year and becomes a top power prospect.

I actually 100% agree with Jordan's strategy for drafting tools players in 2nd-5th rounds.

When it comes to 1st round picks, you need to (heavily) weigh the ability for the player to maximize his potential. If that means taking the polished 2-tool player over a more raw 5-tool player, then so be it. But I think there's too much money in 1st-round picks to gamble.

Rowell was seen as having the bat to carry him into the majors. We're starting to see that now. Hopefully next year he lights up Bowie (and maybe Norfolk) as a 21 year old and we have either a future RF, DH, or 3B on our hands. We'll see. I want to see a player perform in AA or higher before I annoit him anything (I don't think I'm alone in that view.)

The plan is for him to move to 1st eventually. They didn't want to waste his arm this year. He won't be moving back to 3B unfortuanately he is not good enough there.

Cool. I saw him play once in this season in Frederick, and I'm no scout, but he looks too lanky to be a MLB third baseman. I'd like for him to challenge Snyder for 1st base beacuse the O's appear to be set in the OF.

I'd be interested to know if either of them came off a lefty.

And if I may be so bold to go further, what kind of pitches he hit out.

Both of them came off of lefties. Liotta and Hardy. No idea what they were tossing though.

Big boys, though. 6'3 and 6'4.

And you believe these people because ......

How many 20 year olds put up 800+ ops at Frederick the past five years?

After the first month of the season? Probably a whole ton.

Lets see where he is when the dust settles after the season.

Just sayin....;)

Archived