Welcome to the organization Joey Gathright (Acquired from Cubs for Freel)

MurphDogg

No, as reported by Rosenthal, this deal is cash-neutral. The O's are paying Freel's salary, the Cubs are paying Gathright's.

So, we get a free 40 man spot and a possible 4th outfielder for this. I was hoping to dump some cash on the Cubbies, but maybe that's asking for too much.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, we get a free 40 man spot and a possible 4th outfielder for this. I was hoping to dump some cash on the Cubbies, but maybe that's asking for too much.
Do you think Freel would still count on the 40-man if we had just released him? :)

All we did was add Gathright on a minor league deal, essentially.

Gathright is terrible. He's just a speedy outfielder. Good grief.

He's in the minors and not on the 25 man roster. Chill.

Would you rather have Freel complaining incessantly?

Look, we got rid of a guy who clearly doesn't want to be here for a guy we don't have any specific obligation to. And we cleared a roster spot too.

What's your point?

We basically released Freel. Gathright's never gonna play for us.

I guess if you look at it that way, sure.

Sorry, was a gut reaction. Didn't think about (hopefully) the fact that Gathright won't be with the big club. However, if Trembley/MacPhail brings him up on the big club I will raise hell. ;) I can hear it now:

"He's a gamer. Lots of speed, plays small ball. Can't hit a lick, but he's fast. Just the guy I love!" ~ Trembley

:P;)

Does this leave a hole in the 40 man roster? Could this be setting us up for a more dramatic move?

Anything is possible, I guess, but nope. Not only was there nothing for Freel to do except clog up a roster spot, but the way he starting talking in public, it seemed very apparent to me that AM would get rid of him pronto, which he did. Since he had nothing to do here, his days were numbered anyway. But by running his mouth, he punched his own ticket out of town.

I guess if you look at it that way, sure.

Sorry, was a gut reaction. Didn't think about (hopefully) the fact that Gathright won't be with the big club. However, if Trembley/MacPhail brings him up on the big club I will raise hell. ;) I can hear it now:

"He's a gamer. Lots of speed, plays small ball. Can't hit a lick, but he's fast. Just the guy I love!" ~ Trembley

:P;)

The only way Gathright ever comes up is as a 4th OF if we get rid of Pie.

We're not gonna go with Montanez as our backup, so we'll need someone who can handle CF.

I really doubt that happens though. He'll be in the minors the rest of the year. We'd have to add him to the 40-man anyway, which I really doubt happens.

Anything is possible, I guess, but nope. Not only was there nothing for Freel to do except clog up a roster spot, but the way he starting talking in public, it seemed very apparent to me that AM would get rid of him pronto, which he did. Since he had nothing to do here, his days were numbered anyway. But by running his mouth, he punched his own ticket out of town.

I'm sure that's why Freel started talking out in public like that. He realized he wasn't going to get much playing time here in Baltimore.

Oh boy, yet another speedy outfielder who can't hit a lick. I saw Gathright when he first came up with the Rays, his speed impressed me, however, as time has told, he cannot hit. Felix Pie 2 all over again... what are we going to do with this guy?

When the O's are in the playoffs and they need a clutch stolen base, Dave Roberts style, Gathright's our guy. :D

I wrote in another thread that I'd be shocked if the O's got anything for Freel. Consider me shocked, especially that they got a player I've heard of. Gathright most likely won't be anything other than minor-league depth and a possible bench addition in September, but clearing the disgruntled Freel off the roster is the main key here. I rarely disagree with MacPhail's trades, and this is no exception.

Archived