IMO the only way Green goes in the top 5 is if we take him with the 5th pick. I highly highly doubt that he will be gone in the top 5 tho. Then again if this year is a fluke and he ius just having a down year (see Jake Arrieta) then someone will have a potential steal on their hands. Remember, a good Grant Green was supposedly a #2 pick in this draft this year, imagine if he falls to the 20th pick this year and performs for that team to his full potential that he had all along. To me its way too much of a risk to take him at 5, but for people to doubt his potential for 1 down season after having many more successful seasons seems almost superficial. But like I said way to much of a risk to take at 1:5 for me....especially with the Orioles lack of room for error.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing.....Joe Jordan has this thing about him, Ill call it a weakness. When he sees someone he likes, he falls in love with them and no matter who/what other picks are still available, he takes the guy he likes. IF JJ fell in love with this guy(Green) before this year, he will look past all his lack of offense and power and take him at 1:5. This is the reasoning that Jordan used when he took Avery last year with other decent college bats available and good HS pitching available last year. Not saying its a bad thing especially with the way that Avery is performing this year, but it could possibly be a bad thing if he takes Grant Green and his lack of offense isnt a fluke and that it was a fluke when he was having good seasons....hope this makes sense :)

One more thing.....Joe Jordan has this thing about him, Ill call it a weakness. When he sees someone he likes, he falls in love with them and no matter who/what other picks are still available, he takes the guy he likes. IF JJ fell in love with this guy(Green) before this year, he will look past all his lack of offense and power and take him at 1:5. This is the reasoning that Jordan used when he took Avery last year with other decent college bats available and good HS pitching available last year. Not saying its a bad thing especially with the way that Avery is performing this year, but it could possibly be a bad thing if he takes Grant Green and his lack of offense isnt a fluke and that it was a fluke when he was having good seasons....hope this makes sense :)

I think you are confusin his comment a bit. Jordan wanted Avery, but he liked him enough to have him ranked ahead of those other guys. I don't think it was a case of falling in love with a player and then having that player's value decrease. You are certainly correct that it seems like Jordan will stick to his guns when it comes to the rankings he and his staff ultimately arrive at. So, if he and his staff actually believe Green is a top five talent, I could see Baltimore drafting him. But I don't think Jordan has shown any propencity to draft a player based on past rating rather than draft-time rating.

What is your opinion of Green, Stotle?

I have a full write-up on him at our site. Gist of it is Top 10 guy with good skill set. I think he can stay at SS and that he should be showing more power than he is.

... but who's counting? ;)

The amateur draft is like Christmas morning for me. Considering the knowledge of Jordan (and how early the O's are usually picking :wedge:), you know you're going to get something good. You just don't know what. :)

Archived