Where is Our Clutch Hitting Late in Games?

Old#5fan

BUMP!

June 17 -- Down by 4-2 in the 8th, the O's score 1 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to beat the Mets 5-4.

Great post, but you've got the details on this one wrong--it wasn't really a comeback win. It should be: "Tied with the Mets 4-4 after six, the O's score 2 in the 7th to win."

It's not the offense so much as the bullpen that shone in this one (Johnson in the 7th and 8th for the W, Sherril in the 9th with the S).

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BUMP!

Yeah, it's too bad that Markakis is such a choker. He sure choked like a dog last night with 2 outs in the 8th, two on, down by a run against one of the best closers in the game.

And while I'm on the subject, I wonder if Dave Magadan was watching when BRob had his run scoring double in that same inning. Not bad for a guy who had already quit!

That's what, the sixth time the O's have erased a late inning deficit in the space of about two-three weeks?

June 13 -- Down 4-2 in the 7th, the O's score 6 runs in the 7th to beat the Braves, 8-4.

June 17 -- Down by 4-2 in the 8th, the O's score 1 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to beat the Mets 5-4.

June 18 -- Down by 5-3 in the 9th, the O's score 3 times to beat the Mets, 6-5.

June 21 -- Down 1-0 in the 6th, the O's score 1 in the 6th and 1 in the 8th to beat the Phillies 2-1.

June 23 -- Down 6-1 in the 8th, the O's score 2 in the 8th and 3 in the 9th to tie the game 6-6 before falling to the Marlins in extra innings.

June 30 -- Down 10-1 in the 7th, the O's score 5 in the 7th and 5 in the 8th to beat the Red Sox 11-10.

I don't ever want to hear again about how these players are quitters or chokers. They aren't the best team in the world, and they make plenty of mental mistakes, but you really can't doubt their effort in my opinion.

Good bump, Frank. We got another one today from Adam Jones.

Archived