Where is Our Clutch Hitting Late in Games?

Old#5fan

It doesn't make any difference to me in my argument which is based on so far this year. If it does to you, I suggest you can look them up under "Close and Late hitting stats for this season so far."

OK I was trying to be agreeable with you and not call you the dumbest poster in the history of the internet. I stated that I tried to look it up and couldn't. But I suspect that it has to be less than 10 ABs in that situations at this point in the season. Of course keeping with you "looking" like the dumbest poster on the internet you don't see any problem with your analysis of the numbers. Will Nick suddenly be an allstar if he goes hits a HR in his next AB in the close and late situation? Try the little exercise of plugging that into the numbers. Just keep on thinking M Young is obviously a better player. I usually try to laugh you off I guess you are even wearing on me.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, folks, have to agree with Old#5Fan here. He's not talking about over hitting with runners in scoring position, he's talking about hitting in the later innings. And the numbers are not good there. Close & Late:

Hell hath frozen over!

So then Brooks was not, in fact, "clutch."

You just remember him as such. Which I would suggest is a result of him being great in general and playing for great teams....so his triumphs and feats get magnified. It's the Jeter-effect.

Or it is possible he was getting most of his clutch hits at Memorial stadium which is where I remember seeing most all of them!:)

OK I was trying to be agreeable with you and not call you the dumbest poster in the history of the internet. I stated that I tried to look it up and couldn't. But I suspect that it has to be less than 10 ABs in that situations at this point in the season. Of course keeping with you "looking" like the dumbest poster on the internet you don't see any problem with your analysis of the numbers. Will Nick suddenly be an allstar if he goes hits a HR in his next AB in the close and late situation? Try the little exercise of plugging that into the numbers. Just keep on thinking M Young is obviously a better player. I usually try to laugh you off I guess you are even wearing on me.

No need to get testy about it. You must have missed Frobby posting that Markakis is 3-20 so far in Close and Late situations this season - all three singles. Make of it what you want but that is the stats.

As a predictor (if you believe that sort of thing) than Markakis should be due to go on a tear hitting in C and L situations right?;)

Eh, I tend to look at these things as flips of a coin, i.e., what happened on the last 10 flips has no bearing, positive or negative, on what is likely to happen in the next 10 flips. Overall, I'd expect Nick to hit .300/.400/.500 in Close & Late situations for the rest of the year, which is what I would expect in any other situation. If he does that, he might end up at something like .275/.360/.440 for the year in Late & Close situation due to his slow start.

No need to get testy about it. You must have missed Frobby posting that Markakis is 3-20 so far in Close and Late situations this season - all three singles. Make of it what you want but that is the stats.

I did see that after I posted what I did. It really does no good to debate these sorts of things with you. I really don't see why I was trying to reason with you. Nick is a great player and he might even have a game winning RBI someday, please carry on.

I did see that after I posted what I did. It really does no good to debate these sorts of things with you. I really don't see why I was trying to reason with you. Nick is a great player and he might even have a game winning RBI someday, please carry on.

Great players usually have many game winning rbi's including in Close and Late situations. I guess Markakis is just way over due eh?

Just my opinion, but May 11 isn't the time to be deciding who deserves to be an all star in any event. Hypothetically, though, if Markakis was hitting .158/.158/.158 in late and close situations as of the end of June, I'd certainly consider that in weighing whether he deserved to be an all star.

Right now there are a lot of good OF candidates, including Bay, Jones, Swisher, Damon, Lind and Hunter in addition to Markakis. There's a lot of baseball to be played before we worry about whether Markakis deserves an all star nod.

I agree. Whether or not Markakis is an All Star is neither her nor there. I was just pointing out that the reasoning was absolutely silly.

Show where anyone has claimed that? What I did claim and stand by is how can someone be a true-allstar when they get all their stats early on in the games and when the game is on the line and a clutch hit is needed most they hit 158?

Someone is an all star by virtue of being voted on to the all star team. There can be no "true all star" or "all star caliber" type players. There can only be those who are voted onto the team and those who are not. :rolleyes:

I did no such thing. I actually said he doesn't deserve it when he's hitting 158 in clutch or close and late hitting situations. That is simply terrible any way you slice it, Markakis fan or not. How anyone can choose to overlook this is beyond blind homerism in my estimation.:eek:

Your whole premise for this thread was that Damon and Young have hit game winning homeruns and Markakis, Jones, Roberts, etc have not. You then said that Markakis or Roberts don't deserve to be All Stars no matter what their numbers are because they haven't done so. You did all of this without even posting a single piece of evidence to support your argument in regards to Damon or Young or Markakis or Roberts or Jones.

Someone is an all star by virtue of being voted on to the all star team. There can be no "true all star" or "all star caliber" type players. There can only be those who are voted onto the team and those who are not. :rolleyes:

I agree and I don't think anyone should get voted or picked for an All-star team when they are hitting 158 when the game is on the line. But that's just my view.

But that isn't what this thread is about for O5F. For him, he is searching for the "reason" for this issue. The reason is "small sample size". They don't all conveniently hit against the starter (who should be the most talented/complete pitcher on average) and then suck against the bullpen. It is simply sample size.
If people just stop responding to him like we all should, this issue goes away.

There have been 28 people who have posted in this thread. 27 of them all understand exactly what these numbers mean, and we've had a couple small conversations that were actually enlightening. Lets just let the 27 people who have the ability to discuss baseball civilly and intelligently do just that and not let one guy who turns every thread into a worthless waste of time ruin another one.

Our main offensive guys have struggled late in games so far this year. That should almost certainly turn around based on history, and that should allow us to not struggle as much in close ballgames.

I think Frobby is dead on in that it's pretty plain our big bats generally haven't produced late in games this year, but it really does not mean that they are poor players or "not clutch" or anything. However, it is a trend, and our coaching staff should be acting to try to fix it.

Your whole premise for this thread was that Damon and Young have hit game winning homeruns and Markakis, Jones, Roberts, etc have not. You then said that Markakis or Roberts don't deserve to be All Stars no matter what their numbers are because they haven't done so. You did all of this without even posting a single piece of evidence to support your argument in regards to Damon or Young or Markakis or Roberts or Jones.

I never said any such thing. I said that anyone hitting 158 in game winning situations doesn't deserve to be an all-star period. Roberts is indeed hitting 122 so he doesn't deserve to be named to it either at this point in time.

Archived