Xavier Avery

BringBackMagic

Any prospect can be league average in avoiding strikeouts over a 10 game period. You know better than to use that as the basis of any lasting satisfaction that his K/BB rates are no longer a concern.

I can't believe you even suggested that.

I cited the most recent 10 game stretch for which stats are readily available.

Avery's turnaround has been going on for longer than that.

We'll see how he progresses from here. Considering the unmistakable improvement in indicators around BBs, Ks and xbhs, I am comfortable calling out Avery's improvement and suggesting this turnaround is for real.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's pretty amazing to me that Avery now has more walks than Hoes (4 to 3).

Someone (preferably Frobby) please start a 'Hoes is over matched' thread.

Speaking of Hoes, does anybody know if he's battling an injury or is he just overmatched right now?

I cited the most recent 10 game stretch for which stats are readily available.

Avery's turnaround has been going on for longer than that.

We'll see how he progresses from here. Considering the unmistakable improvement in indicators around BBs, Ks and xbhs, I am comfortable calling out Avery's improvement and suggesting this turnaround is for real.

I think it's time to get excited about Avery. I was excited when we drafted him because we need to take a few fliers on these kinds of guys. Sure, it was high risk, but if he produced like this at the ML level in 3 years, we'll be reaping the rewards.

At the same time, we do need to accept the fact that he is just 19 years old. Tore the low minors to pieces out of high school and then as a book was developed on him, his progression slowed down. Don't think that coaches around Low-A aren't writing up scouting reports on Avery as we speak, trying to figure out a way to keep him off the bases.

Baseball is a game of adjustments. We'll see later this year if Avery can continue to make proper adjustments. He had to in order to make this turnaround but it's always about staying one step ahead.

As I posted in another thread, Avery has reached based 2X or more in 7 of 8 games. He has cut his K/AB rate nearly in half in May from April and his total BBs and XBHs in April was 1, but is 14 in half of May with an obp north of .500 and ops over 1.25 so far. Unbelievable.

Is this just a hot streak? Or can someone who has seen him play give any insight to see if he's really catching on?

He's clearly on a hot streak with the XBHs and obp, but the improvement in K/AB and BB/K are tangible signs that he is catching on.

Looking at what Avery's done, I've been impressed with his ability to cut the K's down dramatically this month. After striking out in 35.4% of his AB's in April, it's all the way down to 14% for the month so far. The K% is still high so far on the season (28.7%). Hopefully he gets it down to around 20 percent or under 20 by the end of the season.

BTW, the OPS comparison from April (.385) to May (1.178) is just plain ridiculous and eye-popping.

Looking at what Avery's done, I've been impressed with his ability to cut the K's down dramatically this month. After striking out in 35.4% of his AB's in April, it's all the way down to 14% for the month so far. The K% is still high so far on the season (28.7%). Hopefully he gets it down to around 20 percent or under 20 by the end of the season.

BTW, the OPS comparison from April (.385) to May (1.178) is just plain ridiculous and eye-popping.

On the big-league level, you obviously can't just ignore an entire month of play when evaluating a player, but in this instance, I think it's alright in the even that Avery continues to perform at this level or near it for the rest of the year. If he can have his K-rate at 20 % from May on, even if it's over for the year, I still think that's a helluva lotta growth for a kid his age at this point in his development.

I don't know how his competition was in high school, but it must be tough to be a patient hitter when you're so far above the level of competition.

I hit over .400 my senior year, and I'm no Ted Williams. Sometimes it felt like I was playing softball.

Now, he's in full season ball, going against college players, and he's forced to really concentrate on what he's doing at the plate. It looks like he's making necessary adjustments.

Archived