Xavier Avery

BringBackMagic

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Delmarva playing a DH today, 6/6/09. Avery has bunted for hits his first two times up and had an infield single to the SS his third. He's really been getting his share of bunt hits lately and learning to use his speed to his advantage. Believe it or not, Avery is over the .300 mark right now. Now, if he get start stealing bases at a good rate, he'll have the speed game down pretty well. Then maybe some walks but one step at a time.

He is still young enough that it is of little concern to me, but if he goes about life trying to get on via bunts and grounders . . . he will not be a very successful MLB player. That said . . . I think his gap power will show up in a year or two.

I agree that I don't want him to become a singles/slap hitter but I think it's good that he's learning to bunt and use it as a weapon.

Right, it's a weapon, and a good thing to learn. Draws the infielders in, gives them something else to worry about. As long as he's not a one trick pony...

Ironic how he's doing this on a day when the MLB draft is being held. I remember that there were a lot of eyebrows raised around here when he was picked last year. Right now, that pick looks brilliant.

Well said, Frobby.

Many were shocked at the Avery pick and now he´s one of our most exciting prospects.

You have to give credit to Joe Jordan for going with his picks rather than sticking to the national consensus. If he truly believes in these picks, I´m happy, and if this Avery selection is any indication of his ability to evaluate talent, I´ll be very happy.

Although this draft looks mediocre on its face, there are a lot of projects and a lot of sleepers in there. Time will tell.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but it looks like his base stealing ability has been improving as well.

After going 10 for 18 in stolen bases through the end of may he has been successful in each of his last 5 attempts coming into today.

He has the potential to develop an exciting power/speed combination.

Avery is quickly becoming one of our better hitting prospects. A real concern of our minor leagues has been after Snyder, who will be our next wave of minor league hitters? Now that Avery has shown those flashes of brilliance, I am confident he could be the start of the next wave of young oriole hitters (followed up by Townsend and Givens and hopefully Hoes). The best part is he is doing all of this at 19 years old, by next year he will be up at High A at only 20 years old. He is on the right track to the majors.

Ironic how he's doing this on a day when the MLB draft is being held. I remember that there were a lot of eyebrows raised around here when he was picked last year. Right now, that pick looks brilliant.

This quote below on us drafting Avery sounds almost identical to one SG posted yesterday, so maybe the reverse jinx will work again in our favor.

On Avery:

I don't like this pick at all...Too many better prospects there for them to take a project right here, especially one who sounds like another Lorenzo Scott/Darnell McDonald guy.

On Hobgood:

Terrible pick...Way too many more talented players available to go with this pick..Definitely a reach IMO.

Doesn't even throw that hard, especially for his size.

Archived