Pie to hospital. Next stop DL?

PrivateO

The problem is, can you justify bringing up a bench player that will never play over a prospect that is dominating AAA?

In the event of an injury to Jones, you can go with someone for the rest of that game and then get the CFer up for the next day.

Can't Markakis play CF in an emergency? While not ideal, I don't see why he couldn't?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it but if there is any way they can send Pie to the DL, they have to do it. I don't want to lose him but we need to get Reimold up here ASAP. I believe bringing up players when they are on a roll, and Reimold has been doing that since opening day.

Can't Markakis play CF in an emergency? While not ideal, I don't see why he couldn't?

Exactly. Markakis would be fine for the rest of the game if Jones got injured and we would probably call up Gathright from AAA for the next game if it were serious.

Assuming Pie is healthy, what are the odds of a team claiming him if the O's try to send him to the minors - at this point? If it's 50/50, do you take that chance - seeing as Reimold has more than earned a shot at starting in LF or DH while Pie clearly could use minor league seasoning (and the PCL does not prepare hitters for the majors like the IL does)?

Assuming Pie is healthy, what are the odds of a team claiming him if the O's try to send him to the minors - at this point? If it's 50/50, do you take that chance - seeing as Reimold has more than earned a shot at starting in LF or DH while Pie clearly could use minor league seasoning (and the PCL does not prepare hitters for the majors like the IL does)?

I'd personally say that there's a 25% chance he makes it past waivers.

Though there's only a 50/50 shot at that. (reference anyone?)

Good news....If he tore something, I doubt they would keep him overnight.

Obviously its not something like an appendix issue.

He could have an ab strain.

For them to send him to the hospital, I would think it is more than just an upset stomach.

Could be a kidney stone like when Roberts went to the hospital for a "stomach ailment" last spring training and everyone thought he had been traded to the Cubs.

I'd personally say that there's a 25% chance he makes it past waivers.

Though there's only a 50/50 shot at that. (reference anyone?)

Naked Gun? The benchmark and reference for all later film.

I for one think Pie will clear waivers.

To add another thought to this discussion, the Orioles might not have to go with a 2 man bench tomorrow if Pie can't go.

Hendrickson has only gone 5 innings total in his last two starts, throwing only 100 pitches in the the last 10 days. He is also the one who will most likely lose his rotation spot to Hill. We could option out McCrory and call up someone from AAA shall they be needed and then send them down when Hill is activated.

I was thinking the same thing last night. But I doubt that Hendrickson is available tonight. Neither is Bass and they have not had Baez go back to back nights. That means they'd have Johnson, Walker, Ray, and Sherrill ready tonight if McCrory is sent down. So the question has a few aspects to it: For tonight's game, do you go with no bench in favor of having more bullpen options against a good hitting team; or do you add a hitter and risk extending your bullpen if Bergesen gets knocked out early? If both Pie and Scott are ready for Kansas City, is it necessary to have the extra bat until Hill makes his start? If the information available says that Scott and Pie will be ready Thursday, then I would keep McCrory up in Baltimore tonight.

They have been saying "stomach problems."

That's pretty vague. If he's going to the hospital, it's obviously more than a tummyache. It may just be food poisoning or the like. But still.

I had food poisoning. I would not wish that on anyone.

So if Pie doesn't need to go to the DL, but isn't available tonight, what are they gonna do?

Montanez can't throw right now so he can only DH, Scott is unavailable and Pie is hypothetically unavailable.

Wiggy in LF with no OF backups tonight and Montanez at DH again? That leaves a bench of just Andino and Moeller.

Everybody struggles mightily when they get called up. It's the nature of the beast. I don't want Reimold up for a cup of coffee, however, only to see him struggle before finding his bigleague timing. I want him to be given the same patience we've shown, so far, to Pie.

Well Pie has not really gotten enough time either. Hope he is going to be ok.

Everybody struggles mightily when they get called up. It's the nature of the beast. I don't want Reimold up for a cup of coffee, however, only to see him struggle before finding his bigleague timing. I want him to be given the same patience we've shown, so far, to Pie.[/QUOTE]You mean 57 AB and then bench him. If that's the plan, I'd rather Reimold stay in AAA.

Archived