More Morning Baseball Goodness!

DuffMan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, those inherited runners did not score. However, Myrtle Beach scored 3 in the 7th and the score is now 5-4 Frederick.

Other notes:

Rowell is 0-2 with a walk and a k. His avg is down to .273 for now.

Caleb Joseph is 2-3, and his average is back up to .322

Not a fantastic outing, but solid enough. It's nice to see his ERA tick under 3.00. I'd be hoping for sub 2.50 by May 31 and then maybe you can think about a promotion.

If it wasn't fantastic, but it was pretty close. He only gave up one run over 5.2, and that was on a wind aided HR.

He did give up 4 BBs but, as AV said, the wind could have played a role in those as well.

If it wasn't fantastic, but it was pretty close. He only gave up one run over 5.2, and that was on a wind aided HR.

He did give up 4 BBs but, as AV said, the wind could have played a role in those as well.

Come on already, enough with the excuses. His command was a bit off today. IMO, not a real concern with Matusz, but he and our other pitching prospects really need to start getting deeper into games.

I'm not trying making excuses. Because I've never pitched a game in my life, I don't have a clue as to how 40 mph winds affect your command, your release, etc.

For not having the greatest of stuff, he battled high winds and a tough lineup over 5.2 innings, albeit in a no-decision since the bullpen collapsed. We all want our guys to go 7 innings a start, but the truth is it doesn't happen. This is a good start for him to learn some things from, from facing a solid lineup to learning to fight when you don't have all of your pitches working well.

I'd argue that Heyward's HR off of Matusz was not wind aided. The wind was blowing from right to left all day, but he absolutely crushed the ball to the opposite field. Jason Heyward is currently ranked 5th on Baseball America's Milb top prospect list; it wasn't a fluke HR.

Later in the game Linares hit a 3 run HR off of Barb from the right side that was without a doubt wind-aided. It was hit straight up in the air and kept going and going and going.

Rowell did get a solid smash single in his final AB, but his other hit was a dribbler/swinging bunt.

Great game to attend, aside from all the screaming field trip kids.

Did anyone at the game see the ball Billy just watch drop in the outfield, it look like it was gone at first and Billy gave up on it.

The ball was hammered to RF, from where I was sitting it looked liked it was going to be a majestic blast but the wind fooled me, and apparently Rowell who was standing flat footed until the ball bounced off the bottom of the wall.

Archived