Poll: Would Grant Green be a reach at No. 5?

Would Grant Green be a reach at No. 5?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would Grant Green be a reach at No. 5?

Plate discipline, getting stronger to build to his tall lanky frame, becoming more polished with the glove just to name a few.....These are major things, especially the glove and the plate discipline. We do not need a SS manning the most important position in the IF who will make an error every 2 or 3 games. Also, if this guy's power and hitting ability are going to translate into the majors he is going to need to increase his walk rate and cut down on strike outs by improving his discipline.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think of Hoes when I think "toolsy"; did you mean Avery? Hoes has no real tool that sticks out from the others. Average to slightly above across the board? Atleast, that's what I've seen.

Yeah, sorry, brain cramp. I was just scouting a HS 2b that reminded me of Hoes, so I had him on the brain. I meant Avery. There is another HS CF I was checking out yesterday that is pretty much the same player as Avery too, except his speed would be 90 if there was one.

Plate discipline, getting stronger to build to his tall lanky frame, becoming more polished with the glove just to name a few.....These are major things, especially the glove and the plate discipline. We do not need a SS manning the most important position in the IF who will make an error every 2 or 3 games. Also, if this guy's power and hitting ability are going to translate into the majors he is going to need to increase his walk rate and cut down on strike outs by improving his discipline.....

So there is nothing wrong with his swing in your opinion?

Typically when scouts talk abstractly about kinks they refer to batting technique.

So there is nothing wrong with his swing in your opinion?

Typically when scouts talk abstractly about kinks they refer to batting technique.

I haven't seen much, he had a little hiccup in it that was throwing his timing off when he was in that slump earlier, but it seems that he worked that out quickly.

Stot - what was that injury you said he had when you were out there? Just trying to put 2 and 2 together on high average, good slg %, low HR totals.

No I dont, hence the reason I said almost. He is a very raw college hitter though, he has weaknesses about him that I wouldnt necessarily expect from an elite college position player. So he will need a bit more devlopmental time than a Smoak or a G.Beckham would have. He definately has some kinks to work out. I wouldnt expect him to be in the majors in 2 years max like most would expect from a top 5 position talent from college. I believe it was you that preaches about not having to spend as much money on developing a college player compared to a HS player, but in this case he will be needing almost as much development as an advanced HS position player.

Didn't mean to offend -- I was honestly asking because it was a fair amount off from my personal take, that's all. I don't think "raw" when I think of Green, that's all. Here is his swing, incase you haven't had a chance to watch him yet:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATw27QLysc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATw27QLysc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

As you can see, he's pretty mechanically sound aside from his hips loosing some momentum with some movement towards the dugout (could play into some loss of power potential in his swing). But he's pretty quick to the ball. I was honestly just curious what you were seeing/thinking w/r/t his approach/mechanics. Didn't mean to question/offend.

I haven't seen much, he had a little hiccup in it that was throwing his timing off when he was in that slump earlier, but it seems that he worked that out quickly.

Stot - what was that injury you said he had when you were out there? Just trying to put 2 and 2 together on high average, good slg %, low HR totals.

Ankle during warm-ups then fouled a ball of his shin -- went to 1B for 2 games and then return to SS the next weekend against Arizona St.

Its cool Stot, I didnt mean to be a jerk back to you. It would make sense that his power would be affected by an injured ankle. Just like trying to pitch with a bad ankle, you cannot transfer the weight as well. And then even when it is 100% healed, your body and subconscious mind may not trust the ankle so he may not be transferring his weight as well. I know it is hard to ignore his season this year, but like I have been saying you cannot judge him based off of this season. The power will come, it has been there in the past. IMO his ceiling and projection is no different than it was in January before his powerless season. You just have to be confident in your own opionion and what your own scouts say. Joe Jordan is the type that would choose Green despite the season because Jordan sees the underlying value and skill in this kid. He has said before that he does not care what everyone else says about the the player or where the player ranks on some prospect list or draft sheet.

Ankle during warm-ups then fouled a ball of his shin -- went to 1B for 2 games and then return to SS the next weekend against Arizona St.

Hmmm...well that's not it. I was thinking maybe if there was a lingering shoulder or back thing maybe, just something minor and nagging, it would explain some of the errors and the lack of HR. Well, who knows. :noidea:

Hmmm...well that's not it. I was thinking maybe if there was a lingering shoulder or back thing maybe, just something minor and nagging, it would explain some of the errors and the lack of HR. Well, who knows. :noidea:

You dont think a tweaked ankle would affect the weight transfer in your swing? Especially if is something nagging that isnt serious enough to make you sit out, but enough pain that keeps you from swinging as hard as normal?

Also though, when he was toying with his swing mechanics, maybe he isnt all the way comfortable with his swing. Look at Bill Rowell, obviously the talent is there. He even had 2 different .300 BA plus stints, but he went into a slump and they started tweaking his swing. He was uncomfortable with it and driving everything into the ground. I still wouldnt say that he is swinging the bat completely right right now, I havent seen him. But yet and still he hasnt sniffed .300 since 06. (This year hopefully is different)

And just for the record, I am just theorizing, this stuff may make no sense at all, but I am the kind of person who needs to find out why. I am not satisfied with just knowing the effect, I gotta always know the cause.....

You dont think a tweaked ankle would affect the weight transfer in your swing? Especially if is something nagging that isnt serious enough to make you sit out, but enough pain that keeps you from swinging as hard as normal?

Also though, when he was toying with his swing mechanics, maybe he isnt all the way comfortable with his swing. Look at Bill Rowell, obviously the talent is there. He even had 2 different .300 BA plus stints, but he went into a slump and they started tweaking his swing. He was uncomfortable with it and driving everything into the ground. I still wouldnt say that he is swinging the bat completely right right now, I havent seen him. But yet and still he hasnt sniffed .300 since 06. (This year hopefully is different)

And just for the record, I am just theorizing, this stuff may make no sense at all, but I am the kind of person who needs to find out why. I am not satisfied with just knowing the effect, I gotta always know the cause.....

I'm the same way, but I don't think an ankle is going to have that effect. The rest of his mechanics are ok, an ankle would offset them a little at least, you'd be able to see him favoring it, besides that hiccup in his hips Stotle mentioned I don't see any signs of that. It's not a matter of swinging hard, most of the best HR hitters do it with very little effort in the swing, it's all about mechanics and hitting the right spot, the harder a pitcher throws, the less you have to hit it to completely crush one.

The errors he's getting might tell me something, if they are on the throw, bobbles, or just booting balls. If it's his ankle he wouldn't be getting to as many balls as he should, and he wouldn't be getting as many errors, but his range would be limited (in theory). If it was his shoulder or back, it could be messing with his release point which would create more errors on throws. I dunno, it's frustrating, because there is something just a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it. No big though, still worth a top 7 pick IMO.

Archived