BA's 2009 Mock Draft (v1.0)

This isn't a power ranking where they just rank the prospects in order of their talent. BA is matching players with teams who have shown definite interest in the players. Churchill and Law have both stated that San Diego has Green on their short list of players at #3.

I know its not a power ranking, but One of the editors of this list themselves said that they have NO inside information, they are just going off of where the editors think these guys will go. They are just way off IMO. Teams are showing interest in multiple players at a time. They dont just get deadset on one player per slot becuase there is a chance that they wont be around at that slot. If we have interest in White then we have interest in probably 5 more players for that slot and I doubt White is the favorite at 1:5 by Joe Jordan.

What do u need backed up? He was regarded as a top 5 pick because he was expected to have some power this year and improve upon last year. He has a good batting average yes, but where is this power? The power is to me what separated him the most. There arent very many powerful SS's in the league anymore, so he was supposed to be special. Now, he is showing no power, and still not much discipline at the plate which will need to improve. Im honestly gonna say that I know this year was a fluke bad year for him(to an extent) and that whatever team takes him will get good production, but to me he is too much of a question at #5 for us. Wouldnt be a bad pick I just would agree with it.....

He's got 3 HR, 16 doubles and 5 triples in 47 games. Drag that out over a 162 games, and he'd be on pace for about 11 HR, 50 doubles, and 18 triples. I could sleep well at night with that. Not to mention like I said, lots of doubles is a power indicator, and that 11HR could turn into 15-20 with some work. So really? No power?

We all just hyped him so much thinking he was jeebus in a baseball uniform, it's ok if he's not putting up Tulo's numbers right now, because Tulo didn't put up those numbers til later either. (By the way, Green is out hitting Tulo right now).

He's got 3 HR, 16 doubles and 5 triples in 47 games. Drag that out over a 162 games, and he'd be on pace for about 11 HR, 50 doubles, and 18 triples. I could sleep well at night with that. Not to mention like I said, lots of doubles is a power indicator, and that 11HR could turn into 15-20 with some work. So really? No power?

We all just hyped him so much thinking he was jeebus in a baseball uniform, it's ok if he's not putting up Tulo's numbers right now, because Tulo didn't put up those numbers til later either. (By the way, Green is out hitting Tulo right now).

Not really that great when you consider he's playing with a metal bat.

Not really that great when you consider he's playing with a metal bat.

He hit better in the Cod league with a wood bat, try again...

I just don't understand the need to bash a kid that really is no where near as bad as people are making him out to be. It's like they have to justify him being this horrible player so that they can accept that we are going to draft someone else so that we don't have a recurrence of JTrea and the Smoak thing last year.

He hit better in the Cod league with a wood bat, try again...

I just don't understand the need to bash a kid that really is no where near as bad as people are making him out to be. It's like they have to justify him being this horrible player so that they can accept that we are going to draft someone else so that we don't have a recurrence of JTrea and the Smoak thing last year.

Are people really saying the kid is worthless. I think the conversation has been more along the line as to whether anyone sees him as the third best prospect to the ninth best prospect.

Are people really saying the kid is worthless. I think the conversation has been more along the line as to whether anyone sees him as the third best prospect to the ninth best prospect.

I don't argue at all that he's somewhere towards the bottom of that group, what is killing me is that people are grasping at straws to show how he's not worthy of being picked at #5.

It'd be one thing if he was projected to go in the supplemental or tail end of the first and I was trying to sell you on taking him at #5, but I'm just saying people are blowing up the slightest flaws this kid has and making it look like people are crazy for considering it.

No one is talking about Crow's mechanics, White's inconsistency, Tate not being able to pick a sport, Turner's lack of a 3rd pitch, or Schepper's shoulder like they are picking apart Green. I just don't get it.

He isnt as bad as people are making him out to be. But, he has not met his lofty expectations and when this phenomenon occurs, it makes people over exagerate how bad a player he is. Kinda like when ARod doesnt perform in the clutch in NY, he doesnt meet Yankee fan's expectations. Sometimes the way people there boo ARod in NY, youd think he was Kei Igawa, but he isnt, he is their best player. We were all expecting something special from Green, and he did not meet what we were expecting, so many people were let down. We havent had a good homegrown short stop since you know who and many O's fans hwhere were hoping Green would explode this year like he was expected to and would maybe have a chance for us to draft and grow our next SS superstar. But it didnt happen, not saying he will never become a superstar, but at his first chance to step up and show what he is made of on the national stage, he in some ways failed. I really do not understand why we are arguing this. Its like saying if Matt Weiters played this whole year in the minors and hit 3 HR's but still had a .350 BA and had twice as many errors this year as last. Sorry to say it but people would be disappointed, as are many here with Green.

I don't argue at all that he's somewhere towards the bottom of that group, what is killing me is that people are grasping at straws to show how he's not worthy of being picked at #5.

It'd be one thing if he was projected to go in the supplemental or tail end of the first and I was trying to sell you on taking him at #5, but I'm just saying people are blowing up the slightest flaws this kid has and making it look like people are crazy for considering it.

No one is talking about Crow's mechanics, White's inconsistency, Tate not being able to pick a sport, Turner's lack of a 3rd pitch, or Schepper's shoulder like they are picking apart Green. I just don't get it.

This is because that no one here had a man crush on Crow or White or Scheppers before this year. If we did a poll before this season asking asside from Strasburg, who would be your favorite pick at 1:5, the majority of OHers would have picked Green. He was hyped as an elite talent predraft, which he still may be but isnt performing to that level. He just did not perform to expectations as I just said. And it isnt like we are the only ones who feel this way on Green, its what a good majority of folks feel. Im saying it again for probably the 3rd time, I have no bash on this kid, if we drafted him he would more than likely perform the way we originally thought he would, BUT we can not make any mistakes in this draft if we do not have to and drafting Grant Green pushes us closer to that threshold moreso than any other ball player close to our draft slot IMO. Sure Crow could get hurt, even if he had TJ surgery, you come back from that. If Grant Green's skill level isnt what it was originally thought to be, you can not fix that, it is what it is....all the training in the world can not teach u to hit 30 HR's a year.....

This is because that no one here had a man crush on Crow or White or Scheppers before this year. If we did a poll before this season asking asside from Strasburg, who would be your favorite pick at 1:5, the majority of OHers would have picked Green. He was hyped as an elite talent predraft, which he still may be but isnt performing to that level. He just did not perform to expectations as I just said. And it isnt like we are the only ones who feel this way on Green, its what a good majority of folks feel. Im saying it again for probably the 3rd time, I have no bash on this kid, if we drafted him he would more than likely perform the way we originally thought he would, BUT we can not make any mistakes in this draft if we do not have to and drafting Grant Green pushes us closer to that threshold moreso than any other ball player close to our draft slot IMO. Sure Crow could get hurt, even if he had TJ surgery, you come back from that. If Grant Green's skill level isnt what it was originally thought to be, you can not fix that, it is what it is....all the training in the world can not teach u to hit 30 HR's a year.....

I agree, I've been saying it all day that everyone just had preconceived notions and now are lashing out because he hasn't done what they wanted. There is nothing wrong with his skill set though, if that were the case he wouldn't be putting up the numbers that he is. Maybe it's just draft anticipation and nerves, maybe he's playing with a nagging injury (a slight back or shoulder injury would increase errors and lower HR totals), maybe he's just so focused on avg. that he's not hitting for power. I dunno. I just know that while not my choice at #5, it wouldn't be a Skipworth type reach.

I agree, I've been saying it all day that everyone just had preconceived notions and now are lashing out because he hasn't done what they wanted. There is nothing wrong with his skill set though, if that were the case he wouldn't be putting up the numbers that he is. Maybe it's just draft anticipation and nerves, maybe he's playing with a nagging injury (a slight back or shoulder injury would increase errors and lower HR totals), maybe he's just so focused on avg. that he's not hitting for power. I dunno. I just know that while not my choice at #5, it wouldn't be a Skipworth type reach.

I hear you, I guess we are in the same boat then. Hes not my choice, but i wouldnt be mad if we took him. But tell me this, who would be your choice at 1:5?

I hear you, I guess we are in the same boat then. Hes not my choice, but i wouldnt be mad if we took him. But tell me this, who would be your choice at 1:5?

Depends on who goes 2, 3 and 4, but I'd go Ackley, Matzek, Purke, Crow in that order and I'm still thinking about Green. I want to see how the rest of the season goes.

Its also crazy that Ackley and Green have a pretty similar batting average yet Ackley is labeled as having a "successful" season and Green has been labeled as a disapointment. I believe that when its all said and done, Green will be atleast as good as Ackley with Green having more power and Ackley having better patience at the plate. I would go as far to say that Green has a higher ceiling while at the same time also a lower floor.....

Its also crazy that Ackley and Green have a pretty similar batting average yet Ackley is labeled as having a "successful" season and Green has been labeled as a disapointment. I believe that when its all said and done, Green will be atleast as good as Ackley with Green having more power and Ackley having better patience at the plate. I would go as far to say that Green has a higher ceiling while at the same time also a lower floor.....

It's like we said, as much as he was hyped around here, anything short of 25 HR and a .350 average was going to get him ragged on. He'll be fine, it's just that question of will those other pitchers out there be better than fine? I'm ok with taking the gamble on him, but I'd prefer going for Matzek or Purke if Ackley is off the board. Just like last year I was fine with Matusz, but I preferred Smoak.

Archived