5/17 - O's at KC Royals - Koji for the rubber?

bobmc

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, it is tough to say, I guess. I always feel though, when a guy with good power is at the plate, a ball that could be caught is going to go over his head. Its probably my own paranoia, but I feel like that ball there could have been caught with better positioning.

Any ball that stays in the park can be caught with the right positioning. You just have to know where it's going to be hit. Another example of poor O's fundamentals, not knowing ahead of the time, where the ball will be hit.:rolleyestf:

Any ball that stays in the park can be caught with the right positioning. You just have to know where it's going to be hit. Another example of poor O's fundamentals, not knowing ahead of the time, where the ball will be hit.:rolleyestf:

Excellent job misinterpreting what I was saying. I was saying *in my opinion* which, I suppose I am entitled to, he plays too shallow. If he's playing back, even a bit, he probably gets to that ball. I also feel Jones plays too shallow at times, they both have great speed, but when a guy has great line drive power, you should realize that maybe you should adjust to that for a little bit.

Its bothers me to watch balls fly over the CF's head and hit the ground before the warning track, its my own pet peeve. :rolleyestf:

Excellent job misinterpreting what I was saying. I was saying *in my opinion* which, I suppose I am entitled to, he plays too shallow. If he's playing back, even a bit, he probably gets to that ball. I also feel Jones plays too shallow at times, they both have great speed, but when a guy has great line drive power, you should realize that maybe you should adjust to that for a little bit.

Its bothers me to watch balls fly over the CF's head and hit the ground before the warning track, its my own pet peeve. :rolleyestf:

And a lot of people share this opinion, i've heard it said many times this year.

Don't worry, El Gordo just sees it as unfathomable that the O's do anything wrong.

The trick is to play as shallow as possible but still deep enough that they can't hit it over your head. That's what Blair was about perfect at, but nobody's like him, he had supernatural abilities to know where the ball was going. With AJ and Pie, they gotta figure it out, it's an experience thing.

However, even when they get that right, there will still be balls in the alley that they can't get to. This ball was not over his head, it was out of his reach going to the side. That's where it gets hard to know where you want him to be standing, because it's not as simple as "can they hit it over his head", it's a matter of the trade off between hitting the wall in the alley vs. CF being able to turn a lot of honest-singles into outs. Not sure how you decide about that.

Archived