48. Carlos Zambrano, Cubs

49. Cole Hamels, Phillies

50. Brian McCann, Braves

http://masnsports.com/2009/05/todays-best-players.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Jeter is #8.

That's all the information needed to know that the list is bogus. Whatever other players are correctly ranked are completely negated by a list saying that Derek Jeter is the 8th best player in the sport. He's not the 8th best player on the Yankees.

Derek Jeter is #8.

That's all the information needed to know that the list is bogus. Whatever other players are correctly ranked are completely negated by a list saying that Derek Jeter is the 8th best player in the sport. He's not the 8th best player on the Yankees.

No, no, but see you don't understand. It's the intangibles he brings to the table. The Captain does the little things at the right moments to catapult his team to victory! :rolleyes: Those things can't be measured by stats. Only a very well-trained baseball-watcher can appreciate the true greatness of Savior Jeter. :rolleyes:

Derek Jeter is #8.

I just shook my head and clicked back on the browser when I saw that. Hilarious.

I am sorry but I take this as a slight on the Orioles more so than on Markakis. If he played on say the Red Sox or even the Rays, you know he makes the list. The Orioles are just not that relevant to a majority of people polled.

Am I the only one who doesn't care in the least?

Intelligent fans (and more importantly, analysts) - and opposing managers - know the score.

Is there a more irrelevant data source than "ex-players"?

While I agree with you in principle, this was a survey of Hall of Fame players! So they DO get some credibility for that.

Was this done before the season? It would make much more sense if so. Berkman, Jeter, Webb, among others wouldn't be as high if it were taken last week in my opinion. I've always been a Jeter fan, but even I admit he's nowhere close to one of the 50 best in the game at this point of his career.

But like many have said, it matters very little what these rankings say. Once the Orioles contend again, guys like Nick and Adam will get their due. it's already started on some levels, but just not here. No biggie.

It's actually not that bad of a list. The only Oriole that belongs in there at this point is Markakis, who I would have put in over Jeter, Beckett, Reyes, Cabrera, and Oswalt (maybe a couple others).

After this year Jones may belong.

But other than those two there is nobody that belongs. We're all potential right now.

Archived