No O's in the Sporting News' list of today's 50 best players

ChaosLex

While I agree with you in principle, this was a survey of Hall of Fame players! So they DO get some credibility for that.

Eh. Not really. Not from me, at least. If anything, it's increasingly doubtful, the older they get, that they watch enough of all teams to really know what they're talking about.

If anything, the fact that they should know, and helped fashion such a craptacular list, is evidence of my point. It's irrelevant.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eh. Not really. Not from me, at least. If anything, it's increasingly doubtful, the older they get, that they watch enough of all teams to really know what they're talking about.

If anything, the fact that they should know, and helped fashion such a craptacular list, is evidence of my point. It's irrelevant.

No kidding.

Also, the older they get, the more useless contemporary players become in their eyes.

If this was actually HoF players, that would explain a lot.

I don't know whether they're ranking the 50 best players in baseball today, or the most valuable going forward, but this...

20. Evan Longoria, Rays

...tells you all you need to know about the list and the people who put it together.

He should be higher? Lower?

That seems about right for Longoria, maybe higher if he ends up as a 40 HR guy.

Like any poll of managers and ex-players, there's a lot of reputation on that list rather than the actual 50 best players. Either way ***yawn ***

Yeah, good point. That explains Jeter being so high. Markakis time will come, he'll be on this list one year from now. No doubt in my mind.

Whatever other players are correctly ranked are completely negated by a list saying that Derek Jeter is the 8th best player in the sport.

He's not the 8th best player on the Yankees.

I actually like Jeter, but I wholeheartedly agree with both of these statements.

Derek Jeter is #8.

That's all the information needed to know that the list is bogus. Whatever other players are correctly ranked are completely negated by a list saying that Derek Jeter is the 8th best player in the sport. He's not the 8th best player on the Yankees.

As much as I despise the Yankees I don't see how you can diss Jeter. He has a life time BA over 300, and I believe is among the top three all-time Yankees in hits ahead of Gehrig and behind only Ruth or vice versa. So if you look at his overall career it is HOF quality so that certainly is not ranking him to highly.

It is sad that no current Oriole is good enough to make the top 50 but sorry, I have to say none yet belong there. Jones and Markakis both have a ways to go yet IMHO, not to say they won't make it some day soon.

As much as I despise the Yankees I don't see how you can diss Jeter. He has a life time BA over 300, and I believe is among the top three all-time Yankees in hits ahead of Gehrig and behind only Ruth or vice versa. So if you look at his overall career it is HOF quality so that certainly is not ranking him to highly.

It is sad that no current Oriole is good enough to make the top 50 but sorry, I have to say none yet belong there. Jones and Markakis both have a ways to go yet IMHO, not to say they won't make it some day soon.

I wouldn't say he's dissing Jeter, and all of the things you write are 100% true, but in 2009 I'd agree with Mackus that he doesn't belong.

Jeter is a sure fire first ballot HOF'er, deservedly so, but in 2009 he isn't one of the 50 best players.

I wouldn't say he's dissing Jeter, and all of the things you write are 100% true, but in 2009 I'd agree with Mackus that he doesn't belong.

Jeter is a sure fire first ballot HOF'er, deservedly so, but in 2009 he isn't one of the 50 best players.

I disagree. That would be like saying Cal's last two or three years he wasn't among the top 50 players.

I disagree. That would be like saying Cal's last two or three years he wasn't among the top 50 players.

He wasn't among the top 50 in 2001. I love Jeter, and will defend him to the death on the board, but saying he's one of the 50 best players in the game right now is wrong in my opinion.

His career will end up one of the 50 best of this generation, but I don't think he qualifies in 2009. Agree to disagree I guess.

His career will end up one of the 50 best of this generation, but I don't think he qualifies in 2009.
Bingo.

Jeter is a fantastic, no-doubt-about-it Hall of Famer.

He also is now average at best as a SS. I'll repeat that I don't think he's the 8th best player on the Yankees (although that was an attempt at hyperbole originally, I think its probably pretty accurate). I don't know if he'd make a list of the top 150 or best players still in the game at this point.

Archived