No O's in the Sporting News' list of today's 50 best players

ChaosLex

Bingo.

Jeter is a fantastic, no-doubt-about-it Hall of Famer.

He also is now average at best as a SS. I'll repeat that I don't think he's the 8th best player on the Yankees (although that was an attempt at hyperbole originally, I think its probably pretty accurate). I don't know if he'd make a list of the top 150 or best players still in the game at this point.

A Rod

Tex

CC

Rivera

Burnett

Damon

Cano

Joba

Jeter?

You may be right about his status on the Yankees right now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Rod

Tex

CC

Rivera

Burnett

Damon

Cano

Joba

Jeter?

You may be right about his status on the Yankees right now.

Could make a case for Swisher and Posada as well, maybe. Although I do think its very possible that Jeter has a better season when its all over (offensively at least) than guys like Cano, Damon, Posada, and Swisher.

Its obvious that he's not one of the top 50 players in baseball though. And he certainly isn't #8, anyone who thinks that is absolutely clueless.

I disagree. That would be like saying Cal's last two or three years he wasn't among the top 50 players.

You're looking at it in the context of his career and with that criteria you are correct.

Others, including the Sporting News list, are looking at it in terms of just this season.

Could make a case for Swisher and Posada as well, maybe. Although I do think its very possible that Jeter has a better season when its all over (offensively at least) than guys like Cano, Damon, Posada, and Swisher.

Its obvious that he's not one of the top 50 players in baseball though. And he certainly isn't #8, anyone who thinks that is absolutely clueless.

Yea, I think his season will end up better than both Swisher and Posada, but you could be right. Definitely not top 8 in Baseball nowadays.

I disagree. That would be like saying Cal's last two or three years he wasn't among the top 50 players.

Well, that is the problem here. The criteria are not clear at all. Is this the 50 players who have had the best careers? Who will have the best careers? Who are the best at this particular moment?

Jeter's certainly in the top 50 if we're talking about his career. And he's certainly not if we're talking about his abilities now.

It seems to me like an odd mishmash of a list, where nobody really explained what criteria were being used to the voters. But, I can't say it's that terrible a list. You can certainly argue that Markakis belongs there, but it's not like there aren't good arguments for these 50.

Well, that is the problem here. The criteria are not clear at all. Is this the 50 players who have had the best careers? Who will have the best careers? Who are the best at this particular moment?

Jeter's certainly in the top 50 if we're talking about his career. And he's certainly not if we're talking about his abilities now.

It seems to me like an odd mishmash of a list, where nobody really explained what criteria were being used to the voters. But, I can't say it's that terrible a list. You can certainly argue that Markakis belongs there, but it's not like there aren't good arguments for these 50.

Exactly my point. The more I look at the list, it had to be made before the season began.

He should be higher? Lower?

That seems about right for Longoria, maybe higher if he ends up as a 40 HR guy.

Higher, whether you're talking present effectiveness or future value. He would be in my top 5 of players I would want to have on my team, today and for the next 10 years.

Higher, whether you're talking present effectiveness or future value. He would be in my top 5 of players I would want to have on my team, today and for the next 10 years.

Agree on this one. Longoria is terrific, and only going to get better. Great bat, great glove, great future.

The Sporting News has not been relevant since the Spink family sold it years ago. This list is a perfect example why.

Yeah. I was about to say this thread should be renamed "Sporting News remains irrelevant."

Jeter at 8 is overshadowing Mariano at 9. That's wacky too.

I actually took a good look at Rivera's numbers after I read this list. He's been really, really good, for a really, really long time, and was just as good last year. That being said, he's 39 years old!

Some folks just don't get greatness. Anyone who had watched that final allstar game knows that Cal was still in the top 50 even at the end. Cal did it when it counted.:rolleyestf:

The Sporting News has not been relevant since the Spink family sold it years ago. This list is a perfect example why.
Yeah. I was about to say this thread should be renamed "Sporting News remains irrelevant."

Strange that the Sporting News was the go-to publication for baseball for about a century. Their awards used to have almost as much clout as the BBWAA stuff. In the 80s they were one of the very few places you could get information on the minors.

But somewhere around 1990 they dropped all the minor league stuff, cut back the baseball coverage, added a bunch of color pictures, and instantly went to crap. I don't know how they're still in business, I'm guessing they won't be for long. Maybe NFL people read them or something.

Archived