Promotion Watch List

tywright

Maybe add Rowell to the list. If he begins to tear it up then he may get a promotion sometime in the 2nd half of the season (probably towards the end of the season). He's played in Frederick for one year already so I think the hesitancy to move him up if he is tearing the ball is lessened.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone (or multiple someones) needs to go to Norfolk. They're running out of starters.

I was just thinking that. Patton? Makes sense espcially considering Stockstill's earlier comments mentioning they see him as simply needing to log innings, and they're not overly concerned where. Think that if he continues his success he'll see baltimore before hte season is out. Don't have a link to the Stockstill quote, but I do remember reading that somewhere.

Also, wouldn't be surprised to see Arrieta moved up to Norfolk soon as well.

Out of all the guys that haven't been promoted yet from this discussion, the one that most puzzles me is Joe Esposito. I'm not sure what else he has to prove as a 24-yo striking out 2 batters an inning at low-A ball. Esposito seems like he could be another late bloomer ala Hoey or McCrory or Chris Britton, though I hope the end result for him is better than what it has been for those guys.

Liz actually started today's game, after they said he was being converted to reliever. If that plan hasn't changed they clearly need to do something soon.

I imagine it will wind up being Pauley, Tillman, Waters, Patton, and Mitchell.

Here's a list of promotions so far this season:

Melvin Dorta, SS (Bowie to Norfolk)

John Mariotti, SP (Frederick to Bowie)

Nathan Nery, SP (Delmarva to Frederick)

Ryan Ouellette, RP (Frederick to Bowie)

Bobby Livingston, SP (Bowie to Norfolk)

Pat Egan, RP (Delmarva to Bowie)

Jedidiah Stephen, 2B (Delmarva to Frederick)

Garabez Rosa, SS (06 Int'l signing to Delmarva)

Travis Keating, RP (08 draft pick to Delmarva)

Rodolfo Cardona, 2B (Frederick to Bowie)

You can also add:

Bobby Stevens (Extended Spring to Frederick)

Andy Barb (Extended Spring to Frederick)

Jake Stevens (Extended Spring to Frederick)

Robbie Widlansky (Extended Spring to Frederick)

Matt Tucker (Extended Spring to Frederick)

For those people who are looking for Tillman to be promoted sometime soon, I did some research I haven't seen elsewhere on this site that may show where MacPhail is coming from.

As of today, I counted a total of 71 pitchers on the Orioles' five active teams, including players on the various disabled lists. I was really surprised to see that Chris Tillman is the youngest player among those 71 players. Therefore, I would be shocked to see him any time before September, and surprised to see him even then.

The youngest players on current rosters are:

Name/DOB

Tillman-4/15/88

Erbe-12/25/87

Britton-12/22/87

Butler-11/18/87 (This surprised me as well!)

Matusz-2/11/87

Drake-1/13/87

All other pitchers were born in 1986 or earlier.

For those people who are looking for Tillman to be promoted sometime soon, I did some research I haven't seen elsewhere on this site that may show where MacPhail is coming from.

As of today, I counted a total of 71 pitchers on the Orioles' five active teams, including players on the various disabled lists. I was really surprised to see that Chris Tillman is the youngest player among those 71 players. Therefore, I would be shocked to see him any time before September, and surprised to see him even then.

The youngest players on current rosters are:

Name/DOB

Tillman-4/15/88

Erbe-12/25/87

Britton-12/22/87

Butler-11/18/87 (This surprised me as well!)

Matusz-2/11/87

Drake-1/13/87

All other pitchers were born in 1986 or earlier.

Reaching AAA at such a young age is a reflection of why he is so highly ranked. But I don't see why his youth prevents a promotion - only his development does. To me Tillman's main task is to throw 6+ IP with regularity. Once he is able to do that, he's ready.

Archived