There is absolutely no way Crow is asking for too much money again this year. He can not so another year unsigned or he will be seriously risking his career, you cannot go that long w/o facing serious competition for your development.

Its kind of like the real life sob story turned psychology experiment with the"wildchild" girl Jeanie who never learned to talk because she was chained to her toilet by her parents, by the time her parents got caught, she was 15 and by that time she was way past that stage where a human can learn to talk.(Dont remember what that period is called) Any time past that age, the brain doesnt soak it in and learn to speak language as easily, and the girl never learned the English language all the way, her development was hindered, as will be Crows if he doesnt sign......see the parallel? :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to see what kind of cash we'll have to deal out at 1:5. Crow doesn't have any leverage, and I can't see him wanting to sit out another year due to a contract controversy. I would think that he would sign for slot, or his number will at least be in that vicinity. Same goes for Scheppers. Due to his injury history, I see him as a pretty painless signing at close to or at slot. I love Jordan's over-slot approach so hopefully with our pick in the first round we get good value that won't handcuff our entire allotment for the draft.

The only Boras clients that we could deal with at 1:5 are Ackley, Green, and Turner, correct? Or are there more, I'm not really sure.

With ten days to go...

1. Washington Nationals... Stephen Strasburg

2. Seattle Mariners... Dustin Ackley

3. San Diego Padres... Aaron Crow

4. Pittsburgh Pirates... Tyler Matzek

5. Baltimore Orioles... Zack Wheeler

6. San Francisco Giants... Grant Green

7. Atlanta Braves... Shelby Miller

8. Cincinnati Reds... Kyle Gibson

9. Detroit Tigers... Alex White

10. Washington Nationals... Tanner Scheppers

1. Washington Nationals: Strasburg

2. Seattle Mariners: Ackley

3. San Diego Padres: White

4. Pittsburgh Pirates: Matzek

5. Baltimore Orioles: Crow

6. San Francisco Giants: Tate

7. Atlanta Braves: Wheeler

8. Cincinnati Reds: Scheppers

9. Detroit Tigers: Green

10. Washington Nationals: Gibson

With six days to go... choices subject to change. ;)

5. Baltimore Orioles... Shelby Miller

7. Atlanta Braves... Zack Wheeler

8. Cincinnati Reds... Alex White

9. Detroit Tigers... Bobby Borchering

10. Washington Nationals... Mike Leake

With six days to go... choices subject to change. ;)

5. Baltimore Orioles... Shelby Miller

7. Atlanta Braves... Zack Wheeler

9. Detroit Tigers... Bobby Borchering

10. Washington Nationals... Mike Leake

Miller!? First time I've seen anyone link him to us. :scratchchinhmm:

What's your thoughts on him, Greg?

Miller!? First time I've seen anyone link him to us. :scratchchinhmm:

What's your thoughts on him, Greg?

Miller has as much potential as anyone, besides perhaps Strasburg. He has serious, serious upside, and with Matzek and Crow gone (in my mock) Miller would be a great talent to pick up. A mid/upper 90's fastball and potentially plus curve, coupled with a great work ethic and excellent build, has Miller -in my view- the best of the remaining pitching prospects. He needs to develop a change, but Miller has the right attitude towards instruction, and the determination to be the best.

My feeling (and most others) at this juncture is that Strasburg and Ackley will go 1-2, but I'd be pleased with Crow/Matzek/Green or Miller at #5. Whomever we select should be an outstanding young talent, that seems certain.

For clarification, my personal preferences are as such...

Strasburg

Ackley

Matzek

Crow

Green

Miller

Turner

Wheeler

Leake

Borchering

Miller has as much potential as anyone, besides perhaps Strasburg. He has serious, serious upside, and with Matzek and Crow gone (in my mock) Miller would be a great talent to pick up. A mid/upper 90's fastball and potentially plus curve, coupled with a great work ethic and excellent build, has Miller -in my view- the best of the remaining pitching prospects. He needs to develop a change, but Miller has the right attitude towards instruction, and the determination to be the best.

My feeling (and most others) at this juncture is that Strasburg and Ackley will go 1-2, but I'd be pleased with Crow/Matzek/Green or Miller at #5. Whomever we select should be an outstanding young talent, that seems certain.

Yep, Miller is the best prep RHP in the draft.

With just two days to go... My best guess as to the actual Top 10 choices:

5. Baltimore Orioles... Zack Wheeler- Hearing that he's paid us a visit (Alex White as well) is as indicator of real interest.

7. Atlanta Braves... Jacob Turner

9. Detroit Tigers... Donovan Tate

10. Washington Nationals... Bobby Borchering

That's possible, but there's a decent chance he will be... with such uncertainty at 2-4, why not have him in? :)

That's a fair question. In year's past it seemed like the public had a much better idea of who would go where at the top of the draft. I just wonder how much these guys talk.

Would Seattle tell Baltimore they're targeting a guy like Matzek? If they trust that the O's wouldn't tamper in their negotiations (e.g., start making salary promises so Matzek can publicly increase his price and scare off other teams), there's not a ton of downside in telling each other what you think. With so many players, I would think that some of these people do share thoughts/opinions.

I admit, this is pure speculation.

1. Washington Nationals-Strasburg

2. Seattle Mariners-Crow

3. San Diego Padres-Scheppers

4. Pittsburgh Pirates-Matzek

5. Baltimore Orioles-Ackley

6. San Francisco Giants-T. Wheeler

7. Atlanta Braves-Z. Wheeler

8. Cincinnati Reds-Miller

9. Detroit Tigers-Turner

10. Washington Nationals-White

I dont think anybody believes it, but Ackley is gonna be this years Matt Wieters. He is gonna fall because no one wants to pay him.

1. Washington Nationals-Strasburg

2. Seattle Mariners-Crow

3. San Diego Padres-Scheppers

4. Pittsburgh Pirates-Matzek

5. Baltimore Orioles-Ackley

6. San Francisco Giants-T. Wheeler

7. Atlanta Braves-Z. Wheeler

8. Cincinnati Reds-Miller

9. Detroit Tigers-Turner

10. Washington Nationals-White

I dont think anybody believes it, but Ackley is gonna be this years Matt Wieters. He is gonna fall because no one wants to pay him.

If he's asking for Matt Wieters money then no one should pay him.

Archived