Things are starting to get ugly

Diehard_O's_Fan

This happens every year at the same time like clockwork.

1. The Orioles start decently

2. Someone starts a "maybe this is the year thead"

3. The starters begin to falter because of lack of talent/ Eatons-Chens-Ortizs

4. The bullpen arms start to get tired and they start losing games late from over use

5. The manager says the starters need to go deeper in games

6. The bullpen continues to struggle....

7. Someone starts an apocalypse thread saying the team will never amount to anything. (THIS THREAD)

8. The offense dips in production. Usually because Mora goes on the DL (he got that out of the way early this year)

9. Someone starts a fire Crow thread/ fire the manager thread/ "How long do you give AM thread"

10. Everyone rebounds but the O's remain inconsistent trending towards another okay but decent season...

11. August 1st: AKA The start of the Orioles offseason...or so they think. Too bad everyone else in the AL east is playing for the playoffs.

Except for some reason we all seemed to skip items #1 and 2 this season.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This happens every year at the same time like clockwork.

1. The Orioles start decently

2. Someone starts a "maybe this is the year thead"

3. The starters begin to falter because of lack of talent/ Eatons-Chens-Ortizs

4. The bullpen arms start to get tired and they start losing games late from over use

5. The manager says the starters need to go deeper in games

6. The bullpen continues to struggle....

7. Someone starts an apocalypse thread saying the team will never amount to anything. (THIS THREAD)

8. The offense dips in production. Usually because Mora goes on the DL (he got that out of the way early this year)

9. Someone starts a fire Crow thread/ fire the manager thread/ "How long do you give AM thread"

10. Everyone rebounds but the O's remain inconsistent trending towards another okay but decent season...

11. August 1st: AKA The start of the Orioles offseason...or so they think. Too bad everyone else in the AL east is playing for the playoffs.

It seems like we are a month or two ahead of schedule this year though.

It is not even June yet and things are starting to get ugly.

In case you just dropped by, everybody knew the early part of the season would likely be ugly. There's no surprise about this. It's a calculated cost in exchange for long term benefit.

In case you just dropped by, everybody knew the early part of the season would likely be ugly. There's no surprise about this. It's a calculated cost in exchange for long term benefit.

I thought Ray, Johnson and Sherrill would be more dependable. Those guys are keepers and not really variables in the context of upcoming roster changes.

I was hoping Guts would get a little better, even though a manage my expectations knowing that he's a waiver claim.

I was hoping that Zaun would prove to be a boon to the pitching staff after we scapegoated Ramon somewhat (yeah, I know we were clearing the way for MW, but they wanted him gone regardless).

I expected a little more from Wiggy, even against righties.

Just got back from the game and there wasn't much to be proud of tonight.

Let's see...

1) B-Rob stealing 2nd, and then stopping cold instead of running it out and sliding into 2nd. Gets caught in a run-down.

2) Markakis taking the 3rd strike with runners on 1st and 3rd.

3) Mora running for 2nd base and getting thrown out by Damon ONLY because he decides to leisurely trot to 2nd base.

4) Andino tossing softly to home plate on the Damon advance to home -- nevermind Damon was running slowly towards home plate.

This goes beyond fundamentals, there is something VERY wrong with this team. One night they play like champions and the next like a AA club. I don't know what's going on here, but they are not playing to win and it doesn't matter how "good" the Yankees are, we could have made a much better showing tonight than we did.

I am seriously wondering if DT talks a good game but then has no idea how to translate that into a winning spirit. What happens if the "calvary" comes and plays listlessly and dead like this team has been for the last few years?

What then? The FA route to winning?

I know I am not the only one who notices this, and I am not being negative but this was the first time I saw the Orioles live in 2009 and I was totally disgusted. Outside of Reimold hitting his first homer, this was one of the worst outings by a MLB club I have seen in almost 15 years.

Something HAS got to give soon. We need pitching ASAP. We need a big bat ASAP. We need a deeper bench ASAP. I don't know how we are going to make that happen, but it needs to happen now.

MSK

Normally I call this reactionary, but something is going on here. This team has been terrible fundamentally from a manager that was a career minor league manager, whose job it was to teach. I love Trembley, but I'm not loving the way this team is playing.

Normally I call this reactionary, but something is going on here. This team has been terrible fundamentally from a manager that was a career minor league manager, whose job it was to teach. I love Trembley, but I'm not loving the way this team is playing.

I am not being negative. I am not being reactionary. I saw this mess firsthand in Yankee Stadium tonight.

It was not pleasant to watch. We didn't lose because the MFYs were better per se, but because we didn't play them hard at all. It was like they wanted to get the game over so they could go back home.

I really don't understand any of this right now.

MSK

I am not being negative. I am not being reactionary. I saw this mess firsthand in Yankee Stadium tonight.

It was not pleasant to watch. We didn't lose because the MFYs were better per se, but because we didn't play them hard at all. It was like they wanted to get the game over so they could go back home.

I really don't understand any of this right now.

MSK

I didn't mean to call you reactionary. I really meant that threads like this, one night of bad baseball, I would call reactionary, however, it is happening way too often this year. My man crush on Trembley is long gone, I am starting to think we need a new voice, we need new leadership.

I didn't mean to call you reactionary. I really meant that threads like this, one night of bad baseball, I would call reactionary, however, it is happening way too often this year. My man crush on Trembley is long gone, I am starting to think we need a new voice, we need new leadership.

I believe there was a thread on this about a week ago, and its been the kind of night all-around that I don't feel like searching for it. I think Trembley is good for now. To get guys through the thick and thin. But he's not the kind of manager that knows the game of baseball well enough to make the right moves to get you to a World Series. He lasts this year and maybe next. Then it's time to proclaim we're back. IMO Trembley leaving at the end of next year and hiring a "flashy" manager, for lack of a better word, would announce that the Oriole's of the 70's and 80's are back for good. A new manager would be the last step of the rebuilding process. Sucks for Trem...but it's the way of the world.

What good is any manager when the team was basically told it's not about this year?

Players compete. Period. DT is in over his head and has been for a while. Accountability will catch up with dude soon. Because you can bet there is some questioning w/in the warehouse about exposing the calvary to this Losing culture.

Archived