Blue Jays' #1 Problem

DrungoHazewood

They're not bunting enough.

Nice. On a team full of rake-and-take sluggers who may have vaguely heard of the bunt once in Little League, many of whom are so slow they take the better part of an NFL halftime show to get from 2nd to 3rd, this guy is placing the blame for their offensive woes on not sacrificing enough. It's all John Gibbons' fault that he's not letting Frank Thomas walk and then order Lyle Overbay or Vernon Wells or somebody bunt him up to second.

I'm sure their problems having nothing to do with the fact they've given 11 players with a sub-100 OPS+ 50 or more plate appearances. Or that their starting shortstop and left fielder have sub-.290 OBPs. Or that they have their own Paul Bako clone in Jason Phillips.

It's all about the bunting. Isn't is always?

While in a macro sense, you're obviously right...if the lineup isn't hitting with power, should you throw the "no bunting" ideology out the window? In a macro sense, bunting is bad, but when the conditions on the ground aren't working how they "should" work (e.g. your power hitters are injured and/or aren't hitting for power), don't you have to change strategy?

(Insert lame Iraq analogy here.)

It's an interesting question.

While in a macro sense, you're obviously right...if the lineup isn't hitting with power, should you throw the "no bunting" ideology out the window? In a macro sense, bunting is bad, but when the conditions on the ground aren't working how they "should" work (e.g. your power hitters are injured and/or aren't hitting for power), don't you have to change strategy?

(Insert lame Iraq analogy here.)

It's an interesting question.

If the new strategy is attempting to bunt a 40-year-old Frank Thomas up a base I think I'd just wait for their hitting with RISP to regress to the mean.

I guess if he refuses to bunt in a tie game or when they're down by one run in the late innings and get a leadoff double I can see where the guy is coming from, but to base an article about the Jay's failing to contend around their lack of playing small ball is pretty silly. They weren't going to contend this year and I think everyone but JP Ricciardi knew it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Suárez has a nasty pitch mix going right now. He’s getting a ton of horizontal movement arm side on his fastball. A ton of horizontal movement arm side on his Change Up then he can throw the cutter for movement to glove side.  Enjoy the ride. Great for Suárez and the team.  It’s a good problem to have. We could see Akin/Tate optioned with Ramirez/Baumann DFA’d if be. Wells also can be optioned.  In the next 10-14 days we could see, Bradish up. Tate to AAA. Means up. Akin to AAA. Wells up. Ramirez DFA SP - Burnes, GR, Bradish, Kremer, Suarez BP - Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Webb, Baumann, Wells, Irvin, Means If everyone is healthy. We may have to see this because of options. 
    • The last thing you said here is really the key for me. Holliday makes us much better when he is playing where you think he can. So, how does he get better? I said it a little tongue and cheek but it’s true..if his flaw right now is hitting ML pitching, how does he fix that playing in the minors? If there something technically flawed about his swing?  Yea, he’s pulling off the ball, ok fine. That can’t be corrected in the majors?  The leg kick?  Maybe. It’s not like we haven’t seen hitters with high leg kicks be successful.    But let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that the leg kick is the issue. Do we want him in AAA working on that or do we want him up here? The Os are one of many teams now that are going to coaches that weren’t necessarily ML players but they are more mechanics coaches. They are like driveline guys now. The duo the Os have up here are like that.  They also have those guys in the minors. So, where is he getting the better instruction? I don’t know. I can’t say and that’s where I trust Elias. Like I said, he gets this week and really, more than that for me but I think this week he should get and then you can at least make some decision with more of a sample size. I feel if he goes down, it must be because you feel there is a major change that needs to occur and you want him to do that in a lower pressure environment. I’m not worried about hurting his confidence or anything like that.  If he becomes a failure because of this struggle than he wasn’t going to become anything anyway.  
    • They are going to hide him on the bench so he can’t do too much before Hays is ready to return.
    • They are going to have to play lefty on lefty (at least for a while).
    • I’m not defending Holliday’s performance thus far. I think he would admit that has been very bad. What I was speaking to is the unrealistic expectations that many fans seem to have for these young players when they arrive. The facts are just about all of them struggle (albeit Holliday has been the worst). I actually like the idea of calling Kerjstad up. We can ease him in to things so to speak and give him a looksie over an extended period of time before deciding what to do with Santander after this year. However, with his arrival at the club, it probably means no more strict platoon, matchup baseball any more, as 3 of our OFs are LHH. I am fine with this as I believe top prospect should not be used as platoon ball players. They need reps (like Gunnar and now Westburg is getting) against same sided pitching. IMO platoons should be reserved for lesser talented ball players to take advantage of a specific skill set (like O’Hearn or Mateo for that matter).
    • You’re right.  Cowser had a .375 OBP in his first 32 PA, unlike Holliday’s .094.  They’re not at all comparable.  
    • Yeah I was thinking this might be good for both the team and Hays. Chance for him to press the reset button if nothing else. 
  • Popular Contributors