Nolan Reimold

Frobby

How great is it when at the beginning of the year we can say if Pie works out, we will have one of the best outfields in the league and when he doesn't, we can bring Reimold up and say we are going to have one of the best outfields in the league?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has looked pretty damn good in the field so far. Strong arm with his speed is a good combination for a LFer. Sounds like he has a good work ethic...so he can improve on his routes.

Maybe he feels more comfortable in LF as oppose to RF.

This very well may be the case. Left Field is regarded as being the easiest of the outfield positions and Reimold may just find he fits better there.

This very well may be the case. Left Field is regarded as being the easiest of the outfield positions and Reimold may just find he fits better there.

And LF in Camden yards is probably the easiest in all of baseball. Especially with Jones in CF.

How great is it when at the beginning of the year we can say if Pie works out, we will have one of the best outfields in the league and when he doesn't, we can bring Reimold up and say we are going to have one of the best outfields in the league?

It's almost as if I don't believe it. A feeling of confidence when it comes to the O's?

As it stands now I wouldn't trade our OF for anyone's.:mwahaha:

I think clarence was suggesting that Montanez learn first to just be a bit more versatile. I don't think it's a bad idea.

Exactly what I was suggesting. He seems like he's going to need some versatility moving forward and if he could play a few positions, kind of like Millar when he was younger, he is going to have a lot better chance to stick around in the big leagues for awhile. I'd love to see him on our bench for the next few years if he could handle an infield position. I think him spending some time taking balls at third would also greatly help his cause.

• 2 weeks later...
To build on your analsyis of Reimold's defense, I think from time to time we'll see "brain farts" from him in left field...over-throwing the cut-off man, double-clutching because he came up ready to throw into second base but the play is at third, the occasional double because he broke in on a ball that wound up over his head, etc. I'm not saying frequently, but enough to justify the opinions of his defensive instincts.

From Paul Folkemer's recap of last night's 1-0 Orioles win over the Mariners...

Hill’s evening got off to an inauspicious start when the first batter he faced, Ichiro Suzuki, lined an extra-base hit past left fielder Nolan Reimold. Reimold rushed to retrieve the ball from the fence, but inexplicably, he turned and fired to…second base. Nolan, my man, I know you’re fairly new to the big leagues, but surely you must know that Ichiro has mad speed. He‘d been standing on second base about two minutes before you made that throw. The O’s didn’t even have anyone covering the bag anymore. So when he saw the aimless throw coming in to the wrong base, Suzuki took off for third and made it standing up.

It's this kind of play that I was referencing whne I made my comment on Reimold last week. It's those defensive instincts that are lacking a little that I think will plague him through most of his career. Do other players throw to the wrong bag sometimes? You hate to see it, but yes it happens from time to time. I think we'll see things like this from Reimold more than we'd care to. Hopefully his offensive prowess is such that it makes it a fair trade off.

It's this kind of play that I was referencing whne I made my comment on Reimold last week. It's those defensive instincts that are lacking a little that I think will plague him through most of his career. Do other players throw to the wrong bag sometimes? You hate to see it, but yes it happens from time to time. I think we'll see things like this from Reimold more than we'd care to. Hopefully his offensive prowess is such that it makes it a fair trade off.

I think it was his 3rd at bat last night. But was already 2-2 on the night and had worked a 2-0 count against Washburn. You have to be thinking heat right? Nope, Washburn throws a TIGHT curve and Remiold hesistants and bloops it out to CF. Why not wait for the fastball. You only swing at the 2-0 curve/slider if it hangs in the zone...this was too good of a pitch to mess with. I know I'm being picky, but this struck me as one of those growing pains when dealing with a rookie.

He also took a terrible route to the ball. I think he ends up a above average LF though.

In reference to what Steve Melewski wrote about Reimold working hard, the night I spoke with Brian Matusz after Big Nole's bomb off Mariano Rivera he told me that there was no one that he has seen that worked out harder than Reimold.

After he launched that bomb off Rivera, it sealed it for me. We finally have an outfield that's good enough to rival 90% of the majors, if not more.

I don't think there's enough basis to jump to that conclusion. It was simply a rookie mistake by someone with very little experience playing LF. I think he'll be a solid LFer. He seems to get solid jumps on balls - except for balls hit right in front of him - which seems to be a problem for a lot of OFers.

I don't think there's enough basis to jump to that conclusion. It was simply a rookie mistake by someone with very little experience playing LF. I think he'll be a solid LFer. He seems to get solid jumps on balls - except for balls hit right in front of him - which seems to be a problem for a lot of OFers.

What are you talking about??? I didn't base that on one rookie mistake. I watched him in Bowie and saw the same thing. Tony's watched him since he came to the organization and made the same observation. It was an example that supports my conclusion on Reimold's defensive abilities. It was hardly me passing judgement on one play. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about??? I didn't base that on one rookie mistake. I watched him in Bowie and saw the same thing. Tony's watched him since he came to the organization and made the same observation. It was an example that supports my conclusion on Reimold's defensive abilities. It was hardly me passing judgement on one play. :rolleyes:

Oh calm down. Has he played much left field? Is he a rookie?

Have i nominated him for a gold glove?

Yeah, I'm not sure how you came up with the conclusion that Scott made his comments on one play. That would suggest he's making a reactionary post and I think that's disrespectful to Scott. Scott has viewed for himself as well read my scouting reports on Reimold and these plays are not extremely out of the ordinary.

Reimold has his strong points (hitting for power, ability have good at bats, decent speed, strong arm), but he has his lapses that fans and the team will just need to accept. Reimold is not a terrible fielder, just one that will have these mental lapses on the field occasionally.

Archived