Nolan Reimold

Frobby

Yeah, I'm not sure how you came up with the conclusion that Scott made his comments on one play. That would suggest he's making a reactionary post and I think that's disrespectful to Scott. Scott has viewed for himself as well read my scouting reports on Reimold and these plays are not extremely out of the ordinary.

Reimold has his strong points (hitting for power, ability have good at bats, decent speed, strong arm), but he has his lapses that fans and the team will just need to accept. Reimold is not a terrible fielder, just one that will have these mental lapses on the field occasionally.

Posts like this are the reason why I keep coming back to "read" (not posting as much these days but glad still to be a proud OH'er). Great perspectives. :)

I wonder if we can chalk his mental lapses up to "youth". Not to disparage "youth" in general or anything, but let's face it, he is still a youngster and probaly more prone to such lapses.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems some of the posters are chalking it up to “it happens to everyone, rookie mistake etc.” but I’m more inclined to side with the people who have seen this throughout his career and predicted these mistakes.

When Pie took a bad route or made a bad play the rational people said “it happens to everyone, inexperience in LF etc.” and in that instance it would be correct because he has a history of being a great outfielder.

If Nolan has shown over the years the tendency to do these things, it wouldn’t be wise to chalk it up to a rookie mistake.

With all that said I’d personally like to see more of him in LF before I settle on how good of a fielder I think he’s going to be. He’s got all the tools, hopefully he’ll put it together.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you came up with the conclusion that Scott made his comments on one play. That would suggest he's making a reactionary post and I think that's disrespectful to Scott. Scott has viewed for himself as well read my scouting reports on Reimold and these plays are not extremely out of the ordinary.

Reimold has his strong points (hitting for power, ability have good at bats, decent speed, strong arm), but he has his lapses that fans and the team will just need to accept. Reimold is not a terrible fielder, just one that will have these mental lapses in the field occasionally.

You two are either being way too sensitive, or you're reading something into my post that I didn't mean to imply. In my opinion... it's too early to conclude that he'll make those types of mistakes (throwing to second base when there's nobody covering and the runner's already there) throughout most of his career - because he's a rookie who has very little experience in LF.

You've got to explain to me how saying that opinion should ruffle anybody's feathers.

Oh calm down. Has he played much left field? Is he a rookie?

Have i nominated him for a gold glove?

You insinuated a rushed to judgement based on one play. I didn't. It's an observation I made (as did Tony) when Reimold was in the minors. You're free to pretend that his arrival to the big leagues makes those observations null and void, but I won't.

He's played enough outfield to draw the conclusion that he lacks the sharp baseball instincts that even guys with less athletic ability seem to develop. I'm not saying Reimold's a bust or even a liability. I personally think he'll be serviceable. I was just pointing out the play from last night as an example of what I observed of Reimold at the minor league level.

I didn't even say you suggested he's a gold glove candidate, so why don't you calm down a little?

Reimold has his strong points (hitting for power, ability have good at bats, decent speed, strong arm), but he has his lapses that fans and the team will just need to accept. Reimold is not a terrible fielder, just one that will have these mental lapses on the field occasionally.

To be fair, a RF (which he was must of his career) will throw to the same cut off man when going to 2b or 3b. I think Reimold knew Ichrio was running and after taken a bad route to the ball he tried to make up for it with a quick throw in. As a LF, he is going to have to get use to throwing towards 3b if a ball gets behind him no matter who is running.

To be fair, a RF (which he was must of his career) will throw to the same cut off man when going to 2b or 3b. I think Reimold knew Ichrio was running and after taken a bad route to the ball he tried to make up for it with a quick throw in. As a LF, he is going to have to get use to throwing towards 3b if a ball gets behind him no matter who is running.

I find it amusing that you continue to search for excuses for Reimold but dismiss them when it comes to Pie. :rofl:

You two are either being way too sensitive, or you're reading something into my post that I didn't mean to imply. In my opinion... it's too early to conclude that he'll make those types of mistakes (throwing to second base when there's nobody covering and the runner's already there) throughout most of his career - because he's a rookie who has very little experience in LF.

You've got to explain to me how saying that opinion should ruffle anybody's feathers.

And I'm saying that it's not too early to draw the conclusion. The slate doesn't get wiped clean because he got promoted from Norfolk. He's been playing the outfield as a professional since mid-way through the 2005 season, so he's got more than "very little" experience in LF.

And this is a forum for discussion. Sometimes feathers get a little ruffled when opinions are contradictory. It's all good. ;)

I find it amusing that you continue to search for excuses for Reimold but dismiss them when it comes to Pie. :rofl:

I find it amusing you took my post as an excuse. It was 2 terrible plays by Reimold. The only reason I felt I should comment was because Scott said he saw it throughout him minor leauge career. Reimold didn't play LF much in the minors.

And I'm saying that it's not too early to draw the conclusion. The slate doesn't get wiped clean because he got promoted from Norfolk. He's been playing the outfield as a professional since mid-way through the 2005 season, so he's got more than "very little" experience in LF.

And this is a forum for discussion. Sometimes feathers get a little ruffled when opinions are contradictory. It's all good. ;)

Reimold played 33 games in LF. And 25 of those game came this year in AAA.

You insinuated a rushed to judgement based on one play. I didn't. It's an observation I made (as did Tony) when Reimold was in the minors. You're free to pretend that his arrival to the big leagues makes those observations null and void, but I won't.

He's played enough outfield to draw the conclusion that he lacks the sharp baseball instincts that even guys with less athletic ability seem to develop. I'm not saying Reimold's a bust or even a liability. I personally think he'll be serviceable. I was just pointing out the play from last night as an example of what I observed of Reimold at the minor league level.

I didn't even say you suggested he's a gold glove candidate, so why don't you calm down a little?

What??????????????????????????????????? I'm not going to calm down now.

I simply gave my opinion!!! And it wasn't the same as your opinion. That's all I did. Nothing more.

If you want me to stop giving my opinions when they don't coincide with yours, I'll be more than happy to stop visiting here and go somewhere else.

Ya know yesterday, Mackus misinterpreted what I said. I pointed it out to him, and he showed class by immediately saying - Yeah, you're right. I read your post wrong. Well, I'm pointing out to you and Tony for the second time, you misinterpreted my post.

Reimold played 33 games in LF. And 25 of those game came this year in AAA.

Knowing the batter, knowing the runner(s) if applicable, and knowing where you're going with the ball based on when/where you pick it up is a universal concept.

Positioning, "first step", accuracy of throws, path to the ball, playing caroms, etc. are all position-specific.

Knowing the batter, knowing the runner(s) if applicable, and knowing where you're going with the ball based on when/where you pick it up is a universal concept.

Positioning, "first step", accuracy of throws, path to the ball, playing caroms, etc. are all position-specific.

It was the first play of the game. How many slow leadoff hitters are in the league? It is obvious Reimold knew who was running the bases. The ball got behind him because he made a bad route on the line drive. He then quickly ran to make up for the 1st bad play and then quickly threw the ball in without even looking (his 2nd mistake). And you know this because nobody was even covering 2nd base. It isn't like he thought there was a play at 2nd base.

Caroms, path to the balls, and positioning are completely different for LF and RF.

What??????????????????????????????????? I'm not going to calm down now.

I simply gave my opinion!!! And it wasn't the same as your opinion. That's all I did. Nothing more.

If you want me to stop giving my opinions when they don't coincide with yours, I'll be more than happy to stop visiting here and go somewhere else.

Ya know yesterday, Mackus misinterpreted what I said. I pointed it out to him, and he showed class by immediately saying - Yeah, you're right. I read your post wrong. Well, I'm pointing out to you and Tony for the second time, you misinterpreted my post.

Good lord! What are you getting all worked up over?!?! We're TALKING!!!

Your OPINION implied that I was rushing to judgement based on one play. I was explaining that my OPINION was based on WAY more than that one play.

I haven't misinterpreted ANYTHING that you said. And suggesting that I'm not open to opinions that don't coincide with mine here is beyond ridiculous. I'm faster than Curtis Granderson from first to home to jump up and admit I was wrong/over-reacted. I'm even faster to admit when I've had my mind changed or opinion swayed by someone here. More than a few people can vouch for that here.

However, feel free to pretend like anything I said was intended to somehow stifle your opinion. I'm trying to talk and explain, bro. When you're done with your whining and temper tantrum, it'd be awesome if you got back to doing the same thing.

You do have to remember that he isnt a lifetime LFer, pretty new to the position, but nonethe less, whether LF or RF, your instincts would tell you to throw to the cutoff standing lined up with 3rd, but at the same time, your entire team should be communicating with you yelling "THREE!" or "THIRD"! .....I didnt see the play so I cannot comment much further, but I do think he will be good for us out there and needs to be given a chance to acclimate himself with this new position. How long as he been in Left? Didnt he move last year?

Archived