I just have this feeling that Either SEA, SD, or PIT will snatch him up before he even gets to us. I know he has dropped a bit this season, but with this late surge, and with the lack of position players after Ackley, I could see us not even having a chance at him.

Is Green a Boras guy?

At the moment . . . to me, it looks like Green is going to Baltimore, Detroit, Washington, KC, or Oakland. Cincinatti also makes sense to me, but I figure they will go for a college pitcher.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless a position player is an absolute can't miss at #5, which it doesn't sound like Green is, I think you've got to go with pitching.

I agree.

One thing that scares me about Green is that if he can't stay at short, he doesn't have the offensive numbers to warrant such interest as a third baseman.

Unless a position player is an absolute can't miss at #5, which it doesn't sound like Green is, I think you've got to go with pitching.

It's not like any of the pitchers we'd be drafting are "can't miss." In fact if you're talking about HS guys like Matzek and Purke, they're even less of a sure thing.

So to be clear… again, you believe Green is worthy of a top 5 pick but I'm off in saying he should be the choice at 5?
I think what he is responding to is your certainty that he is the "best" pick or that he "must" be the pick. Any of 3-6 guys would be suitable picks at that spot. A different, valid argument can be made for each. There is no one "right" choice. There are several players whose selection would have to be considered a good move.

Its fine to prefer one player over another amongst two guys who are worthy of the pick, but its not fine to say the one player you prefer is the correct choice and the other is the wrong choice.

Like last year I preferred Smoak to Matusz, but still thought Matusz was a great pick. But then you had some wahoos saying that the Orioles made the clear wrong choice by choosing Matusz and not taking Smoak. One reaction is acceptable, the other is misplaced anger.

It's not like any of the pitchers we'd be drafting are "can't miss." In fact if you're talking about HS guys like Matzek and Purke, they're even less of a sure thing.

IMO Crow would be labeled a "can't miss" if it werent for Strasburg in this draft. Last year Crow was touted as the best college pitcher, even better than Matusz until a rough patch of starts. And even then some people prefered Crow. If Matusz was labeled a "safe" "cant miss" last year then IMO Crow is too. I guess its because Crow hasnt been pitching this whole college season, but if he did I believe Crow would be the #2 pick in the draft.

The dude can pitch, he is tearing up indy league so far this year, doing much better than Scheppers and has been improving with every outing. He has a plus fastball, plus slider and is working an atleast above average change which may become plus. Gimme the guy with 3 plus pitches and above average command who is said to have better raw stuff than Matusz.....

IMO Crow would be labeled a "can't miss" if it werent for Strasburg in this draft. Last year Crow was touted as the best college pitcher, even better than Matusz until a rough patch of starts. And even then some people prefered Crow. If Matusz was labeled a "safe" "cant miss" last year then IMO Crow is too. I guess its because Crow hasnt been pitching this whole college season, but if he did I believe Crow would be the #2 pick in the draft.

The dude can pitch, he is tearing up indy league so far this year, doing much better than Scheppers and has been improving with every outing. He has a plus fastball, plus slider and is working an atleast above average change which may become plus. Gimme the guy with 3 plus pitches and above average command who is said to have better raw stuff than Matusz.....

Crow would never be considered can't miss. He isn't that good and his mechanics are worse.

I have heard that Purke had red flags because he was so thin. If he doesnt grow into it, it may never be able to take on the workload of a starting pitcher....cant argue with his upside though....

I don't worry about a HSer who is too thin; they're rarely finished growing.

I don't worry about a HSer who is too thin; they're rarely finished growing.

Ya know after thinking about that, it doesnt make much sense. I guess you could also consider that to be projectability. I guess it depends who you ask, but if there worries about him being too thin to handle a ML workload, I wonder what scouts said of Randy Johnson when he was first coming up.....

I'd say no. Florimon may just be a flash in the pan. If I rated Green the same as Matzek or Purke as being completely equal in all senses of the word . . . I'd probably go with Green.

Why - because of need?

Crow would never be considered can't miss. He isn't that good and his mechanics are worse.

You shouldn't make things up. He's very good, his numbers show that he is very good. Now, if you want to say in your opinion, great. Just don't make things up.

Archived