I really disagree with that article/blog.....Too much emphasis on need rather than BPA as mentioned previously. It also basically discusses there that we have less room for error with our drafting since we dont have as much money to spend as the Yankees or Sox, so basically the writer is saying we should take a position player using that as the reasoning which I also disagree with.

If you think about it, it is much easier on the orioles financially to draft a 1st round pitcher invest 3 mill in him and him getting injured rather than us draft a position player and go the FA route to get that pitcher we never drafted, invest 50 million over 5 years and him get hurt the 1st year....talk about no room for error, that would be much more crippling....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really disagree with that article/blog.....Too much emphasis on need rather than BPA as mentioned previously. It also basically discusses there that we have less room for error with our drafting since we dont have as much money to spend as the Yankees or Sox, so basically the writer is saying we should take a position player using that as the reasoning which I also disagree with.

If you think about it, it is much easier on the orioles financially to draft a 1st round pitcher invest 3 mill in him and him getting injured rather than us draft a position player and go the FA route to get that pitcher we never drafted, invest 50 million over 5 years and him get hurt the 1st year....talk about no room for error, that would be much more crippling....

Not sure if you know, but pretty sure crstoner97 writes that blog as it is in his sig.

I think the premise is correct....If you are the Orioles and feel Green is a legit top 10 talent and you feel that he will stay at SS and be able to be up quickly, then you drafter him even if you have a pitcher or 2 rated slightly higher.

SS is a huge need for us and while I am not saying you draft for need, if you can fill a premium position with a guy you think he is a long term answer and you have him rated highly, then I feel you take that player.

Now, if the Orioles have questions about Green staying at SS or if they feel he is only a top 15 talent, then that's a different story.

Oh . . . I did not realize it was a naked refer. I thought maybe someone was linking crstoner's summary.

Watch out . . . OH does a wack a mole on that.

I linked it because the BA article was an insider article...Wanted to show the gist of the article in talking about his defense...The link and gist of the article was in that blog, so I linked it so people could see what i was talking about.

I think the premise is correct....If you are the Orioles and feel Green is a legit top 10 talent and you feel that he will stay at SS and be able to be up quickly, then you drafter him even if you have a pitcher or 2 rated slightly higher.

SS is a huge need for us and while I am not saying you draft for need, if you can fill a premium position with a guy you think he is a long term answer and you have him rated highly, then I feel you take that player.

Now, if the Orioles have questions about Green staying at SS or if they feel he is only a top 15 talent, then that's a different story.

I guess it depends on JJ and if he was sold on Green from the start. JJ is the kinda guy who probably fell in love with Green when he was having a monster Cape Cod League stint and in 08 when he had a pretty good college season. If JJ did, then there is no prying JJ away from him. Especially when Green was considered the #2 guy coming into the draft.

IMO if we take Green its because JJ thinks that Green is worthy of the second overall pick this year and just had a bad year (if that makes sense). Basically if JJ looks past this year and has already judged him and his skill based off of everything pre2009, then there is no doubt Jordan takes Green. But if JJ was looking for 2009 to be a big year for Green and that be the determining factor, then JJ will go elsewhere, but none the less JJ is a very impulsive kind of guy who isnt afraid to reach a bit to get "his guy".

Still think Scheppers and Crow would be better picks, but also may end up being Bryan Bullington........

I linked it because the BA article was an insider article...Wanted to show the gist of the article in talking about his defense...The link and gist of the article was in that blog, so I linked it so people could see what i was talking about.

I have been hit for that in the past. They really want you to provide enough content so that readers are not pulled off of this site.

Archived