Who would you take?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Ackley could slip to us if Seattle goes for one of the pitchers at the top of the board. I don't think the Pirates will take him. Just my opinion. If he's gone I would take Green. I don't think we are seeing the real Grant Green. Some of these players I think are doing things like the NFL players in the draft. It's no secret that some players do not want to play for a lousy team. The Orioles may have been looked at like that the past few years but the team is turning things around and I think players will want to come here again. It's just a hunch but I think Green is better than what he is showing people. The money he gets picked 5th is not that bad compared to being picked 3rd or 4th. Take Green if he's still there. He could go ahead of Ackley if a team needs a SS more than a 1B or OF. If Ackley and Green are both gone I think I would go with Crow or Gibson.

Agreed with this part, Ackley/Strasburg not mentioned due to assumptions they will be gone (fair assumptions).

I put these 5 names up and take whoever is there at five. Probably Green, Matzek and then Crow is how I'd rank them.

I must say I didn't know enough about Scheppers to gauge how I'd feel about him at 5. A cross between the giddiness of the call-ups this week and the fact that the big 3 haven't even come up yet, I have decided Crow is off my list. I'd rather take someone that has an ETA of 2-5 years to the bigs (hopefully less for Green or Ackley).

So my new official hope is one of Stras, Ackley, Green, Matzek, Scheppers.

He has not had a bad year. He didn't have the year that could have made him number #1 or #2 in this draft. Comments about him not having a lot of energy and where is the power are probably due to the shoulder injury. I don't think he wanted to force himself for fear he could injure himself again and maybe really slip down the board. We haven't seen the real Grant Green just like we didn't see the real Matt Albers earlier or Chris Ray who should have been in the minors working his way back slowly after his injury. Green had a shoulder injury. This affects your throwing and swinging the bat as you know and obviously would affect your power. Should he have been sitting? Played sparingly? I don't know but I think he is better than he has shown in 09. We need a SS down the road and taking him would allow us to nurse him along at AA and AAA for a couple of years and bring him up in 2011 or 2012. I do believe some of these top players are concerned with where they are going to play and for obvious reasons. Crow didn't sign with the Nationals because he didn't like D.C. If he was money hungry he would have signed last year. He obviously has enough belief in his talent he could afford to wait another year. Green I think took it a little easy and didn't force anything this year. I would still take him if Ackley is off the board. There are still rumors out there that the Seattle GM prefers to take a pitcher. The Pirates do not need a CF with McLouth or 1B with LaRoche but they could use him at 1B down the road and I think the Padres will pass because of Hairston and Gonzalez but I think the Orioles could afford to play him at 1B in 2012. We will land either Ackley or Green. More good news is coming in a few weeks.

After watching film on all of the pitchers and reading the scouting reports on-line I'm favoring Matzek right now. Usually I'm all for drafting more of a proven college pitcher but I think Matzek will be better than Crow, Scheppers, etc. in 2-4 seasons.

Archived