50th Anniversary of Harvey Haddix's Perfect Game (but not really)

Lester Freamon

Here is a link to an MLB.com article talking about Haddix's feat. He was perfect for 12 innings, but lost the perfect game, no-hitter, shutout and the game itself in the 13th as the Pirates got shutout themselves.

One of the best pitched games in the history of the sport, but it doesn't go down as anything truly special in "the books".

The article also has a video of The Baseball Project performing the song "Harvey Haddix". The group is a side project and brain child of Steve Wynn and Scott McCaughey and also includes Peter Buck of REM. I bought this album off iTunes a few months back. I'd say that the album is fun for baseball fans with a few good tunes about some of the games best characters, including Curt Flood, Jackie Robinson, Fernando Valenzuela and Satchel Paige. The Harvey Haddix song happens to be one of my favorites off the album.

Should Haddix get credited for a no-hitter/perfect game? He did retire 36 in a row. Or should the ruling stay as it is, no perfect game for Haddix?

It used to count as a perfect game. Then, a few years ago, they changed it. Seemed like BS to me, but they did. I don't see why they had to mess around with it.

Except for the balk rule, the rules of the actual game on the field are perfect. The rules about record-keeping is where all the dumb stuff is.

... Except for the balk rule, the rules of the actual game on the field are perfect....

And the DH. :) And the expectations that umpires should be able to divine a pitcher's intent on a pitch that hits (or comes close to hitting) a batter. And probably a few more which escape my recall right now.

Haddix wrapped up his career with the Orioles in 1964-65.

In '64, he saved 10 games, struck out over a batter per inning and held hitters to a .211 batting average in 49 relief appearances.

As a 39-year-old in 1965, he walked 23 batters just like the previous year, but they came in 33 2/3 innings as opposed to 89 2/3 in '64. That was the end.

Archived