DCab DFA'd

Frobby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember a month ago when a large group on here was complaining that the Orioles released Cabrerra and signed Eaton and Hendrickson? Now we have a rotation of Guts, Hill, Bergeson, Berken, and probably Hernandez, and DCab is out of baseball. Guess MacPhail knew what he was doing after all! ;)

Unable to find a place for him in their rotation or their bullpen, and unable to tolerate the idea of watching his continued struggles, the Washington Nationals on Tuesday designated Daniel Cabrera for assignment, cutting ties with the pitcher they signed in the offseason. In eight starts and one relief appearance, Cabrera could find neither the strike zone nor his old mid-90s velocity. The team informed the right-hander of its decision after Tuesday night's 6-1 loss to the Mets at Citi Field.

By removing Cabrera from the roster, the Nationals will eat the remainder of his one-year, $2.6-million contract.

"You have to put your best 25 players on the roster that are giving you a chance to win," acting general manager Mike Rizzo said. "I look beyond the contract and look at the execution and performance of the player, and it wasn't up to par. I was tired of watching him."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/05/cabrera_designated_for_assignm.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

Was that last line really necessary? I couldn't imagine AM saying something like that in a million years. :mad:

There are certain things that should remain unsaid no matter how obvious they are. At the very least they should remain unsaid by people with titles like acting general manager.

I agree. Even if you think it, you have to be a professional. Nothing good can come of saying something like that.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/05/cabrera_designated_for_assignm.html?wprss=nationalsjournal

Was that last line really necessary? I couldn't imagine AM saying something like that in a million years. :mad:

Besides Manny Acta, who I like, there is nothing to like about how the Nationals are run as an organization. Grant it, I like Cabrera personally so I think that last comment was totally unneccesary, but after watching Cabrera pitch last season, it was obvious that there was something wrong because the velocity was gone and he was tough to watch.

His release is not a surprise, but someone will probably pick him up and give him a chance.

As Orioles fans we all are well aware of the fact that years of hopelessness causes frustration to bubble up from time to time. You don't need to bash people, but 13-31 doesn't bring out the best in most folks.

Fans bashing players are one thing, a career baseball professional who's being paid good money to act as general manager of an MLB franchise should have enough maturity and experience dealing with the press to avoid such slip ups in public as part of his official duties. End of story. Is nobody responsible for being civil anymore?

I'd like to see Cabrera catch on somewhere and turn things around. Surely there are pitching coaches around MLB who sit back and say, well now, if I do ____, he might turn around. At the very least, Cabrera can spend some time in the minors somewhere and return as a one-inning type who just airs things out.

Who are the Nationals to decide someone's performance isn't "up to par"? As Buck Martinez sometimes says, "lemme tell you something": the Nationals organization isn't up to par. At all. I'll never forgive them for throwing Frank Robinson under the ramshackle bus they call their baseball operations. I tried watching NYM and WAS the other night, and WAS is just unwatchable. Among their numerous sins, Dibble (Drivel) is a horrible broadcaster and little more than an apologist for a terrible team. It's unfortunate MASN can't spin them off onto a separate, dedicated network--have a Baltimore MASN and a WAS MASN...get to it, PA, et al. Put as much distance between the O's and WAS as possible. :laughlol:

Archived