Clint Hurdle Fired

isestrex

Clint Hurdle of the Rockies has been fired.

Rockies dismiss Hurdle; Tracy gets helm

Both Managers of the 2007 NLCS (Hurdle and Bob Melvin) have since been replaced.

The ownership, that will not spend a dime to improve this club, is simply rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. It isn't Hurdle's fault that the team didn't make an effort to resign Matt Holiday, or their all time saves leader, Brian Fuentes or that Francis would spend the year on the DL.

GM Dan O'Dowd has put together a solid team based on available resources. He is the next one the worst owners in baseball will blame next year at about this time.

And O's fans think they have it tough, at least the team has a direction and seem willing to keep some of their talented home grown players beyond their initial six years.

-Don

The ownership, that will not spend a dime to improve this club, is simply rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. It isn't Hurdle's fault that the team didn't make an effort to resign Matt Holiday, or their all time saves leader, Brian Fuentes or that Francis would spend the year on the DL.

GM Dan O'Dowd has put together a solid team based on available resources. He is the next one the worst owners in baseball will blame next year at about this time.

And O's fans think they have it tough, at least the team has a direction and seem willing to keep some of their talented home grown players beyond their initial six years.

-Don

I live in Denver and all I have to say is has there ever been a player who benefited more from Coors Field than Holiday? I know the Rock's ownership is cheap, but the two things that have hurt them the most have been Francis' disappearance and Tulo's regression. They had good forsite in not offering Holiday a monster contract. He's older and posts a pretty bad OPS outside of Coors. Also, you can't blame them for not offering anything to Fuentes. He's been back and forth in the closers role for the last few years. He's not consistent enough to get a big payday, and the Angels are kicking themselves for signing him. The Rockies player development is worse than the O's used to be. They've had tons of solid to real good pitching prospects and they have all failed pretty miserably.

They hired Jim Tracy! Not only are they trying to sink the ship but they are trying to ruin their future while there at it. He absolutely ruined the Pirates.

Duke always said he had troubles with Tracy trying to "reshape" him. Tracy's gone and Duke is healthy and he's having a good season.

Tracy didn't want to play McLouth because he was not the same type of slap hitting, basestealing CFer he had with Dave Roberts in LA.

Tracy ruined Chris Duffy. Duffy hit .341 his first september up. Tracy came in the next year and tried to make him Dave Roberts as well. Duffy has never been the same since.

You cannot find a quotation from a Pirates player who said they were sad to see him leave. You can find a bunch that said they were glad to see him go. There was tons of talk about how he tried to recreate everyone into the players he had in LA.

This is a seriously sinking ship. If you want a SS for the future Tulo will be available soon. Tracy will refuse to play him because ironically enough he does not play enough like our own cesar isturiz and O'Dowd is dumb enough to trade him. Maybe they can swap them both straight up.

Tracy will refuse to play him because ironically enough he does not play enough like our own cesar isturiz and O'Dowd is dumb enough to trade him. Maybe they can swap them both straight up.

You beat me to it. We have our trade partner should we ever need to rid ourselves of Izturis.

And, for old time's sake, here's Dejan Kovacevic's remarkable post-mortem of Tracy's tenure in Pittsburgh. Some simply astonishing stuff. Kind of hard to believe he's gotten another job.

I live in Denver and all I have to say is has there ever been a player who benefited more from Coors Field than Holiday? I know the Rock's ownership is cheap, but the two things that have hurt them the most have been Francis' disappearance and Tulo's regression. They had good forsite in not offering Holiday a monster contract. He's older and posts a pretty bad OPS outside of Coors. Also, you can't blame them for not offering anything to Fuentes. He's been back and forth in the closers role for the last few years. He's not consistent enough to get a big payday, and the Angels are kicking themselves for signing him. The Rockies player development is worse than the O's used to be. They've had tons of solid to real good pitching prospects and they have all failed pretty miserably.

Fuentes is 13 of 15 in save opportunities this year, the Rox have already blown more than that this year before Street grabbed the closer job back.

Nearly every Rockies' hitter ever has had a worse road OPS than at home.

They didn't even try to negotiate with Holiday, they gave him seven days to accept a four-year deal or go away. Holiday didn't even mind the amount per season, he simply wanted another year or two for stability.

The Monforts take the profits and bank them. And they wonder why they were 'booed' by an otherwise elated, packed house during the NL Championship trophy presentation in '07.

I can't be convinced the Rockies are a better team without Fuentes and Holiday.

I do agree, now that Fowler is up, the farm is very bare for Colorado. That is also on ownership. They shifted the blame to Bell before Hurdle, and will do the same to Tracy and likely O'Dowd next year, and someone else beyond that.

Hurdle did a LOT with not much.

Again, I'm just glad my original home town team has some direction in Baltimore. The Birds may yet be a season or two away, but the Rockies are currently a lifetime away at this point, without some substantive changes or better yet, a team that is sold to some folks who give a *&^# about baseball.

-Don

Archived