Top 26 Prospects in Baseball

QBsILLEST1

Assuming that there are some graduations off of the list this year, what is your top 26 in the MLB including the 09 draft?

Graduating from this list will be:

Price, Wieters, Maybin, Snider, Cahill, Anderson, Porcello, Rasmus, Elvis Andrus(if he was in your top 25), Schafer, Fowler, and anyone else in majors right now who will not be prospect eligible by mid-season. This list Im coming up with is not based off of extensive analysis, just my quick summation....

Here's mine:

1:Hanson

2:Posey

2:Bumgarner

4:Heyward

5:Strasburg

6:Smoak

7:Tillman

8:Feliz

9:LaPorta

10:Matusz

11:Moustakas

12:Ackley

13:Alvarez

14:Inoa

15:Wallace

16:Hosmer

17:Crow

18:T.Beckham

19:J. Parker

20:Arrieta

21:G. Beckham

22:Scheppers

23:McCutchen

24:Alonso

25 Alderson

26:Matzek

Some may say that I am being overgenerous on the players from the 09 draft, and it is difficult to rate a prospect with no professional playing time equally to one with pro playing time, so I kept professional track record as part of the criteria, but not as much emphasis as some may.....Some folks may instantly put Strasburg at the top with no pro time just because there is no real consensus #1 , similar to how Price and Wieters are evenly rated for the current top lists, the top 5 here could be in any order and I would feel satisified that the list is correct.

Strasburg should be #1.
IMO it takes more than scouting reports to make a top prospect list. At least some pro record is required to provide a minimal basis of comparison. With a HS arm you are going on a few scouting reports and hype.

And I really can't see including guys who haven't yet signed. A prospect means a candidate to play in MLB, and you really can't do that without signing a contract first. In the case of Strasburg, that signing is by no means a foregone conclusion for this year.

Might as well put Yu Darvish on the list if you don't require that he has signed with a major league team. At least he has a pro record.

And no Vitters? Tearing it up in full-season ball at age 19? If it were possible, I would draft Matzek and trade him straight up for Vitters the next day.

EDIT: And then if I could I would trade Vitters for Yulieski Gourriel, if you want to talk unsigned prospects. He is just a boat ride from MLB.

No Mike Stanton?

Nope hes very good, but for me hes not a top 26 guy

IMO it takes more than scouting reports to make a top prospect list. At least some pro record is required to provide a minimal basis of comparison. With a HS arm you are going on a few scouting reports and hype.

And I really can't see including guys who haven't yet signed. A prospect means a candidate to play in MLB, and you really can't do that without signing a contract first. In the case of Strasburg, that signing is by no means a foregone conclusion for this year.

Might as well put Yu Darvish on the list if you don't require that he has signed with a major league team. At least he has a pro record.

And no Vitters? Tearing it up in full-season ball at age 19? If it were possible, I would draft Matzek and trade him straight up for Vitters the next day.

EDIT: And then if I could I would trade Vitters for Yulieski Gourriel, if you want to talk unsigned prospects. He is just a boat ride from MLB.

Darvish isnt about to be in the MLB, this is what I would expect the list to be after the draft and after the players are signed. I wrote in the opening post that this is what I expect it to look like after the players are drafted(and signed).

I put the time frame here after the draft, hence the reason I said after the draft, not after all the international players are signed including Darvish who is maybe 9 years away from playing in the MLB....

I'm surprised to see Posey ranked so high. His numbers in the hitter friendly California league are pretty good, but not great. I would expect great numbers in that league. I realize position is important and he's supposed to be very good defensively, but #2 overall? You have Hosmer ranked pretty high and Vitters, not at all. Hosmer is having an ok season, but Vitters, at the same age, is having an outstanding one at the same level. Vitters was considered just as good as Hosmer coming out of HS, as far as I can recall.

I probably should have included Vitters in the top 26, probably right behind Inoa. There are definately places that I could have done a better job, but like I said this is a list I came up with based off of just for fun no deep analysis. That is why I called for other people to make a top 26 list also, especially if people see places that could be improved.....

As for Posey, I think he could rank anywhere from 2-8 but feel he is closer toward the 2 3 range. He will be very good offensively and defensively. Honestly him and Smoak I would rate very similarly, with the edge going to Posey due to positional value.....

Strasberg is 3 year starter at San Diego State, not a HS arm.

Archived