Matusz vs Smoak - Jim Callis perspective

tywright

What about G. Beckham? Just like this year, there were three players last year where I had no problem with whoever they picked. You could envision the following:

1. Two switch hitters in the 3 and 4 hole with JS & MW

2. Matusz as a number 1 or 2 in the rotation

3. GB as a above average SS.

Jordan has reached Ozzie status for me. I don't question and enjoy the ride.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only buying bats and growing arms is not the way to approach building a competitive team. You have to be willing to do a little of the opposite of each.

There is no "only" in the equation of how to build a team that I believe MacPhail is following. As it has been mentioned, the Orioles have grown 2/3rds of their current OF, their catcher, their 2b. If he continues to make progress they might be able to add 1b/DH to that list. Pitching is Gold, we need to keep accumulating as much high ceiling pitching as we can.

What about G. Beckham? Just like this year, there were three players last year where I had no problem with whoever they picked. You could envision the following:

1. Two switch hitters in the 3 and 4 hole with JS & MW

2. Matusz as a number 1 or 2 in the rotation

3. GB as a above average SS.

Jordan has reached Ozzie status for me. I don't question and hang on for the the ride.

Wild Bill alert.

It will cost more for the team to sign a player or to trade for a player that would put up the stats a Smoak, Posey or Beckham would provide during that same 6 year run.

Like when AM traded a pitcher... for Adam Jones... as well as Tillman and Sherrill?

Like when AM traded a pitcher... for Adam Jones... as well as Tillman and Sherrill?

Think if we still had Bedard as well as Adam Jones. That's my point. Had we drafted Jones, we wouldn't have needed to trade Bedard to get him.

Think if we still had Bedard as well as Adam Jones. That's my point. Had we drafted Jones, we wouldn't have needed to trade Bedard to get him.

But......you got much more than just Jones for Bedard.

You are saying:

Jones

is better than

Jones, Tillman, Sherrill, Mickolio, Butler

Baltimore drafted one player, only had to cover the costs associated with developing one player, then cashed that one player in for five, four of which are positive value already (though I'm tying Mickolio's value to what someone like Baseball America says -- I don't think he's a top ten prospect, but he certainly has a special arm).

Jones wasn't Jones until a couple years after he was drafted and developed. If you are so good at knowing which of these position guys are going to pan out and do so well that we can just draft them before we have to trade from them, then why weren't you doing the mock over in the amateur forum? Why weren't you giving scouting reports on these guys? Why don't you tell us who we should be drafting since you don't agree with taking pitching ever and it is so easy just to draft every good position player in the draft each year?

But......you got much more than just Jones for Bedard.

You are saying:

Baltimore drafted one player, only had to cover the costs associated with developing one player, then cashed that one player in for five, four of which are positive value already (though I'm tying Mickolio's value to what someone like Baseball America says -- I don't think he's a top ten prospect, but he certainly has a special arm).

You'll never penetrate JTrea's irreducible logic. Turn back now, mortal, or prepare to be humiliated.

The little three are up and pitching well, the big three are not far behind. If they all work out, we're going to have about 8 or 9 guys to fit in 5 spots. Meanwhile we have a hole at 3rd and maybe SS and 1B. I would have taken Smoak. It would have been nice if Snyder could do 3rd.

The little three are up and pitching well, the big three are not far behind. If they all work out, we're going to have about 8 or 9 guys to fit in 5 spots. Meanwhile we have a hole at 3rd and maybe SS and 1B. I would have taken Smoak. It would have been nice if Snyder could do 3rd.

If you don't recognize how having "8 or 9 guys to fill 5 spots" while having a hole at "SS and maybe SS and 1B" isn't exactly a irremediable problem, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Assets are assets.

Wow, you really think of Matusz as just a #3? IMO if he came up right now, hed be atleast as good as a #3. When he gets settled in as a MLer he will IMO be atleast a #2 and has the stuff and poise to do it. I do not get why its so hard to understand the value of pitching. Look at our team at the beginning of this year which was basically a good offensive team with no pitching. We were not winning ball games, then look what our team transformed into once we got some good pitching up here. Pitching wins you world series championships, not a good hitting 1stbaseman. Over the past decade, we have had some decent offensive clubs and have failed every single year because of the lack of pitching. Arent you tired of trying the same thing and losing over and over again?

Dont you know what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result..........Lets try somethign else for a change eh?

Archived