JJ: We'll go with best available player

I think this could be a year that most teams in the top 10 stick to slot money and take their chances with the player accepting. It will be interesting to see how many teams offer under slot and are willing to take the pick next year if the player doesn't bite.

Everything I've read is that slot is dead. Teams are going to pay what they think a player is worth, not what the league says should be payed for their draft position.

Everything I've read is that slot is dead. Teams are going to pay what they think a player is worth, not what the league says should be payed for their draft position.

Not true. Slot is the MLB Front Office recommended amount to pay each pick. Until the MLB stops suggesting amounts, it is not dead. MLB reportedly rolled back the slot amount 10% from last year, but it is still a recommendation (with a stern look) in the end. They can't do anything if a team goes over slot to punish them, but supposedly if that team doesn't adhere to a set process in order to go over slot, MLB fines them.

Archived