Report: Braves interested in Luke Scott... and Felix Pie?

My O's Face

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get why everyone hates this trade for the Pirates. Frankly, I love it for them. They sold high on McLouth. The starter they got back is ML ready. Plus this clears room for McCutchen. Sheds his contract...I don't see the downside here.

I don't get why everyone hates this trade for the Pirates. Frankly, I love it for them. They sold high on McLouth. The starter they got back is ML ready. Plus this clears room for McCutchen. Sheds his contract...I don't see the downside here.

Agreed. McLouth is actually pretty overrated because he is, in fact, a crappy defensive CF even though people get the impression he is great out there.

He was expensive, and they get a solid OF prospect in Hernandez and two pitching prospects, plus McCutchen now gets to come up and play center and actually give them plus defense. To team with Morgan in left, thats the makings of a wonderful defensive outfield.

Honestly, Hanson being called up is wayyyy more exciting for Braves fans than getting McLouth IMO.

Even more, I'd trust Huntington's judgment over Wren's every day (based on track record). Pittsburgh isn't a joke anymore, and they have on savvy front office.

I like what Huntington says here:

"This may be the toughest decision we have made in my time with the organization. Nate is a quality player and person but, as we have said several times, tough decisions will need to be made as we build and sustain a championship-caliber organization. Nate has worked as hard as any player to become a starting major league Player, proving wrong anyone who may have doubted him. When we signed Nate to a long-term contract, we did so with the intent on having him remain part of our core of homegrown talent. But the quality and quantity of talent we are receiving in this trade moves us closer to our goal of building that sustainable championship-caliber club and compelled us to move a very good player and an outstanding young man."

That's the key...When you are building, you have to do what is best for the long term of your club...Trading guys like Scott and Guthrie are very similiar to this..if the return is good.

BTW, does this mean they are out of the Scott sweepstakes? I mean, don't they still have other OF issues?

It means they won't want Pie but doesn't mean they are neccassarily out of the Luke Scott sweepstakes.

He was expensive, and they get a solid OF prospect in Hernandez and two pitching prospects, plus McCutchen now gets to come up and play center and actually give them plus defense. To team with Morgan in left, thats the makings of a wonderful defensive outfield.
He gets paid $2 million this year and $11 million for the two after that. The reason Atlanta was able to do this was because he didn't cost much in terms of salary, basically a wash after releasing Glavine.

Agreed. I think this is a great deal for the Pirates.

100% with you, buddy. Great, great move for PIT. Nice package (including upper-level pitching with Morton, which PIT needs) and clears room for McCutchen to get going.

Decent trade for Pittsburgh, but it's not like they decided to trade their franchise's best pitcher and best position player and getting back a future all-star centerfielder, serviceable ML closer, one of the top pitching prospects in baseball, the American Leagues best designated hitter, solid middle reliever, and one of the Eastern Leagues best left-handed starting pitchers. I think I'll keep our GM.

Archived