Braves get their man - Mclouth!

Fan4Life

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just saw on CBS that the Pirates traded their one and only All-star MClouth to the Braves for a bunch of spare parts. I feel confident that with McPhail, we will not have to worry about being fleeced like this.

On a side note.... How does this affect the market concerning OF's? I guess the Braves - Scott/Pie rumors can die now...

McLouth didn't get more back because GMs are a lot smarter than Gold Glove voters. So the Braves gave the Pirates a package befitting a guy who's peaking and can't really play center field.

What is it with Pittsburg? Their Football team is better then ours. Their Hockey team beats up the Caps. They beat us twice in the World Series. Now, when it comes to historically crappy baseball teams, the Pirates beat us so bad it isnt even a contest.

I guess I have to blame McPhail for ruining my idea of what to expect out of trades. I mean, after the Bedard and Tejada trades, I don't think I will ever be satisfied with "even up" again.

.... At least until we trade Huff to the Nat's for Strasburg:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hernandez is #62 in Baseball America's top 100, and Morton and Locke aren't on the list.

I support the idea of selling high on McLouth when you've got blocked prospects with greater potential, but I can't believe that they couldn't do any better than the 62nd-best prospect who's probably two years away from MLB. Besides, those rankings are from before this season, and I can't imagine that the aforementioned .387 SLG has pushed Hernandez any farther up the list.

Nate McLouth is a really good player. They probaly could have gotten a little more for him (quality not quantity wise). Gorkys is real good, but the other two are just ok. You would they could have at least gotten Jordan Schafer, especially for an all star who still has 2 or 3 years left on their contract.

McLouth is a good player, but I think he's a little overrated. He was in no way comparable to Jason Bay, and I actually think the Pirates are selling high here. With McCutchen coming up too, the move doesn't look too bad considering they're getting a toolsy outfielder and two decent arms in exchange.

The Pirates have more pieces than given credit for and they have McCutcheon ready to come up in the OF to replace McClouth.

That organization is better run today than in many years - like several organizations, they seem a couple SP away from being credible or better and they can pick up a major pitcher in the upcoming draft.

If they draft Crow and eventually promote Alvarez, McCutcheon and if Morton pans out, they will be closer to competing than many believe.

That organization is better run today than in many years - like several organizations, they seem a couple SP away from being credible or better and they can pick up a major pitcher in the upcoming draft.

If they draft Crow and eventually promote Alvarez, McCutcheon and if Morton pans out, they will be closer to competing than many believe.

Im not real sure their offense is close at all to contending. Remember, they just traded their most recognizable name on offense, along with their other two starting OF's last year. Now the most recognizable name on the roster offensive wise is Jack Wilson, who has around a 670 OPS. Doumit is their best player, but is out for 2 and a half months with a wrist injury. Os fans have first hand knowledge of what a wrist injury can do to a player(Jay Gibbons). Although they have Alvarez and McCutchen (who is in my mind overrated), they still need many more players to compete.

Im not real sure their offense is close at all to contending. Remember, they just traded their most recognizable name on offense, along with their other two starting OF's last year. Now the most recognizable name on the roster offensive wise is Jack Wilson, who has around a 670 OPS. Doumit is their best player, but is out for 2 and a half months with a wrist injury. Os fans have first hand knowledge of what a wrist injury can do to a player(Jay Gibbons). Although they have Alvarez and McCutchen (who is in my mind overrated), they still need many more players to compete.

Luckily, "recognizable" has nothing to do with whether you are actually good or not.

McLouth is overrated, and the Pirates got a solid deal for him, not to mention it opens up CF for McCutcheon, a guy who can actually play CF.

Archived