Where would Matusz go?

Judging by what most people have said about Matusz, and the strength of last year's draft vs. this one, I'd say 2nd.

Then again, Matusz could have easily gone 2nd last year as well.

Third after Ackley.

I forget who, but I remember one baseball analyst saying that Ackley would rank above Matusz in this draft.

Not even close. Ackley wouldn't have been ranked in the top 6 last year. His inflated value is due to being the best hitter in a horridly weak hitting year.

Both Beckhams, Alvarez, Smoak, Hosmer, and Matusz would all be rated higher.

One guy's opinion does not a fact make, you should know this by now better than most :)

I'd take Matusz over anyone in the 2009 draft not named Strasburg. Matzek is a younger, less polished version of Matusz and Ackley's not really close. Everyone else is a tier or more below.

I know this sounds partially nuts, but I may take Matusz over Strasburg. I said it. Flame away. (signing demands and long-term durability).

This is true, but I also think the handling of a pitcher really makes a huge difference too. I don't trust that the Nats will handle Strasburg well.

I also think (or maybe assume is a better word) the O's handled Loewen pretty terribly. He moved way too quickly for my taste, major league contract or not. He clearly wasn't mechanically sound enough to advance like he did. I think the O's got suckered into treating him like a top draft pick instead of a young player that needed to be fully developed. For this reason, I don't blame him for leaving the organization (any more). Thankfully, AM doesn't seem likely to make that same mistake.

This is true, but I also think the handling of a pitcher really makes a huge difference too. I don't trust that the Nats will handle Strasburg well.

I also think (or maybe assume is a better word) the O's handled Loewen pretty terribly. He moved way too quickly for my taste, major league contract or not. He clearly wasn't mechanically sound enough to advance like he did. I think the O's got suckered into treating him like a top draft pick instead of a young player that needed to be fully developed. For this reason, I don't blame him for leaving the organization (any more). Thankfully, AM doesn't seem likely to make that same mistake.

I agree with all this. Loewen was handled like a guy that "had" to make it by a certain date, almost like he was signed to a ML contract from the get-go.

Oh wait: he was. :rolleyes:

I'm not a scouthead by any means, but I do know that Matusz was ranked comfortably ahead of Aaron Crow by most observers last year, and that a lot of people believe that Crow is the 2nd best pitcher in the draft after Strasburg this year, so that suggests that Matusz would be considered the 2nd best pitcher this year.

I agree with all this. Loewen was handled like a guy that "had" to make it by a certain date, almost like he was signed to a ML contract from the get-go.

Oh wait: he was. :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly how to take this, but despite his contract, there was more time available to develop Loewen.

IMHO, after Strasburg the Mariners would have a tough choice between Ackley and Matusz, but they would likely go for Matusz. Ackley may be the best hitter this decade (along with excellent speed and promising power), but there are still concerns about his full recovery and position. So Seattle would have likely played it safe and taken the very talented arm in Matusz.

I'm not a scouthead by any means, but I do know that Matusz was ranked comfortably ahead of Aaron Crow by most observers last year, and that a lot of people believe that Crow is the 2nd best pitcher in the draft after Strasburg this year, so that suggests that Matusz would be considered the 2nd best pitcher this year.

Agreed... Matusz would be #2 this year.

Archived