glorydays

Is it time to fire Trembley  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to fire Trembley

• Yes, fire him immediately
    • No, but don't bring him back next season
    • No, I still have faith in DT and would like to see him back next season

This poll is closed to new votes

OK... Everyone has had their say as to what DT is doing wrong. The real question that nobody is asking is - is it time for the O's to move on. Hence the poll. 3 answers:

1 - Yes, remove him now.

2 - No, but don't bring him back next season

3 - No, I still have faith in DT and believe he is the correct manager to lead the O's this season and into the future.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is NOT a "real question that nobody is asking".

I voice a lot of criticism of DT, but I am a long way from considering letting him go.

IMO, such speculation is in poor taste. So far, the discussions about displeasure with DT have been on point, but this kind of thread is the sort of wild speculation that belongs on lesser sites. Just my opinion.

There should be a fourth option. "No, I still have faith in him as of right now but that could change in the future."

I am pretty far from calling for his head but if the team really fails to respond to him the rest of the season for some reason then I could easily think we need to make a change.

We need to remember, that though we have had some young surprises this team still isn't built to win right now. The best manager in the league couldn't make this a playoff team this year.

As the other thread about DT will show, he has his faults but isn't a bad manager. Let me ask this:

Suppose we did fire DT. Who would replace him? Would we hire a "name" manager, i.e., LaRussa or Leyland, both of whom are on the last years of their current deals, or do we go for an organizational type from our own or someone else's minor league system? With the former, you'd almost have to say we're far enough along in developing a solid nucleus to turn to that "name" manager's approach, however different it might be from what we're already doing; with the latter, well, what'd be the difference between such a person and DT?

I say we keep DT through 2011 or 2012. At that point, if the rising prospects don't get us anywhere, then it's time to make a change. I am in favor, however, of immediately terminating Juan "The Windmill" Samuel--he seems to get poor reads of who's on base in which situation, and often sends said baserunners into plays that result in outs by ~10-12 feet. That just won't do.

It is NOT a "real question that nobody is asking".

I voice a lot of criticism of DT, but I am a long way from considering letting him go.

IMO, such speculation is in poor taste. So far, the discussions about displeasure with DT have been on point, but this kind of thread is the sort of wild speculation that belongs on lesser sites. Just my opinion.

But, you just gave the answer to the question that nobody is asking, but I just asked. Asking the question if people think that it may be time to move on when every other thread is a negative thread on his management style is not in 'poor taste' IMO - it is just taking those negative threads to the next logical step...

I think he's done a pretty bad job of on-field managing so far. But this organization doesn't need any more stirring up right now, and the players like him, it seems. So give him to the end of the season to learn and make adjustments.

I don't see what warrants a thread like this. Sure, some may say that he has mismanaged the bullpen and not given the bench guys enough starts. In some cases, I agree with this.

But every manager in all of professional baseball has done this. Everyone has their flukes and mistakes. It's bound to happen.

And look at what he has had to work with. Trembley is just now getting a decent team. Very good lineup with what looks like an up-and-coming rotation.

So, no, the Orioles should not fire Dave Trembley. And I don't think they will either. They will give him the chance to succeed with a playoff-contending team.

I would be interested in the people who say he should be fired to chime in on why they picked that option.

I like Trembley a lot and voted against firing him and giving him more time. Give him the team he wants, that has the best chance to win, and he might actually be better.

My choice wasn't exactly on there. No don't fire Dave Trembley until the right manager is available. The right manager being decided by Andy McPhail. If it takes two years or more to have the right manager available, so be it. But don't fire him and then have to take whoever happens to be available at that moment.

Archived