Prep Arms... No True Consensus

I always thought that Matzek couldn't bring the heat, but after reports that he was pumping it in at 98 and 97 his last two outing, combined with the fact that he has 4 refined pitches as a high schooler makes me like him the most. Then again I haven't see any of the prep pitchers yet so whatever Jordan thinks is best I'll trust him. I hope they go top prep pitcher over a college pitcher. It's be nice to have two players who project to be top of the line starters down in the lower ranks of the system. (Bundy and 2009 top pick).

I feel fairly certain that Matzek is not throwing quite that hard, at least not with any regularity. He can hit 94, but regularly throws low 90's... plenty hard considering his other tools.

I wouldn't be upset if the O's wound up with Wheeler or Turner instead of Matzek.

One question--it seems like Matzek already has established that he has three or four quality pitchers, while Wheeler and Turner have yet to show mastery of the changeup. Doesn't that mean there's more of a risk that Wheeler will wind up in the bullpen, while Matzek is more of a sure thing to stay as a starter? That would seem to be a pretty important consideration.

I believe that is true... although Wheeler may eventually add that third offering and become a very good starter. Time will tell.

Archived